Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Just checked in the online shop and the ipad keyboard dock is $69 which is the same price as the wireless keyboard. The ipad dock is $29 so basically there are two options with a difference in cost of $29.

I think for an extra $29 I'd much rather have the flexibility of the dock/wireless keyboard combo over the fixed keyboard dock.

Anyone else having the same thoughts?

(All I have to do now is wait for the iPad to be released in the UK! :()

MarketingGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsborough, NJ
I'm with you on this one. I ordered a 3G iPad and opted for the plain dock + bluetooth keyboard.

For an extra $29 the flexibility is worth it for me. I can see myself using it in the dock to charge, therefore the lack of the fixed keyboard will free up space. Other times, I might want to have the keyboard in front of me and therefore the bluetooth option still wins.

Hope we both get our iPads soon!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I too ordered the separates. Flexibility when setting up, flexibility when traveling/carrying, etc.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Because I wanted the freedom of flexibility in setup, etc...and wanted to keep iPad in its case during use with keyboard, I decided on this setup:

First, I purchased a standard book holder from Staples, found here. Then, I purchased the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and use them together.

The only downside to this is not having the ability to charge the iPad during typing sessions. However, with a 10 hour battery life, all it takes is a little prudence before beginning a day of school or a long typing session to make sure I can charge it. Plus, if **** really hits the fan, I can just plug it in and let it sit on the charger bending the cord 90 degrees. Either way, this setup works perfectly for me.

EDIT: The total price after tax for both is about $85. Putting it about $20 less than the dock/keyboard option and allowing the flexibility of what I mentioned earlier. At only $15 more than the Keyboard Dock combo, it allows for a ton of flexibility.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I use the metal book stand from Staples and have my ipad in the Apple craptastic folding case. I fold the bottom in such a way that I have the iPad sitting on top of the metal holders and have positioned the ipad landscape. It works beautifully and I just have the cord sticking out the right side of it.

I have a wireless bluetooth keyboard which works flawless with a couple annoyances. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to jump straight to the address bar from the keyboard. You have to tap the screen first. Also, there is no home button key on the keyboard.

I wish I could hit a button to go home, cycle through the icons with the arrow keys, and then hit enter. Also it would be nice to scroll with the arrow keys.

I know these are little things, but it would make the work flow so much better if I could just jump around without tapping on the device all the time. Anyone else experienced that?

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
First, I purchased a standard book holder from Staples, found here.

The only downside to this is not having the ability to charge the iPad during typing sessions.
Couldn't you just put the Ipad in upside down, or landscape? Maybe upside down with the plug popping up over the top isn't the most appealing, visually speaking, but it'll do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.