Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.

How does googledocs work? Can you create new files, open and work on existing ones, and save them back to the cloud? Can you attach docs to emails?

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
ClaireL said:
I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.

I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
HXGuy said:
I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.

Features are superior to Safari that's for sure.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm surprised that Apple hasn't updated Safari to have desktop like tabs. The way tabs are done on safari is lame. There should at least be an option for normal tabbed browsing.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
anthonymoody said:
Okay pins and needles here guys - don't hold out on me! :D

Yes Google Docs works but it's buggy.

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Sleazy E said:
i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.

Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha

and the feature "find on page" isn't worth $.99 to me obviously. I use that feature maybe once every few weeks on my laptop so it is something I can live without. if I bought every item that I saw just because it was only $.99 I wouldn't have any money to buy what I actually want :)

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Can one open a podcast/mp3 in one tab and listen to it playing in another tab? That deosnt work on safari

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.

they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
It's true, trust me. Instead of suggestions, you get a list of different search engines such as Google, Bing, eBay, Amazon..or what ever you want to add. this is also where the Find in Page search is selected.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.

Just looked it up and it seems like the Lite version is just for the iPhone.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Is that supposed to be non Flash based because itbsays to install Flash.

Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it :)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Yes Google Docs works but it's buggy.

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.

MANY thanks. Bummer that it doesn't work better but it seems better than what we know of Safari in this regard.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it :)

For what it is worth, I was able to click on that twit.tv, select download audio which started the streaming podcast, switch to other tabs and surf to my hearts content. Pretty neat. Well worth .99. Wish it had a better improt function though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.