Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Interesting. So both you and those ladies misunderstood what the iPad can do.

What did I misunderstand about what it can do?

The weight is no issue for reading (at least nothing I've experienced). One-handed holding is my norm for the iPad.

Obviously I haven't read for hours on it like I have my iPhone, but the weight was very noticeable.

Typing is, surprisingly, so much better than on the iPhone. I never expected to be able to touch type, but sure enough once I realized you cannot lean on the keys, I started to touch type. Within a day I was typing the right way.

How did you know where your fingers were? I never look at they keyboard while typing and rely on the dots on the F/J to know where my hands are. When I looked down to try and type while not touching the keys I couldn't see them. Maybe there is a 1 handed typing method that will work best for the iPad?

As for the ladies, it's "just a big iPhone" in the same way that a swimming pool is just a big tub.

I just don't see it as that different except for the much larger screen. Maybe the next OS will really give it some divergence.

kloda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2004
Funny, we're usually saying that about the Japanese.

Absolutely spot on. Go over to some of the videogame forums and read all the moaning about how unfair it is that Nintendo and Sony are releasing games or hardware in Japan first.

One positive way to look at this though is that the Americans get to be guinea pigs for the new iPad. Once it reaches the international markets, most of the negative issues are known and, hopefully, software updates are available. Folks in the international market get the luxury of a more informed purchase decision.

Then again, I'm an American waiting for my pre-ordered 3G model. :(

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Awsome news.

Apple had to play it safe with production. It did not know if the iPad was going to be a hit or not. One doesn't buy production lines for 10million a year with no idea if one can even sell 1 million.

The whiners just need to be patient. Ipad is coming.

PaulSorensen

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
It might be a good idea for Apple to invest some of the $40 billion dollars they are sitting on into getting more efficient manufacturing facilities in place. ;)

Sounds good in theory. In practice you can't ramp up physical manufacturing facilities beyond their capacity when you know that this bump in demand is temporary. In other words if they expanded beyond capacity just to meet current iPad demand then those expanded facilities would be under-utilized in normal conditions.

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll buy one when it's a real MBP-killer, not a gadget. But I have to say that Steve is a master in communicating with idiots and selling overpriced crap.

Not just because it is an Apple product. It is a gadget, so who cares? My wife wanted one and spent $600 on it. She played with it for a couple days and now it is sitting on the table untouched for a few days. The novelty wore out. She wasn't looking for a "MBP-killer": it is a very different product designed to fill a different need. Just cuz you cannot afford one, or don't think it is worth the price, doesn't mean it is overpriced. Clearly if they cannot meet demand, you (well, an intelligent person) can argue it is underpriced.

sarko

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Multitasking is coming, and it's not meant to be a MBP-killer, so you'll have a long wait. This is a new type of device with a new type of interface. Get ready to see millions and millions of "idiots" buying into this new wave of computing. Don't get drowned by the wave.

Millions ? :rolleyes: Zillions maybe ???

Reminds me of the Kindle: "#1 bestselling product on Amazon".

A good example of wishful thinking.

The main reason behind the re-schedule are the bugs many users are complaining about. Mac geniuses have to re-think their pad before HP smashes it over.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Awsome news.

Apple had to play it safe with production. It did not know if the iPad was going to be a hit or not. One doesn't buy production lines for 10million a year with no idea if one can even sell 1 million.

The whiners just need to be patient. Ipad is coming.

I think that it's now 60 days overdue? so 120 days after Steve presented the keynote.

BraveArts

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Madrid, Spain

201430-ipad_side_view.jpg

Apple announced this morning that due to strong sales of the Apple iPad, they have delayed international delivery for about a month.Apple reports that the high demand is responsible for the delay in international shipments. International delivery will take place at the end of May. Details and pre-orders will be announced on May 10th.

Article Link: Over 500,000 iPads Sold, Apple Delays International Delivery until May

Yea, that's right. Sod the rest of the world and let America have it's fill first.
International Marketing 101 FAIL!

I tell you now though, if Apple screw Europe on the price as well as making us wait I for one will not be buying one. I was looking forward to it but now…
not so much!:mad:

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
Apple seems to have meeting demand when launching iProducts. Are they just unable to make enough, or do they just not order enough? After the original iPhone, you would think they would learn how to gauge demand better. But, nope. They had supply & demand issues with the 3G iPhone and now this.

totally.. Apple doesn't make mistakes. They knew they would stick it to the rest of the world when they released the iPad before they had enough units... They just don't care....

Then again, Japan never sends the best TVs, computers or cars, etc overseas, so a little payback is nice... I can probably buy from the US military bases here anyway ;)

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I'll buy one when it's a real MBP-killer, not a gadget. But I have to say that Steve is a master in communicating with idiots and selling overpriced crap.

You do realise it isn't MEANT to be a MBP killer don't you? That's why they were going on about a '3rd category of device'. If you want a MBP killer, I suggest a Dell notebook - I hear they make the best in the business.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

The main reason behind the re-schedule are the bugs many users are complaining about. Mac geniuses have to re-think their pad before HP smashes it over.

Millions I said, and millions I meant. Just wait and see how this decade develops. And no, HP will not smash the iPad for HP made a mistake of going with Windows for a tablet.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
It's an AMERICAN COMPANY, we get first dibs, deal with it. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for my 3g for crying out loud. Grow a spine!!!

Hate to burst your bubble.

It's NOT because Apple is an American Company.

It's because USA is the biggest Market to sell to in the world for stuff like that.

To those who don't understand manufacturing, especially of computer components, you can't just build factories for one product.
There are sub suppliers and how is anybody to know exactly about success or not?

I can't believe all the complainers about not being able to wait. You lived all your lives without an ipad , so what changes now?

Your Mom still loves you, it's all good:)

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK

Riiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhht.

OK, whatever you say must be true.

That explains why they're still selling these bug-laden devices to their core, home market then.

What's happened to common sense around here??

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
10% of those are now being sold in the Marketplace....LMAO! What a piece of junk idea that was. Oversided Touch!

sarko

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Not just because it is an Apple product. It is a gadget, so who cares? My wife wanted one and spent $600 on it. She played with it for a couple days and now it is sitting on the table untouched for a few days. The novelty wore out. She wasn't looking for a "MBP-killer": it is a very different product designed to fill a different need. Just cuz you cannot afford one, or don't think it is worth the price, doesn't mean it is overpriced. Clearly if they cannot meet demand, you (well, an intelligent person) can argue it is underpriced.

Agreed on the first point : the novelty wore out. It's overpriced because of this.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
yeah well FFS delay them is ok I guess... Its understandable

BUT TELLING US THE FECKING PRICE ISNT A PROBLEM! Up yours apple...

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Everyone wants one (well most people)... but this may just bite them on the ass...

The timeline of new products now in is all screwed up.. The two versions of iPad and iphone are going to clash... what would peoples first choice be a new iPhone or an iPad??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.