Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Hi all -

I'm looking for input on the various note taking apps available for the iPad. Which do you like & why?

My application would be capturing notes during business meetings and ideally I would love to have both drawing/text capture as well as audio recording capabilities, rich text capabilities would be a plus. So far, I've not see all this in one package yet.

Thanks for any insight!
Jacob

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Check out the application Evernote. I believe it has all of, if not most of what you are looking for and it is available for the iPad as well. I never had much luck with it but give it a try.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Evernote is free but doesn't work until you create an account. Not a big deal but if you are looking for a way to take notes and have them stay on your iPad, the built in memos app works for plain text and you can email memos to yourself from inside the app. If you want to spend money, take a look at pages. There are also some note taking apps in the app store, but I have not tried any of them. For me, it's pages, evernote, and memos.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Another for Evernote. If you create an account and have an iPhone, it will sync your notes across devices. Great for when you don't have your iPad with you and need to refer to, edit, or create a new note either on your iPhone or web. You can tag notes or create separate "notebooks" so one for specific projects with all notes for it inside.

uzzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Seattle
I'm waiting for SmartNote to be released in the app store. It was submitted to Apple on Friday and they are just waiting for approval. I looks really nice and I believe it can do everything you are looking for. Here is a link to their website. You can also find videos on youtube if you search for "smartnote app"

http://mysmartnote.net/

uzzy

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I'm waiting for SmartNote to be released in the app store. It was submitted to Apple on Friday and they are just waiting for approval. I looks really nice and I believe it can do everything you are looking for. Here is a link to their website. You can also find videos on youtube if you search for "smartnote app"

uzzy

Interesting and graphically pleasing :)
I tried Evernote but didn't like it. I'm now using White Note and Bento (all purpose note, to dos, address book, etc.). I like them both :D

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
I posted a video on YouTube going over my top productivity apps under $5 for the iPad. I mention the strong points of Evernote within it. Let me know if this helps.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
SoundPaper App

It can record audio as you write your notes, and when you tap a specific part in your notes it will play back what was recorded at that time. :cool:

All Notes App for iPad look pretty good as well.

itsbritneybitch

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Lala land
Being a student, i thought it might be easier to use some type of stylus. Would the pogo sketch work? With what note taking applications would it be compatible with

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Being a student, i thought it might be easier to use some type of stylus. Would the pogo sketch work? With what note taking applications would it be compatible with

As the platform matures, I'm sure that there will be some good apps, but for the time being I would use a pad of paper and transcribe the notes to the iPad after class. This way you wont fall behind on taking notes should something go wrong in the app, and the extra exposure to the content will help in your studying.

FYI - I've been out of school for years...

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I'm looking for the same thing.

While I like the concept of Evernote, the actual development of the note taking seems really lame. It's just a blank sheet with no styling capability.

For me, what I really need, is an ability to do outlines, hierarchies. This feature was available in the basic note taking app that was on the Apple Newton back in the day, and I've missed it ever since.

Maybe I'm missing something about Evernote though.

logista

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI

The Pogo sketch has a blunt end about the size of a pencil eraser, but should work with any app that your finger works with :)

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC

uzzy

ohhh!!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.