Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161515-chitika_ipad_tally.jpg

Advertising firm Chitika earlier this week rolled out a running tally calculating the number of iPads accessing the Internet via the device's Safari browser based on unique hits to its network of advertisements. According to current tallies, over 500,000 iPads have now been sold.

In a blog post, Chitika research Dan Ruby notes that the company's numbers have been registering significantly lower than official and estimated sales numbers, a phenomenon Ruby has attributed to some users not accessing the Internet. For example, by midday Monday, Chitika had registered nearly 270,000 iPads on its network, while Apple had already announced "over 300,000" iPads sold on Saturday with more sales obviously rolling in Sunday and early Monday. We've even heard that Apple may have sold over 750,000 iPads already.
We've also learned that the WiFi iPad may not be seen as primarily an Internet surfing device. With estimates of over 300,000 iPads sold on release day and perhaps as many as 700,000 sold over the weekend, that only around 40% are showing up on the Internet may imply that people are buying the iPad for the apps, and spending most of their browsing time in the App Store.
While Chitika's methods may offer only a crude approximation of iPad sales, they do provide an interesting glimpse into the device's market growth. Beyond overall sales numbers, the report also provides data on new iPads appearing each day and breaks down sales and percentages by state.

Article Link: iPad Sales Estimated to Have Already Surpassed 500,000

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
The results are in. People love the living sh*t out of these things.

The iPad is a success right out of the gate.

I'll be honest and say I was really on the fence about this thing, but god help me if I can't put it down now.

Really pleased with the device so far.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple is about to run away with the slate/tablet market.

Not only have they drawn first blood, but they've done so with a killer device.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
I wonder how many PC tablets from all manufacturers have been sold to date. Apple may exceed that number soon.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd be interested, in iPad owners opinions of the device a few months from now, after they've gotten over the excitement of a new toy.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
how would it be so exact?

They probably set a web browser "cookie" on the ads their network displays... so they can track each individual iPad.

If you view an ad from their network the first time, the cookie is set... if you view another one of their ads (even on a different website) the cookie was already set, so they know it's you again.

They almost certainly have tools to analyze data like how many people are using a certain web browser, or how many people are using Windows 7 / Mac OS X. So, it wouldn't be difficult for them to use those existing tools to get an idea of how many people are using iPads.

EDIT: this page explains more on where they're getting their numbers from:
http://chitika.com/research/2010/meet-the-ipad-with-real-time-stats/

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Hmm...

500,000 people with money burning a hole in their pockets who will be left in the dust very very shortly, knowing Apple.

I bought one for my girlfriend this week and it was nothing short of amazing. It does everything she needs and more. How then will she be left in the dust? Most people actually are buying these to do what they want right now, not what they may or may not want in the future. Based on your theory, no one should ever buy anything because someday there may be an upgrade. A hint for the rest of you out there: Buy what you want and need and stop fretting about what's next. This type of thinking is what leads to rampant p3nis envy.

As for this lame statistic, this is the worst way to estimate sales of this or any other item. It only gives some data on some of the use of the item. Certainly not worth page one.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

I try to get excited over it but then I see the price tag and limited utility. The browser is nice but the device still feels heavy. Are there lap boards with keyboards for the iPad yet?

I'd use it as a MID but $499 for just that is a stretch.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

Yep since we all know a device functionality/usefulness ONLY depends on how many it sells in the first week or 2 :rolleyes:

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Nope...

They probably set a web browser "cookie" on the ads their network displays... so they can track each individual iPad.

If you view an ad from their network the first time, the cookie is set... if you view another one of their ads (even on a different website) the cookie was already set, so they know it's you again.

They almost certainly have tools to analyze data like how many people are using a certain web browser, or how many people are using Windows 7 / Mac OS X. So, it wouldn't be difficult for them to use those existing tools to get an idea of how many people are using iPads.

This tells them nothing about how many were sold, only how many are being used on their clients websites.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
The results are in. People love the living sh*t out of these things.

The iPad is a success right out of the gate.

ROFL @ uncapped zealotry.

Back to reality....I will go by apple's figures and it is indeed a great start. Question is whether this is sustainable.

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I think people are forgeting to take into account the tens of thousands of iPads purchased by people to either export to non-us countries or to sell on eBay to foreign people. Those iPads are still brand new and unopened on there way to their new owners.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yep since we all know a device functionality/usefulness ONLY depends on how many it sells in the first week or 2 :rolleyes:

It's an Apple device that people love right out of the gate. It's typical Apple fare. I think that's kinda your first clue.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
The future is touch based. Might as well learn how now with the iPad and begin to make the transition away from hardware keyboards and mice. Children today will learn touch, and by the time they are adults it will be a touch world except for aging PCs in the business world occupying the same outdated (but still needed) space now occupied by mainframes.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apparently, estimates are like arseholes now. Everyone has one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.