Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hybridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Hello.
I just bought Power mac G5 dual 2.0 precessor. It has OS 10.4.11 on it and I wouldlike to upgrade to 10.5.8. Can I upgrade directly or do I need to something else before that. Sorry this is my first Apple computer. Been always a PC guy. Thanks for any help.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
you need to buy 10.5 upgrade discs, look on ebay or craigslist, they wont be very cheap though ;), make sure you get proper disc, dont buy them if there grey disc, as they are machine specific ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry, but that's not good info. Hope you come back...

Call Apple to order a Leopard retail disc. Last month, I saw a post that said "I got it for $80."

If you order from eBay seller, you might get a machine-specific disc (or set) that will not install on your Mac, unless you have a system for winning the lottery. ;)

People selling their old disc sets are trying to turn them into cash, and are charging outlandish prices in some cases. Stay away from gray discs. You want the black one with a big X on it.

hybridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks gregg2. I'll check out the Apple store this weekend. One more question on PC, I used to clone my hard drive with Acronis and wonder what program can I use in Mac to clone my hard drive? Sorry this is my first Mac and need some idea. Thanks for any help.:)

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
My recommendation to you is the following:

1. purchase an external hard drive with a firewire connection.
2. backup your drive to the external drive using super duper (I like super duper more than carbon copy cloner, but both are good).
3. Change your settings so you boot from the external hard drive (this is one of the cool things about OS X, that the boot drive can be internal or external).
4. Upgrade the external drive OS from 10.4 to 10.5 using whatever option you like.
5. Make sure you are happy with the results.
6. Change your boot drive to your internal drive and perform the upgrade (alternatively you could just use super duper to copy the contents of the external drive to the internal drive).

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Of course if this is a new machine and you haven't started populating it yet with your user data, then I would simply go for a fresh install of 10.5 without going through the hassle of testing the upgrade out on an external hard drive first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.