Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Hey everyone, i love this forum, so much more useful than Google :) anyways, i have 3 Errors in Permissions, none are ever repaired, can you tell me what's going on lol :)

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

i have noticed one says something about FlashPlayer :D hope this sorts the random graphical glitches i have when using YouTube lol, thanks for any help :)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
/usr/share/derby - Known issue, safely ignore

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent - Known issue, safely ignore

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

The flash one is strange, is probably not a problem. You can repair it manually via Finder by giving the admin group read & write. You can also do it via Terminal:

Code:
sudo chmod g+w /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Hey everyone, i love this forum, so much more useful than Google :) anyways, i have 3 Errors in Permissions, none are ever repaired, can you tell me what's going on lol :)

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

i have noticed one says something about FlashPlayer :D hope this sorts the random graphical glitches i have when using YouTube lol, thanks for any help :)

You can safely ignore those messages. Youtube graphical glitches have no relation with file access restrictions.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
thanks peeps, great help :) and next thread... what the hell is wrong with Flash Player and all these stupid graphical glitches... :(

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
/usr/share/derby - Known issue, safely ignore
What is it that we "know"?
If it's an Apple bug, why not say so?

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent - Known issue, safely ignore

Training people to safely ignore suid warnings (without even knowing why) is probably the sorriest side effect of that bug. The fact is: we can probably ignore those messages (because thankfully{?} they're probably due to that bug), but we can never really *know* that for sure, without doing some digging on each user's computer individually.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448
Ah yes . . . the hall of shame . . . the top 100 reasons we can't trust a permissions report . . . an assortment of false messages which only mislead users who might also happen to be experiencing real issues . . . or . . . the list of files with which hackers can freely tinker (because users are instructed that those are items to simply ignore).

The flash one is strange, is probably not a problem. You can repair it manually via Finder by giving the admin group read & write. You can also do it via Terminal:
Code:
sudo chmod g+w /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt
Why make that file less secure? Adobe seems to be concerned... maybe we should be too.

--

EDIT: calderone, i realize you're just trying to help skate71290 get back to enjoying h/is/er Mac. Unfortunately, pointing to that kbdoc (without mentioning the bug) also serves to perpetuate the conviction that this behavior from Disk Utility is 'intended' or 'normal' somehow... thus simultaneously disguising that behind all this lies a bug. The less aware users are out there, the more (blind) acceptance to the "norm"... the longer this mediocrity will prevail.

I would like to see Disk Utility (and/or the software update process, which is likely the source of this bug) return to its former trustworthy state (which existed from 10.4.6 - 10.4.11). So... i occasionally post these little rants. I don't mean for you to be a casualty, but hopefully an ally, to help spread the word. Threads like this one (false reports from a repair utility) shouldn't even exist.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
wow, that was a rant lol, loved it, and i'm a guy by the way lol, so are these issues serious? They don't seem to have any effect on my laptop, just thought they might do something special if fixed lol, i thought that my ***** Flash Player was down to that Permission error, but if it's just Disk Utility not reporting back properly i'm not restoring Snow Leopard just for that... way too much effort lol, thanks for your help :)

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA

Training people to safely ignore suid warnings (without even knowing why) is probably the sorriest side effect of that bug. The fact is: we can probably ignore those messages (because thankfully{?} they're probably due to that bug), but we can never really *know* that for sure, without doing some digging on each user's computer individually.

Ah yes . . . the hall of shame . . . the top 100 reasons we can't trust a permissions report . . . an assortment of false messages which only mislead users who might also happen to be experiencing real issues . . . or . . . the list of files with which hackers can freely tinker (because users are instructed that those are items to simply ignore).

Why make that file less secure? Adobe seems to be concerned... maybe we should be too.

--

EDIT: calderone, i realize you're just trying to help skate71290 get back to enjoying h/is/er Mac. Unfortunately, pointing to that kbdoc (without mentioning the bug) also serves to perpetuate the conviction that this behavior from Disk Utility is 'intended' or 'normal' somehow... thus simultaneously disguising that behind all this lies a bug. The less aware users are out there, the more (blind) acceptance to the "norm"... the longer this mediocrity will prevail.

I would like to see Disk Utility (and/or the software update process, which is likely the source of this bug) return to its former trustworthy state (which existed from 10.4.6 - 10.4.11). So... i occasionally post these little rants. I don't mean for you to be a casualty, but hopefully an ally, to help spread the word. Threads like this one (false reports from a repair utility) shouldn't even exist.

I agree wholeheartedly! I would have thought these glitches would have been fixed in 10.6.3, especially given the size of the update. It has been way too long since DU has done a permissions repair and returned without any errors! I guess this to be expected when a computer company turns into a mobile devices company. :rolleyes:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

What else would it mean? Does linking to the Apple KB not suffice?

What else would it mean? Does linking to the Apple KB not suffice?

Am I training people? Of course we don't *know* if it can be ignored. But unless the user is experiencing a problem, why not ignore them? If the user came in and said: "I am having issues with ARD and Java" then sure, it may be necessary to dig deeper.

In regards to not knowing why, I know exactly why, because Apple says: YOU CAN SAFELY IGNORE THESE MESSAGES. Now, if the particular message you are getting is not the same, then there can be cause for concern. For example if the permissions that are on the file differ drastically from what is expected.

Give me a break. First of all, the real shame are the multitude of self proclaimed "geniuses' who waste no time telling people to repair permissions. The fact is, no one should be doing it as often as they think they need to. If people would quite perpetuating this "fix," most users would never even see these messages.

And I must say this:
the list of files with which hackers can freely tinker (because users are instructed that those are items to simply ignore).

has to to be one of the most idiotic things I have read. How do those things even relate? The instruction to ignore permission errors that match what is shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448, in no way suggests that the user can freely "tinker."

Giving the admin group write permissions is hardly insecure, unless you have given users admin privileges that should not have admin privileges, in which case you have already made your entire system less secure.

What is the bug I need to mention? And how does the exclusion of it perpetuate any "conviction?" It is not my job to make sure Disk Utility behaves in a certain way. Of course behind all of it lies a bug, but who cares if there are no problems. And I ask you this: Would you rather have Apple display these messages or maintain an ignore list so that users are not presented with these messages?

As I stated above, less aware users should never have to even open Disk Utility if people would stop perpetuating the myth that it is necessary to repair permissions.

To close, if you want this fixed, quite posting rants here and report it to Apple and request a fix. It is worthless to post this here. Also, I won't be spreading any "word." If a user is experiencing issues with something related to the particular file or folder in question, I will dig deeper. If not, then as Apple says: You can safely ignore it. If you have a problem with that, take it to Apple.

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
Does linking to the Apple KB not suffice?
Nope... not in terms of making members aware that the underlying cause is a bug. The word 'bug' doesn't appear on that page, nor does Apple acknowledge that the issue is abnormal. Quite the opposite, everything along those lines gets swept under the carpet.

What else would it mean?
Are you under the impression that every kbdoc is about an Apple bug?

Am I training people? Of course we don't *know* if it can be ignored. But unless the user is experiencing a problem, why not ignore them? If the user came in and said: "I am having issues with ARD and Java" then sure, it may be necessary to dig deeper.

In regards to not knowing why, I know exactly why, because Apple says: YOU CAN SAFELY IGNORE THESE MESSAGES. Now, if the particular message you are getting is not the same, then there can be cause for concern. For example if the permissions that are on the file differ drastically from what is expected.
"Drastically different permissions" huh? Well, let's just see about that. Remember this bit from post #1?:
Tell me...
  • What are the "permissions" on ARDAgent (on skate71290's machine) then, and how do you know that?
  • What "modifications" has that item (on skate71290's machine) undergone, and how do you know that?
The reality is: neither you, nor i, nor Apple actually know (until we look).

Give me a break. First of all, the real shame are the multitude of self proclaimed "geniuses' who waste no time telling people to repair permissions.
That's the typical preachy cop out. Whether run once a year or once a day, there's no excuse for Disk Utility to produce spurious messages. Now you're trying to shift the burden of that responsibility onto users (and attempting to change the subject in the process... this is not a debate about whether or not verifying permission settings is a worthy troubleshooting technique).

The fact is, no one should be doing it as often as they think they need to. If people would quite perpetuating this "fix," most users would never even see these messages.
I see... so you blame Apple's bogus messages on users repairing permissions "too much"? :cool:

And I must say this:
the list of files with which hackers can freely tinker (because users are instructed that those are items to simply ignore).
has to to be one of the most idiotic things I have read. How do those things even relate? The instruction to ignore permission errors that match what is shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448, in no way suggests that the user can freely "tinker."
Do you even know what an 'suid' file is? (and the ramifications of what a modified suid file might portend?). Have you witnessed how DURP will not even unset the suid bit from a file which shouldn't be suid? I have (and can link to those threads as well). In those cases, /sbin/launchd had been suid during some users' Leopard upgrade. Launching TextEdit for example would run as root, and thus save root-owned documents. DURP refused to unset those bits. [i don't want to spend more time on all this right now... but believe me: hackers have far more imagination and ideas about how to exploit such scenarios than you seem able to accept.]

As I stated above, less aware users should never have to even open Disk Utility if people would stop perpetuating the myth that it is necessary to repair permissions.
You're still hung up on that "myth" myth? You would rather continuously harp about cat poo than simply mention that the post #1 messages are due to an Apple bug? You'd rather train generations of Mac users to "safely ignore suid warnings" as you link to that kbdoc with no further elaboration? That's your call then.

To close, if you want this fixed, quite posting rants here and report it to Apple and request a fix. It is worthless to post this here. Also, I won't be spreading any "word." If a user is experiencing issues with something related to the particular file or folder in question, I will dig deeper. If not, then as Apple says: You can safely ignore it. If you have a problem with that, take it to Apple.
Apple surely is well aware of this. Their answer (until they fix it) is that kbdoc. They can afford to put it on the back-burner because most users don't realize what's behind all this... therefore i am trying to inform users.

So far, the only obstacle to my mission comes from people who can't stop preaching about how "users repair permissions too much". Dude... you skipped right over this:
an assortment of false messages which only mislead users who might also happen to be experiencing real issues
See... this bug screws with everyone, even users who *are* having problems.

Perhaps the situation is harder to evaluate accurately while standing on a soapbox.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Chiming in with word from Apple Support

Nope... not in terms of making members aware that the underlying cause is a bug. The word 'bug' doesn't appear on that page, nor does Apple acknowledge that the issue is abnormal. Quite the opposite, everything along those lines gets swept under the carpet.

You inspired me. I called Apple Support today about the issue. Their level two person said simply what was said here. Don't worry about these errors. The Level one person said he was embarrassed to say so, but that's what he had to tell me. I told him that was a stupid answer and moved on. In my perfect world there would be no errors and there would be no need to fix permission either because they would always be correct.

Alas! It isn't a perfect world. So I'm moving on, having learned Apple's semi-official position on this and will use Disk Utility only if there is an actual problem, not for general, regular preventive purposes, since that clearly yields no effective cure, and takes twenty minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Bug or not a bug... My 2¢. Good luck to you both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.