Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrathofhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
My jailbroken iPhone 3GS running on 3.1 was not responding to anything so I did the home button + power button reset, and it seems to be in this loop of turning on, staying on for about 40 seconds, then just shuts off. My computer won't detect it, I have tried SSH'ing so I can back up my stuff that way, because I haven't backed up since last October, which is not a good thing at all. I have heard of iRecovery but I'm not sure if it will put my phone in restore mode or not, I DO NOT want to restore my phone. Unless I really have to, but hopefully someone can elaborate for me exactly what iRecovery does, or if theres something else I can do.

wrathofhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Do you have a tethered jailbreak? Search on those terms to learn more about it, but all you need to do is start the jailbreak process and it'll boot up.

I don't have the tethered jailbreak, it still shuts off when I plug it into my computer.

elianigris

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
solved?

i have the exact same problem, please, were you able to at least get it back to work (ever losing data)? i need it to start!!!!!! i need it to turn on and work

ajayvarma87

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Please Help

Hey i have the same problem right now. i soft restored my phone by holding down the two buttons for 10 secs and now it shows the apple logo for about 30secs then switches off. when i plug it into wall it will restart then switch off. i can get into DFU mode but i dont want to do a software restore! i have not backed up my phone for months and i have phone numbers i need are there any tools out there that can force boot up a phone from say, DFU mode? restoring is not an option. Please help!

graham3d

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
My jailbroken iPhone 3GS running on 3.1 was not responding to anything so I did the home button + power button reset, and it seems to be in this loop of turning on, staying on for about 40 seconds, then just shuts off. My computer won't detect it, I have tried SSH'ing so I can back up my stuff that way, because I haven't backed up since last October, which is not a good thing at all. I have heard of iRecovery but I'm not sure if it will put my phone in restore mode or not, I DO NOT want to restore my phone. Unless I really have to, but hopefully someone can elaborate for me exactly what iRecovery does, or if theres something else I can do.

I have the same problem, but mine is not jailbroken!!
I took it to the applestore and they tried for an hour. But they couldn't "get in to it".

They simply said that it was vintage and I should get a new one (even though they sold it to me as a new one 14 months ago). :(
Id still like to see if I can fix it.

Its plugged into my computer. The computer does not see it. But what happens is a distinctive pattern.
The apple logo appears for 15 to 25 seconds then switches off for 15 to 25 seconds. It isn't always the same time.
I figure it must be a system message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.