Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc.cizravi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone know how I can set a permanent Reply To header for all my mail accounts in Mail?

I've found a couple scripts by searching the net, but all old stuff and nothing that works... anyone care to take a crack at it?

Applecare's official stance is that you need to type it in manually for every message... there has to be some way around this.

thanks in advance :apple:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So you're saying you want to send all replies to the same address, regardless of where the email came from?

marc.cizravi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But the people who send you emails won't see any of your replies, if you send them all to yourself. That's not making any sense.

ok, let's say I run 4 different websites. @1.com @2.com and @3.com, each of these different sites has info@1.com and info@2.com and info@3.com. When people email me for the first time, I respond accordingly from the account they've sent a message to. However, FROM THEN ON I'd like them to reply to personal@me.com, so I want the "Reply-To" header always set to personal@me.com.

re-reading your reply, I don't think you understand what the 'Reply To' field accomplishes when writing a new message.

Make the distinction between the 'To' field and 'Reply-To' field.

marc.cizravi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
The following does not add a Reply-To header, but changes the From header so all the replies go where you want them to -- works for me:

Go to Mail Preferences..., Accounts, select info@1.com, Account Information, "Email Address:" and change it to the desired reply destination of personal@me.com. (Don't change the address in the "User Name:" field, though).

Now all mail sent from info@1.com will show up as From personal@me.com, so replies will go to personal@me.com.

Don't know how to send the first email with a From header of info@1.com, though.

Would that work for you?
Brian33.

marc.cizravi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The following does not add a Reply-To header, but changes the From header so all the replies go where you want them to -- works for me:

Go to Mail Preferences..., Accounts, select info@1.com, Account Information, "Email Address:" and change it to the desired reply destination of personal@me.com. (Don't change the address in the "User Name:" field, though).

Now all mail sent from info@1.com will show up as From personal@me.com, so replies will go to personal@me.com.

Don't know how to send the first email with a From header of info@1.com, though.

Would that work for you?
Brian33.

That actually might do it, I'll have a look tonight (not near my macs right now).

I actually got a hold of someone who scripts and he's going to look at the one linked above~

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Would that work for you?
Brian33.
That doesn't work. That has nothing to do with replies. It only changes the email address used in composing a new message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.