Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

Ignore Shipping Delay Emails

I just got the same email that everyone is getting about Saturday delivery is not available in my area, but I have a strong suspicion that these emails are phishing attempts. A) It doesnt look like a typical email. I usually get HTML emails and this was just text. B) Its actually a smart idea for a phisher to send these out hoping to get your Apple login info. With that info they could change your shipping address.

I have been told several times by several customer support reps from Apple and UPS that they have worked out a special arrangement with UPS to insure everyone gets theirs on Saturday. So ignore shipping delay emails and your tracking number. Just be patient. I was patient up until Modern Family came on last night followed by the onslaught of iPad reviews. Now I feel like a crack addict with no crack in sight...
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

They are phishing attempts.

Google: do_not_reply@apple.com
GeekLawyer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3
stridemat

Are you able to post a picture of the email? Obviously blank out you personal details.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Are you able to post a picture of the email? Obviously blank out you personal details.
It's here, but it looks awfully fishy to me.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:51 PM   #5
GregGebhardt
Banned

I do not think so as I have two friends who got this email and both called and talked to UPS and were both told that there is no Saturday delivery for their address.

You are just getting people's hopes up for another crushing blow!
GregGebhardt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #6
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

"Sold-to Address?" That's called the Billing Address in all of Apple's other emails.

Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7
stevers23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
They are phishing attempts.

Google: do_not_reply@apple.com
This was my first thought as well, but how did they get our shipping/billing address, PO number, Order number, Web order number, and Apple customer number?!

The link in the email is also functional and links directly to your order.
stevers23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #8
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

they are fake because if you clicked the link i subject you change your password
flyguy206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #9
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

If it has your correct order number and correct ship to address, it's not just a random phishing email.

If this is a last minute email they decided to send out, I doubt it went thru the normal beautification process.

True test. Is the link included a misdirection to a bogus site?
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

This doesn't sound like social engineering to me. It doesn't ask you to respond with information, and the link directs you to Apple's secure log-in page. Where's the phishing?
Aduntu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:00 PM   #11
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aduntu View Post
This doesn't sound like social engineering to me. It doesn't ask you to respond with information, and the link directs you to Apple's secure log-in page. Where's the phishing?
That is how they get it they make a fake page up that looks like the real thing. When i clicked the link get gave me we can't validate security& and that never happen to me before. So i am thinking they want your pass word and look who keeps making these threads newbies they are trying to trick you. change your pass word now if you clicked the link
flyguy206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy206 View Post
That is how they get it they make a fake page up that looks like the real thing. When i clicked the link get gave me we can't validate security& and that never happen to me before. So i am thinking they want your pass word and look who keeps making these threads newbies they are trying to trick you. change your pass word now if you clicked the link
There is no fake page. The page is still at apple.com. Type in the address from the email yourself, and it will redirect you to their SSL site.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:05 PM   #13
admanimal
macrumors 68040

OK guys it isn't that difficult to check if something is really a phishing scam or not. All you have to do is right click on the link and do a Copy Link, and then paste it directly into the address bar in your browser. Does it say www.apple.com/something? Then it's not a phishing scam. Note that it's essential to do a Copy Link rather than just highlighting and copying the text that appears in the email.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

For the record, I'm not saying the email is legit. I'm just saying that the link provided in it does not link to a phishing site. It also does not ask for private information.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:10 PM   #15
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

I don't think it's phishing, actually. I think it's punking. Someone is trying to have some April 1st fun with the forum.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:11 PM   #16
stevers23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
OK guys it isn't that difficult to check if something is really a phishing scam or not. All you have to do is right click on the link and do a Copy Link, and then paste it directly into the address bar in your browser. Does it say www.apple.com/something? Then it's not a phishing scam. Note that it's essential to do a Copy Link rather than just highlighting and copying the text that appears in the email.
Here is the copied link per your instructions:
http://www.apple.com/orderstatus
stevers23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:13 PM   #17
diabolic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't think it's phishing, actually. I think it's punking. Someone is trying to have some April 1st fun with the forum.
So, everyone posting that the email had their actual order number and info are actually in on the joke?

The email looks nothing like any that I have ever received from Apple.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:13 PM   #18
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers23 View Post
Here is the copied link per your instructions:
http://www.apple.com/orderstatus
But above you said: The link in the email is also functional and links directly to your order.

So which is it? The generic order status link? Or a direct-link to your personal order status? All my emails from Apple go to my personal order status. BS.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:14 PM   #19
rtabdo
Banned

http://macs.about.com/b/2008/08/11/p...es-as-bait.htm

The current fake email making the rounds has 'iTunes Store (do_not_reply@apple.com)' or just 'do_not_reply@apple.com' in the 'From' field, and 'Important: Billing Problem' in the 'Subject' field.
rtabdo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:16 PM   #20
diabolic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
All my emails from Apple go to my personal order status. BS.
I'll back you up here on this. Every email I've ever received from Apple about an order had a direct link to the order itself. Even when the link only said "Order Status" it takes you directly to the order, not the login page.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:17 PM   #21
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtabdo View Post
http://macs.about.com/b/2008/08/11/p...es-as-bait.htm

The current fake email making the rounds has 'iTunes Store (do_not_reply@apple.com)' or just 'do_not_reply@apple.com' in the 'From' field, and 'Important: Billing Problem' in the 'Subject' field.
Spoofing an email address is not difficult. I can send you an email from SJobs@apple.com if I want. That doesn't mean that do_not_reply@apple.com isn't real.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:17 PM   #22
GregGebhardt
Banned

Some of you need a reality check! How in the heck would a phishing email have your order number, etc.

The email is REAL! UPS DOES NOT DELIVER TO ALL AREAS ON SATURDAY!

I have used UPS for years and their Saturday delivery area is limited!

How old are some of you?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:19 PM   #23
GregGebhardt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aduntu View Post
Spoofing an email address is not difficult. I can send you an email from SJobs@apple.com if I want. That doesn't mean that do_not_reply@apple.com isn't real.
But you can NOT reference my order number can you?

These emails reference the customers order number!

They are real
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:19 PM   #24
goobot
macrumors 68040

but how do they know all the info?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:20 PM   #25
mkruck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
Some of you need a reality check! How in the heck would a phishing email have your order number, etc.

The email is REAL! UPS DOES NOT DELIVER TO ALL AREAS ON SATURDAY!

I have used UPS for years and their Saturday delivery area is limited!

How old are some of you?
It's quite possible that UPS, Apple and/or the data centers hosting their environments has been breached. Once that has occurred, getting into a database to mine name, order numbers, addresses, etc., is a pretty easy thing to do.

"But wait", you say, "how do you know this"?

I'm the Cyber Security Director for a Fortune 500 company. I deal with things like this every day of the week.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad