Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfrees

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Does anyone know if the iBooks app will allow you to take notes on a book?

Thanks

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Does anyone know if the iBooks app will allow you to take notes on a book?

Thanks

From the videos on the site. It does not appear so.

Again, my suggestion is to get the Kindle app when it is available and purchase your books for the Kindle. The app (if it's like the iPhone app) will allow you to highlight, take notes, and provide bookmarks. All of those will be synced back to their cloud so even if you lose your device or delete the book from the Kindle app those notes, highlights and bookmarks will be available if you redownload the book.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I would have liked to see some form of note taking on the ibook reader, so what I plan on doing is putting casual books in iBooks and using PDF files in PadNotes, as the lets one take notes on files.

tfrees

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Mossberg says it doesnt have it...

"I also found iBooks, Apple's book reader and store, easy to use, and read a couple of books on it. I consider the larger color screen superior to the Kindle's, and encountered no eye strain. But the iPad is much heavier than the Kindle and most people will need two hands to use it. The iBooks app also lacks any way to enter notes, and Apple's catalog at launch will only be about 60,000 books versus more than 400,000 for Kindle."

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
If true that you can't put notes into the iBook app, this will be my first real disappointment with the device. I know you can copy and paste, and I may end up doing that at first to keep notes, but I hope Apple updates this quickly.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
That makes it a bit of a negative for potential student use. They can't conveniently take notes but would have to jump out of a book, make a note and then return.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
How do you know this about the Kindle app?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000490441

Look at the tablet computer including ipad portion

Create bookmarks, notes, and highlights, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle

It's also already in the iPhone app. I wouldn't think it'd be that difficult to completely port the entire thing over to the iPad, including the bookmarks, annotations and highlighting.

Face it. iBooks is a 1.0 app. It isn't as great as everyone made it out to be. Shock. All the arguments over whether the Kindle was dying because of the iPad. Blah blah blah blah.

Kindle isn't going anywhere.

And never mind copying and pasting text from iBooks. I really don't think that will be available in any large capacity, if at all. Copyright protection and all. Maybe on open epub's but not on purchased books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.