Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Hi everybody!

I'm going to buy a new iPod and I can't choose: I like the 40 but I'm afraid it's too big...

Which one would you buy?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
man, help us help you... how much music do you have? what's your budget?

how can we even comment on which one to get if you don't provide some more info...!? we can't read minds, you know... :cool:

personally, i have 22 GB of music that i expect slowly to grow. i had little under 10 GB of music when i bought the 10 GB 3rd gen. ipod a year ago. (since sold.) i don't expect my music to grow as rapidly in the next year. (i have ripped most of my CDs now...) anyway, regardless of the HD size, i'm ok without having all of my music and i don't like the "regular" iPod because of the ease of scratchiness -> pretty much necessitating a cover. i'm gonna get a Mini when it's in better supply...

mino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
you're right,

I have 11 Gigs of music but I haven't ripped all my CDs, yet.

Budget is not a problem, size is: I want to carry my iPod in the pocket when I walk and I'm afraid the 40 is too big.

taylaner

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2004
TURKEY-İSTANBUL
hi
i have a 40 gb ipod ...i dont own so much music i have about 20 gb of music and not listening to all of them.... but i use it like a portable HD too... i put self made short movies,animations,web sites ...evertrhing you can imagine because of that 40 gb is really nice...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just bought my first iPod a few days ago as a gift for my wife, which was somewhat devious as I am the one who will be keeping it up to date and will likely listen to it as much as she does.

I originally bought the 20GB under the assumption that it held enough songs and that it was smaller. Before opening the box, I returned it for the 40GB. Here is my reasoning:

(1) The price difference - assuming you'll end up buying the dock which isn't included with the 20GB and which costs $40 - is only $60. 20GB for $340 (counting dock price), 40GB for $400. Getting double the size - an extra 20GB - for $60 seemed like a great deal.

(2) Size: yes, the 40GB is bigger. But I dare say you won't find a circumstance where you'd be fine with the 20GB but overtaxed and overburdened by the 40. It's 0.12 inches - essentially, an eighth of an inch - deeper and 0.6 ounces heavier. The 20 seems slimmer by comparison, but only by comparison. When not directly next to each other, the 40 seems quite manageable. In the past few days, I've managed to increase my upper body strength sufficiently to handle the extra 0.6 ounces with little difficulty.

(3) Capacity: the extra 20GB is never a bad thing. Now, I'm using 16GB. However, I can see getting above 20 pretty easily as I decide to burn more CDs, something which wasn't too big a deal when iTunes was bound to my Mac. Now I want to carry it all with me. Plus, my wife and I have differing musical tastes, so the extra capacity is worthwhile. Plus, if you use it as a Firewire drive, you can never have too much capacity.

All in all, if you assume you will buy a dock, I see little reason not to upgrade to the 40GB unless you're really fond of the relative slimness of the 20GB.

Additionally, as larger models come out, it'll be easier to sell the 40 than the 20, as even 40GB might be seen as "small".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mino said:
I want to carry my iPod in the pocket when I walk and I'm afraid the 40 is too big.

I carry it in both shirt and pants pockets without any problem.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if budget is not a concern, i'd go for the 40 GB.

as others mentioned, size is not very different and the extra space can be used as a HD.

also, if you have more space, you can rip at higher bitrate, esp. if you think you may want to listen to classical music in the future?

mino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
you have more space, you can rip at higher bitrate, esp. if you think you may want to listen to classical music in the future?[/QUOTE][/I]

I listen to classical music sometimes and I noticed that sound quality is not excellent on 3G iPods at 128 Kbps AAC.

Someone said that 4G iPod's HD are loud... Have you heard?

P.S. Sorry... How does this "quote" feature work?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
mino said:

My 4G 40GB is very slightly louder than my old 3G 15GB; but not in any way loud enough to annoy.

The extra size/weight is really not significant; after a few days I didn't notice it. The extra storage was a no-brainer for me, I'd just about filled the 15GB.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mino said:
The 4G 40GB we have is by no means loud. Barely audible, if that. I mean, yes, hold it up to your ear, and you can hear it - but not in normal use.

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
Jovian9 said:
If size is what you are worried about......get a mini. If not, go with the 40GB 4G.

I havemy 40gb in my pocket all day. Use it at the gym all the time. The size isn't big enough to cause any problems.

mino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I just got myself a blue mini.

I went to the store this morning and the reseller told me that he was still waiting for the 4G, so I bought a mini. I will buy a 40 in september.

Thanks to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.