Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Semdk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
I was consindering buying the new 13" MacBook Pro (C2D 2,4GHz, Nvidia 320M) and wondered if it could run GTA IV.. do you think it could run it? - How many FPS?
How about Crysis?

Zonz

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
I was consindering buying the new 13" MacBook Pro (C2D 2,4GHz, Nvidia 320M) and wondered if it could run GTA IV.. do you think it could run it? - How many FPS?
How about Crysis?

AFAIK, GTA is very cpu dependent and best run on Quad Core systems, and the 13'' MBP, is still on a Core2Dou. And as for crisis, lmao.

The new 13 MBP is still using integrated graphics, so whether these games will even run, I do not know, but if they do, lowest settings.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
GTA has really crazy system requirements; well recommendations actually; I remember when I bought it, it said quad-core Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4 recommended. So by that, for at least a decent gaming experience, you'll want to pass.

Semdk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Which games do you then think that it will run? in other ways to put the question - Which OS X games are there left, which runs on it?

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
A lot of your questions are answered in the Mac and console games thread..... as for a 13" playing brand new titles.... Good luck...
First of all ... if the game isn't MAC compatible or on Steam for Mac you'll have to bootcamp Windows on your 13"
Second... from my experience graphically demanding games don't work well with the 13"... I recently bought Battlefield 2 Bad Company and played it on my bootcamped W7 on my 13" and the game struggled on Medium settings and was still hurting on low settings.

The graphics card is integrated. If you're looking to play graphically demanding games you're better off getting either a 15-17" MBP if you're looking for a Laptop or a Mac Pro.... the latter being the better option when it comes to graphically intensive games....

MBP's aren't the greatest for gaming but with the port over of Steam it's making life a little more interesting.

If you just want to play something like GTA IV you're better off playing it on PS3!

You can't always have it all... trust me!

iTootyFrooty

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Essex, UK
Second... from my experience graphically demanding games don't work well with the 13"... I recently bought Battlefield 2 Bad Company and played it on my bootcamped W7 on my 13" and the game struggled on Medium settings and was still hurting on low settings.

If you just want to play something like GTA IV you're better off playing it on PS3!

I agree with the second part, but, assuming your signature is up to date, you have an older 9400m graphics card and therefore you cant really make a conclusion about whether 320ms can play modern games.

colmiak

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
How about Crysis?

avg fps on my 2010 mbp 13" (base 2.4ghz model) is 18-19 (720p resolution). i havent ran fraps to see the max/min, just the ingame benchmark. here's a video showing how it runs on my mbp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNGAQF9P3k

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.