Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronp1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Looking for an external hard drive for my macbook air, and it MUST BE WIRELESS. i only have 1 usb lol.

So yeah, bluetooth i guess?

where can i look for the cheap prices?
and offer some links to some ?

dont wanna spend more than 150.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Do you have an Airport basestation? You can plug a USB hard drive into it and access it over your wireless network.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Looking for an external hard drive for my macbook air, and it MUST BE WIRELESS. i only have 1 usb lol.

So yeah, bluetooth i guess?

where can i look for the cheap prices?
and offer some links to some ?

dont wanna spend more than 150.
I have been using a Apple Time Capsule for a couple of years. It makes automatic backups of your hard drive. That way you can have an archive of all of your data and not have to keep too much of it on your computer's own hard drive. The Time Capsule does double duty as an 802.11n wireless router, which your MBA supports. Is this the sort of thing you are interested in?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You can buy either an AirPort Extreme Base Station and plug an external drive into the USB port or a Time Capsule. The nice thing about these is you can setup access from the Internet. Then you have WiFi access at home, and when away from home just access your files over the Internet. It all really works great with the MBA. Consider a Mobile Me account too.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
You can buy either an AirPort Extreme Base Station and plug an external drive into the USB port or a Time Capsule. The nice thing about these is you can setup access from the Internet. Then you have WiFi access at home, and when away from home just access your files over the Internet. It all really works great with the MBA. Consider a Mobile Me account too.
I once had my Time Capsule setup for Internet access but had so many problems with it, the details of which I can no longer recall, I gave up on it. These days, if I need to backup a file or files while I am on the road, I do it to a USB thumb drive that I keep in my laptop bag. It's not very sexy but it works. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Bluetooth would be horrendously slow for all but the smallest files. You're options are to get a wireless router with USB storage capabilities or to get a USB external and just swap devices (or a USB hub).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I once had my Time Capsule setup for Internet access but had so many problems with it, the details of which I can no longer recall, I gave up on it. These days, if I need to backup a file or files while I am on the road, I do it to a USB thumb drive that I keep in my laptop bag. It's not very sexy but it works. :)

Need to have DNS and/or a home IP address that doesn't change. Also have to set the Firewall up on the router to accept the incoming request by opening a port. Also, Apple brags about it but it doesn't make it very clear how to make it work. If I remember right, it took an hour or so the first time and never been a problem since. It could be a pain if you don't pay for a DNS account (like maybe $10 year). Because if your home router IP gets a new IP address, you will lose the connection. If I remember right, my DNS auto-configures if my router IP were to change (but it doesn't). I probably know a little more than I should which probably helped me set it up faster, but with an hour of reading on the Internet, anyone could do it. Or maybe its been long enough that I am remembering less than I should and I have missed a detail. The important thing is once it's setup properly, it just works.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Need to have DNS and/or a home IP address that doesn't change. Also have to set the Firewall up on the router to accept the incoming request by opening a port. Also, Apple brags about it but it doesn't make it very clear how to make it work. If I remember right, it took an hour or so the first time and never been a problem since. It could be a pain if you don't pay for a DNS account (like maybe $10 year). Because if your home router IP gets a new IP address, you will lose the connection. If I remember right, my DNS auto-configures if my router IP were to change (but it doesn't). I probably know a little more than I should which probably helped me set it up faster, but with an hour of reading on the Internet, anyone could do it. Or maybe its been long enough that I am remembering less than I should and I have missed a detail. The important thing is once it's setup properly, it just works.
I didn't have too much trouble setting up remote access. I did it by using the cable modem's IP address. My Time Capsule is setup to share a public IP address, which is the cable modem's IP address. The problem was that everything worked too slowly to suit me, so I decided not to use it any more. Maybe I'll try again sometime but the thumb drive kludge has worked quite well for me, far better than remote Internet access network ever did. Anyway, it's a matter of personal preference and I understand why you use it, although I have decided that for the moment at least it's not for me.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
At home I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS device with a 1 TB drive plugged into it. It's not strictly a wireless device but since my Mac connects via wireless, it can access the network drive just fine. It is a bit slow to copy large files via WiFi, however.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I had a Dlink DNS-323 as well, great little box. It has 2 hard drive bays so you can mirror 2 drives 2 for data redundancy (in case one hard drive fails). With the Time Capsule you can kinda get data redundancy by plugging in an external hard drive to the time capsule and set it to automatically back up data from the internal hard drive to the external.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I didn't have too much trouble setting up remote access. I did it by using the cable modem's IP address. My Time Capsule is setup to share a public IP address, which is the cable modem's IP address. The problem was that everything worked too slowly to suit me, so I decided not to use it any more. Maybe I'll try again sometime but the thumb drive kludge has worked quite well for me, far better than remote Internet access network ever did. Anyway, it's a matter of personal preference and I understand why you use it, although I have decided that for the moment at least it's not for me.
It depends on the Internet speed of both the Internet carrier where your AirPort Extreme is and the Internet speed of where you are accessing it from. If you have slow DSL at either, it will be slow. For huge files, it's not nearly as great as being on the WiFi at home... but for files you need, it's no different than downloading from iTunes.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I also use an external connected to an Airport Extreme. I've been really happy with it. I have it set to 802.11N only, and stream all my media from the external.

Remote access does work, the only flaw is my ISP's upload speed. I have transferred entire movies to my computer from the external at home while in a hotel room across the country, though. Took almost as loong as watching the movie, but it did work.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
@Scottsdale,

DynDns.com and no-ip.com both allow you to route a fully qualified domain name (something.dyndns.com or something.no-ip.com) to a dynamic IP address for free. If you're already paying for a static IP address, then this isn't necessary, but most people have dynamic IP addresses.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
@Scottsdale,

DynDns.com and no-ip.com both allow you to route a fully qualified domain name (something.dyndns.com or something.no-ip.com) to a dynamic IP address for free. If you're already paying for a static IP address, then this isn't necessary, but most people have dynamic IP addresses.

That's great information for anyone that doesn't have static IP on their home network.

Free is better than $10 per year, LOL. It's ridiculous for what people pay for Internet to not even get their own damn IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.