Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I've been thinking ever since I got my iPad how amazing it'd be to have the original two RollerCoaster Tycoon games on my iPad, it seems like the game would fit perfectly with a touch interface, isn't demanding (it came out in the 90s!), and is incredibly addictive, nostalgic, and entertaining.

50798_full.jpg

That screenshot I found is at 1024x768, all they'd need to do is enlarge the interface buttons a little(which there's plenty of room for).

Only problem is I can't find any contact info for Chris Sawyer, the creator of these games, to ask him if he's up for it or not. If he were to do it, it'd be a goldmine for him as well as an amazing game for iPad owners.

Anyone else a fan?

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Ah, the good ol' days of trapping guests inside the park with no enter sign and building mazy wooden roller coasters. I myself am a RCT veteran. I bought the original in 2nd grade and still play it 9 years in the future. I've bought RCT 1 and 2 and all the expansion packs and love this franchise to death. I'd pay $30 to $40 just to have either game porter to iPad. If only we could contact Chris Sawyer, he could make millions with this!

P.S. Have you played Locomotion?

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Would be interesting to see. Although I imagine it could be a little complicated to work on a small touchscreen.

Check out AirCoaster XL (iTunes link).
The ONLY roller coaster simulator and track editor for the iPhone/iPod touch is now BIGGER and BETTER than ever!

AirCoaster XL brings amazing interactive 3D fun to the iPad. Create your own roller coaster tracks with our powerful yet easy to use multitouch 3D track editor. Use 1 finger to rotate, 2 to zoom and 3 to pan around, as you nudge and tweak each track segment to create the perfect ride. Once you are done, buckle up and ride your very own roller coaster in the front seat!

Don't want to create your own tracks? Go to the Community tab and download any of over tens of thousands of tracks. Interact with your favorite track creators, write on their walls, follow them, and more!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I think it would be Frontier Development you would need to contact these days, not Chris Sawyer.

From RCT3 website:
Q: Who is developing the game? Is Chris Sawyer programming RCT3?

A: RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3 was developed by Frontier Developments, Ltd. of Cambridge, England, in conjunction with Chris Sawyer, the creator and sole developer of the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise. Frontier and its founder, David Braben, have a long association with Chris Sawyer going back to 1987, when Chris first worked on PC versions of the famous "Elite" and “Virus” games. Chris Sawyer did not program RCT3, but provided design and technical consultations to the development team.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I think it would be Frontier Development you would need to contact these days, not Chris Sawyer.

From RCT3 website:

RCT3 was a giant mess with none of the nostalgic elements mixed with unnecessary mechanics. Never liked the game.

For RCT fans check out "Chris Sawyers : Locomotion" it's an awesome transport tycoon game. I think you guys will like it.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I'm just gonna post this in every one of these threads in case EA is looking:

Want SimCity iPad badly.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
It wasn't as bad as the RCT pinball machine. That was fun for 2 days, easiest most repetitive game ever....

RCT3 was a giant mess with none of the nostalgic elements mixed with unnecessary mechanics. Never liked the game.

For RCT fans check out "Chris Sawyers : Locomotion" it's an awesome transport tycoon game. I think you guys will like it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Man how much I love the original RCT and really even RCT2. Too bad Chris Sawyer has long moved on.

I doubt it will ever come out for the iPad. I believe it was written almost completely in assembly language.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Hell yes, I was thinking how awesome RCT would be on this thing in the few hours after I bought it. I poured untold hours into that game... That, SimCity 3000 and Caesar III. I'm sure SimCity is on the way, but getting the other two would be great!

iChase

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Orlando, FL
I would absolutely love RCT 1/2 on iPad. The hardware is more than sufficient to run it. Perhaps we all could contact Chris Sawyer and inquire. He has said RCT3 was the end of the series, but this could be enough of a side project for him to bring in a fantastic amount of income and rekindle people's interest in RCT.

I just checked out his site and apparently you have to contact him through an agency. Their site is none too helpful, though.

See for yourselves: http://www.chrissawyergames.com.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I would absolutely love RCT 1/2 on iPad. The hardware is more than sufficient to run it. Perhaps we all could contact Chris Sawyer and inquire. He has said RCT3 was the end of the series, but this could be enough of a side project for him to bring in a fantastic amount of income and rekindle people's interest in RCT.

I just checked out his site and apparently you have to contact him through an agency. Their site is none too helpful, though.

See for yourselves: http://www.chrissawyergames.com.

Perhaps we all send him a message begging for RCT on iPad. He won't be able to resist the force of a MacRumors gang! Okay maybe he will...but anyway...

A petition? :p

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Really? It's the only RCT game I've played, so I have nothing to compare to, and I think it is pretty good.

You should check out the first two, they're fairly cheap online. You'll definitely have a blast!:D

iChase

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Orlando, FL
Perhaps we all send him a message begging for RCT on iPad. He won't be able to resist the force of a MacRumors gang! Okay maybe he will...but anyway...

A petition? :p

Funny story, I started the RCT3 for Mac petition. lol

But hey, maybe if we show enough interest and a big enough market for it, he would go for it. (wishful thinking :rolleyes:)

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
This thread slipped my mind...i'm totally in for a petition. Can someone figure out how to contact Chris? That agency thing doesn't seem to want to budge.

there's a Toucharcade topic about this as well...we need to combine forces and begin the persuasion!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=51299

Edit: Also, here's the response I got from the annoying talent agency middleman separating us from Chris Sawyer: ( I sent it to enquiries@marjacq.com )

"Thanks for the suggestion and the appreciation. For commercial reasons we can't of course discuss Chris's or Atari's future plans for the title, but we always look at new platforms for classic games.

Best regards

--
Guy Herbert
Commercial Consultant"

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
I would love to be able to drown my park guests in the garden pool on my new iPad, lol.

Pj

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I have been wanting this on the iPhone since the app store came out, and now I want it even more on the iPad. I'd pay 50 bucks for it, no lie. RCT and RCT2 are my favorite games of all time. Too bad the crummy 3rd version is the only one that's mac compatible.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
LOVED the original. I got the third and it was horrible compared to #1 and 2.

I would pay 10-20 bucks for it.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Actually, a lot of classic games come to mind that would be awesome on the iPad. Maybe what someone needs to do is to develop a sort of 'doxbox' for the iPad. Although then RTC would be out, but RRT would work! And the /original/ simcity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.