Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iYann

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,
I've been trying to connect my Apple bluetooth headset with my iPad... no luck at all.
I followed the pairing procedure without any success...

Decided to call Apple...
After checking, and asking me how I planned on using the headsets (my answer: Skype and other things) the person confirmed to me that bluetooth headsets were NOT supported on iPads !

I love Apple, but what a shame... This is ridiculous !
Plus the user guide says bluetooth headsets ARE supported...

Looks to me like a last minute feature removed in order to accommodate the network operators... in an attempt to block VOIP use on 3G networks.

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Isn't using Skype with a Bluetooth headset still unsupported on an iPhone? This was the case not long ago caused by the Bluetooth stack. I assume the iPad uses one much the same.

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Hi all,
I've been trying to connect my Apple bluetooth headset with my iPad... no luck at all.Decided to call Apple...After checking, and asking me how I planned on using the headsets (my answer: Skype and other things) .

Apple has their own BT headphones? What's the model number...I wan't them to replace my MOTO's

Looks to me like a last minute feature removed in order to accommodate the network operators... in an attempt to block VOIP use on 3G networks.

BT Headphones with a mic dongle? What's the spec on those ?

You mean an BT earpiece? Not headphones...and Apple NEVER CLAIMED to support them...duh?

Not reading the BT spec...Epic Fail...

iYann

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Montreal, Canada
@heathpitts:

I had never asked myself, since I didn't need a bluetooth headset for using Skype on an iPhone...
Now with 7.5 x 9.5" tablet on my hear, the question becomes of more importance...

It's true, Skype doesn't support Bluetooth headsets on iPhones. However the headsets do pair with the iPhone, unlike with the iPad...
And the wired Apple headset that shipped with my iPhones DO work with Skype on the iPad.

But why all the complication ?

I came to expect more openness from Apple...

iYann

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Montreal, Canada
You mean an BT earpiece? Not headphones...and Apple NEVER CLAIMED to support them...duh?

Not reading the BT spec...Epic Fail...

I believe I do mean bluetooth earpiece, I am talking about the "iPhone bluetooth headset" as Apple called it.

It has been discontinued a few months ago but still work great... on the iPhone

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
For my use, I don't plan on using a headset with my iPad. I will hook up my s7-HD headphones for watching movies, netflix and whatever. I'm going to use the iPhone for music, Skype, phone calls, SMS, etc. That's my multitasking I guess :)

iYann

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Montreal, Canada
That's the funniest thing I've heard today.

Sorry about your luck - time to find a new BT headset.

I get your point... But you forget they're also the ones who brought us Visual Voicemail, who made the "internet in your pocket" possible, who pushed Bluetooth technology and H.264, and who brought Safari, a browser respecting open source standards when IE was making the mess we know on the net...

Anyways, better get back on the subject...

iYann

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Montreal, Canada
For my use, I don't plan on using a headset with my iPad. I will hook up my s7-HD headphones for watching movies, netflix and whatever. I'm going to use the iPhone for music, Skype, phone calls, SMS, etc. That's my multitasking I guess :)

I'm reading Motorola headsets have trouble linking controls with the iPad (next, etc)...
But I have to agree with you and am going to continue doing just the same, that is keep using my iPhone for Skype, phone & SMS, and iPad for entertainment purposes.

However not everybody can afford an iPhone and an iPad, and I still can't understand why with such great and complete hardware, we're kept from buying an iPad and a bluetooth headset, and use them as a phone or as we see fit...

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Sony BT headphones work...

Target has the Sony BT (DRBT 101) headphones on clearance. Got a set last night for $30. These are the ones with volume, track, and a mic built in. Paired them last night and work just fine (except the track control...and I haven't tried the mic in any apps). The pause and volume controls work. I can go almost 40 feet (YMMV) from the iPad and it still keeps pumping. These have a built in USB chargeable battery. Supposed to work for iPhone as a wireless phone headset...gonna try that later today.

Here's the link page on Amazon (out of stock)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRBT101-BLK-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B001QXDSMW/ref=pd_cp_e_1

A little goofy looking but excellent sound and they work well.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
If you have never owned/used a Touch - you are going to find the implementation of BT very frustrating on the iPad.

I'm going to ASSume that the iPad operates like the Touch anyway - i haven't tried pairing my S9's to the iPad yet - the kid won't let me hold it that long.

The odds of the mic working..... about zero.

Might I suggest, apple.com/feedback ???

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I definitely know the next track and previous track buttons do not work on my bluetooth Motorola S9 on the iPad. (Same functionality as the iPhone). Not sure about the mic. I haven't tried it.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I'm reading Motorola headsets have trouble linking controls with the iPad (next, etc)...
But I have to agree with you and am going to continue doing just the same, that is keep using my iPhone for Skype, phone & SMS, and iPad for entertainment purposes.

However not everybody can afford an iPhone and an iPad, and I still can't understand why with such great and complete hardware, we're kept from buying an iPad and a bluetooth headset, and use them as a phone or as we see fit...

My Motorola S9 bluetooth stero headphones controls my winmo phone fone (next, pause, etc...) but does not work with my iPhone which leads me to the logical conclusion that Apple crippled the bluetooth stack which is a shame.

Now how is that moving bluetooth technology forward, hell they dont even all you to transfer files through bluetooth. How is that for openness.

Macentosh

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Wilmington
Bluetooth headsets coming

Spoke to Apple insider, they are waiting on Skype to roll out app and they will update iPad. Everything is not a conspiracy, they will roll it out when it is ready. I doubt Skype will ever be available on 3G. They gave the keys to Verizon...

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Spoke to Apple insider, they are waiting on Skype to roll out app and they will update iPad. Everything is not a conspiracy, they will roll it out when it is ready. I doubt Skype will ever be available on 3G. They gave the keys to Verizon...

I think it is pretty ridiculous that Skype doesn't work on 3G but it worked on winmo phones back in '08 with Verizon and on ATT. Don't know about now because I am in Japan but it works on my HTC Touch Pro here in Japan on 3G.

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Stereo bluetooth headsets work with the iPad while mono ones do not.

I can confirm that a stereo bluetooth headset (the Blueant X-9) with mic does not work with iPad skype.
The stereo headphones will work with iTunes and Pandora

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I use the Altec Lancing BackBeat 903 and it works perfectly with my iPad. I also have a Plantronics 925 and a Motorola HX-1... neither of those two will work with the iPad.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
i have an A2DP bluetooth stereo headset that works fine with iPhone.
Doesn't work with iPad.

I have car bluetooth that works fine with iPhone.
Doesn't work with iPad.

I have an Apple branded bluetooth keyboard.
Doesn't work with iPad.

Bluetooth on iPad sucks.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010

I am pretty sure that Jobs mentioned native VOIP over 3G in his OS 4.0 preview keynote. I do not think that limitation lies with Apple or Skype, it's AT&T who's stalling implementation to protect its voice service revenue.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
My Sony hbh-is800 work but only at FULL volume. I am unable to adjust the volume at all. I am told this gets fixed in the 4.0 update, but that won't be until the fall. Bummer.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I just ordered hbh-is800 too. I dontcare fir now if there is no volume control. The sleekest bt headphones in the market today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.