Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitobeirens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
ok, i have an airport extreme base station and i heard you need a modem to connect it to, i have a bt homehub and need to just get the internet setup. i can't seem to set it up how hard i try.:mad:

kitobeirens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
yeah im using the bt homehub to post now but i want to use the extreme as it can transmit a better signal then i will boost it with my express into rooms to get a strong signal

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Ok, that's not how modems and routers work. This is how you connect to the internet

ISP -> Modem -> Router -> Computer

The BT Home Hub is at the "Router" stage of the simplistic diagram above. You need to connect your modem to the AEBS in order for it to do what you want. You must have a modem already if you are on the internet.

kitobeirens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
ok but my bt homehub is connected to a little device (from the wall) that splits into telephone and dsl it connects fine but when i put the extreme in it says the enthernet is unplugged and there is nothing in the wan port but the dsl cable is and the green light that is supposed to come on when you put a cable in doesnt even turn on and then off it just stays unlit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.