Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
This is an awesome idea. Right now it looks a little slow and buggy, but it looks like there have been updates already and I'm sure it'll get better.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I dont see the point! Take it on your phone and email it?

Edit: I know you might not be connected to wifi to be about to email it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I dont see the point! Take it on your phone and email it? Silly app IMO!

This app is a "beginning."

If someone, instead of bluetooth, was able to use wifi and transmit live video to the iPad, then we'd be able to do video chatting like the "knocking" app or skype.

The ability has to be there - it's just a question of someone making the app

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Thats true! be awesome to be able to use the iPhone camera as a webcam! Didnt think of it like that! My bad :)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If this could be better implemented, this would:
1) Shut up the complainers who wanted an iPad camera in the first place
2) Be less unwieldy than having a camera on the iPad (i.e. how do you hold it to take pic, videoconference, etc.).

jviphone

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
This will be cool for an app like DSLR remote, to be able to control my Nikon on a tripod using the ipad, sometimes the buttons are small on the iphone as a remote and you end up changing settings, another cool thing is you could set your iphone like behind a hockey goal or something *ouch* and then take pictures remotely sitting with the pad in the stands.

Awesome possibilities. and technically you could prob take advantage of other cameras as long as they were bluetooth compatible.

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
This will be cool for an app like DSLR remote, to be able to control my Nikon on a tripod using the ipad

+1

I'm also thinking iPad app from Eye-Fi.
This way (just like my Mac) when I take a picture on my DSLR, it immediately is viewable and copied to the iPad.
I'd happily pay for this!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This app is a "beginning."

If someone, instead of bluetooth, was able to use wifi and transmit live video to the iPad, then we'd be able to do video chatting like the "knocking" app or skype.

The ability has to be there - it's just a question of someone making the app

Now you're talking! And wifi mesh is def possible yes? Isn't that what Scrabble uses?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Now you're talking! And wifi mesh is def possible yes? Isn't that what Scrabble uses?

I believe so Anthony. Plus if all of these 3rd party apps can see things via wifi (GoodReader, etc) and the printing apps, surely there's a way to do this.

A question would be - can they do it by themselves - or would they need a server either running on a local computer or via the developer's server.

The "Knocking" video app connects two iPhones with one being a sender the other receiver. It would be a logical assumption that it would be viable.

I have the knocking app on my iPhone (iPad isn't at work) - will have to try it out...

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I believe so Anthony. Plus if all of these 3rd party apps can see things via wifi (GoodReader, etc) and the printing apps, surely there's a way to do this.

A question would be - can they do it by themselves - or would they need a server either running on a local computer or via the developer's server.

The "Knocking" video app connects two iPhones with one being a sender the other receiver. It would be a logical assumption that it would be viable.

I have the knocking app on my iPhone (iPad isn't at work) - will have to try it out...

Sorry to go OT but is Knocking like Bump?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sorry to go OT but is Knocking like Bump?

Knocking Vid is what I'd call one way video chatting. Think of it as a baby monitor type application. You can pick a friend to call. You connect. And then the initiator of the call is transmitting their camera/audio through the server over to the other person. The other person can't send anything back or talk back to you.

My fiancee and I used it once or twice when only one of us could go look at an apartment because the other had a meeting or whatnot.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
If this could be better implemented, this would:
1) Shut up the complainers who wanted an iPad camera in the first place
2) Be less unwieldy than having a camera on the iPad (i.e. how do you hold it to take pic, videoconference, etc.).

Seems more cumbersome to me.

Your out and abbot and want to take a picture. You have to start the app on both devices and then, hold both devices how? Taking a picture one the iPhone with one hand is challenging enough, esp trying to keep it steady. Now you have to holding the iPad too while looking at it's screen to take a shot?

Seems to me a waste of time and you'd look like an idiot. It makes sense for cameras on tripods. Dslr's for sure.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Seems more cumbersome to me.

Your out and abbot and want to take a picture. You have to start the app on both devices and then, hold both devices how? Taking a picture one the iPhone with one hand is challenging enough, esp trying to keep it steady. Now you have to holding the iPad too while looking at it's screen to take a shot?

Seems to me a waste of time and you'd look like an idiot. It makes sense for cameras on tripods. Dslr's for sure.

I agree not much benefit for snapping photos. But video conferencing - definitely.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Knocking Vid is what I'd call one way video chatting. Think of it as a baby monitor type application. You can pick a friend to call. You connect. And then the initiator of the call is transmitting their camera/audio through the server over to the other person. The other person can't send anything back or talk back to you.

My fiancee and I used it once or twice when only one of us could go look at an apartment because the other had a meeting or whatnot.

Cool thanks. Could be used for a sneak nanny cam I suppose too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.