Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Besides, Vim, does anyone know of a Mac text editor that will allow viewing one file of code across multiple views? I have a 27" iMac and when I view a PHP file in full screen mode there is a ton of wasted white space on the right. It would be great to make the most of my screen real estate. Thanks.

-Mike

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
BBEdit/TextWrangler can do split view of the same file vertically (split so you have a top and bottom view). Aquamacs Emacs can also multiple split views vertically/horizontally. Emacs likely can as well. Komodo Edit is able to and supposedly can do vertical or horizontal split by choosing to rotate group after turning split on.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Thanks! Do you use any of the editors you mentioned? Do you have a favorite?

BBEdit is what I like the most personally. It's powerful and very lightweight compared to others. I like that you can extend it using AppleScripts and other command line tools.

I have all of those editors installed though. NetBeans, which I didn't mention, is also very good from the development standpoint as it has auto-completion and refactoring tools among others. Unfortunately, NetBeans is very bloated often taking up more memory than Firefox (500MB+) so I don't use it very often.

montuori

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Thanks! Do you you use any of the editors you mentioned? Do you have a favorite?

You really can't go wrong with emacs. Once you get over the initial learning curve (which is not as bad as the rumors would have you believe) the options are endless. As far as window/frame configurations go, you can not only split horizontally and vertically (any number of times) but also store various configurations in buffer registers to recall them at will. As you'd expect, navigation among windows is possible by both keyboard and mouse.

I'd argue that if you're learning an editor from scratch, choosing one that's cross-platform makes a lot of sense. Pretty much any UNIX system will have some version of emacs available and it's easily installed on windows.

I use this build: http://emacsformacosx.com/ but http://aquamacs.org/ is also widely used. Anyway, good luck!

k.

skh

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Coda

Overall by far my preference, after having tried all mentioned, as well as larger IDE's like netbeans, to shell level editors like vi.

ssh (&vi) + coda = my fav Web dev setup.

SnailMailFTW

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I use emacs for that. I've always got a vertical split open so I can view one file (or part of one file) on the left side of the screen and another file (or another part of that same file) on the right side of the screen (I have a 24" LCD widescreen).

C-x 3 FTW. ;)

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I highly recommend Zend Studio for all web based development.

Expensive, but worth worth it.

I hate the standard text editors that doesn't allow to adjust split screens as you like them. For large/multiple screens there is no alternative to Zend. I'm used to Java development with Eclipse, so from times to times when I'm forced to do some web based development, I'm very pleased to have a program that allows me to split several program listings across 3 screens.

There is an very similar PHP plugin for Eclipse, too. Same GUI, less functions but free!

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I've always used Dreamweaver and just tested Coda out. Holy crap. I've now switched over. The remote file access is incredibly fast compared to Dreamweaver. The built-in SSH and browser is really nice too. It also has HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP guides. I totally recommend this to everyone. Only $100 too. It also has shortcut code inserting as well. This program rocks.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I've always used Dreamweaver and just tested Coda out. Holy crap. I've now switched over. The remote file access is incredibly fast compared to Dreamweaver. The built-in SSH and browser is really nice too. It also has HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP guides. I totally recommend this to everyone. Only $100 too. It also has shortcut code inserting as well. This program rocks.

Indeed, Coda is amazing. I can't wait for version 2.0...should be coming out really soon. Would love to see what Panic does with it.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Do you have an idea of when? I'm trying to find features or estimated dates and I'm not finding anything.

Panic is very secretive and doesn't announce future releases (kinda like Apple). But as far as I know, it should be out rather soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.