Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I wasn't going to buy the iPad. I have an
iPhone and a 17" Macbook Pro. However,
all your positive reviews have changed my
mind. Will be picking it up Monday at the
Apple store.

So, here's something we can all help each
other with. What are the most essential
iPad apps that will make this device more
useful than it already is.

And, what are your favorite apps (games
and productivity)?

If possible, list whether the App is FREE
and if not, the cost of purchase.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
While waiting for my iPad 3G, I've already downloaded my favourite free apps:

Facebook
Twitterrific
IMDb
Articles
Netflix
iBooks
Dictionary.com

Wish list:

Reeder or Byline
Skype with VoIP
Meebo
Convertbot
Pastebot
Outside

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Here are my impressions on the first apps I tried:

ABC Player - free, very nice, let me stream one of their shows and the quality was good.
AP News - free, only looked briefly at it, seemed okay
craigsphone - free, seemed like it still had some bugs with displaying the full craigslist ads
Pages - $9.99, loaded it up, and it brought me to some 5-page how-to document. didn't look much further than that, but I'm sure I'll use this down the line.
Weather HD - 99 cents, looks pretty but probably not as useful as the other weather apps. No sound with their animations.
USA Today - free, looked nice
Harbor Master - free, downloaded it because it's free but haven't tried it yet. Maybe one day when I'm bored.
iBooks - free, comes with a free copy of Winnie the Pooh, looked nice
Kindle - free, it was able to open up the books I have on Kindle, about what I expected
GoodReader - 99 cents, this program reads PDFs, Word Documents, etc. I loaded in a few dozen PDFs and Word Docs and they all displayed nicely, even the graphics. This will be really useful for me.
Pandora - free, looks just like the normal version, but with more artist info now
TWC MAX+ and Weatherbug - free weather apps, the weather channel one gave video from the weather channel too.
Twitterific - free, works about as expected
Air Sharing HD - $9.99 - this one works quite well if you want to transfer a lot of files and better organize or password protect them. It also had a "print" feature, but apparently that only works for printers shared from Mac or Linux machines (not PC)
DailyTravel - free, has some pretty pictures of tourist sites, opened it, looked around, closed it 20 seconds later.
Y! Entertainment - free, has a pretty nice free TV Guide feature. Looks very polished.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
While waiting for my iPad 3G, I've already downloaded my favourite free apps:

Facebook
Twitterrific
IMDb
Articles
Netflix
iBooks
Dictionary.com

Wish list:

Reeder or Byline
Skype with VoIP
Meebo
Convertbot
Pastebot
Outside

Facebook hasn't released an ipad app yet. All you get is the blown up version. There is a 3rd party FB app, but it's not getting very good reviews.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Facebook hasn't released an ipad app yet. All you get is the blown up version. There is a 3rd party FB app, but it's not getting very good reviews.
I don't see much of a need for a Facebook App. Just make a shortcut for the Facebook webpage, it looks great in iPad safari.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I installed the iPhone version of Facebook on my iPad. Didn't like it and removed it. In fact I only have a few iPhone apps on my iPad. They are the ones I felt I just had to have and will hope for iPad versions of these soon.
I'm rather surprised that Facebook wasn't ready with their iPad app on release day.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't see much of a need for a Facebook App. Just make a shortcut for the Facebook webpage, it looks great in iPad safari.

Okay, I'll try that but it's just not the same. I really like the Facebook app I have on my iPhone. It's streamlined, compact and efficient.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
First off, the iPad hasn't even been out a day. The API has only been released for ~60 days. People haven't had enough time to make those apps that are "essential" nor have we had time to find out what apps those are (apart from the apps we already use on our iPhones). Not trying to troll your thread, but just letting you know. By Monday, there could be another thousand apps in the store, etc. It's fun to look at the store right now because its just so bare. Either way, all of the above apps (previous posts) are good apps.

Good Luck!

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009

Until the Ipad version comes out I will use Internet version. One thing better bout the app is push notification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.