Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
This shouldn't be hard. I don't know why it's not working. I'm using a late '08 Unibody MBP 15" and a 52" Sony Bravia LCD TV.

I have a Monoprice MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI cable, and it works great (I'm aware that there's no audio passing through the HDMI, even though technically it should be able to pass it through). Picture looks wonderful.

However, the audio will not work. I'm using a 1/8" (headphone) to RCA (left/right) cable, and I cannot get it to work for the life of me. The cable is good. It works for other applications (iPod to soundboard, etc). I plug the MDP-to-HDMI cable into the HDMI 2 port and the computer...bam...works great. Then I plug the RCA-to-1/8" cable into the computer's headphone jack and the appropriate inputs for sound underneath the HDMI 2 port, and nothing. Is there something I'm supposed to do to enable it? All volumes are correct on the computer and the TV. I'm tried other HDMI inputs and respective sound inputs, and still nothing. I've checked the System Preferences for sound, and the "output" is indeed the headphone jack.

ANY HELP AT ALL would be appreciated!! :) Thanks!

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
this is most likely an issue with your tv. I have my mini setup the exact same way. You might need to go into your tv's menu and enable that analog input. The tv might think the sound is coming through HDMI instead of RCA.

Also, without letting us know what TV you have, it's kind of hard to help you.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
this is most likely an issue with your tv. I have my mini setup the exact same way. You might need to go into your tv's menu and enable that analog input. The tv might think the sound is coming through HDMI instead of RCA.

Also, without letting us know what TV you have, it's kind of hard to help you.

I did let you know. It's at the top of the post. :)

EDIT: I tried adjusting settings to no avail. I can't find anywhere in the menus to "enable" the audio input ports. I'm assuming they just work. Each HDMI input has stereo RCA audio jacks right underneath it. That's where I have it plugged in. All volumes are up where they should be. :/

Any other ideas?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
from page 11 of the manual (otherwise know as the M in RTFM :))

a link to the pdf of the manual -- http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40V4100.pdf

If the equipment has a DVI jack and not an HDMI jack, connect the DVI jack to the HDMI IN 4 (with DVI-to-HDMI cable or adapter) jack, and connect the audio jack to the AUDIO IN (L/R) jacks of HDMI IN 4.

the audio inputs you say are by HDMI2 are not by HDMI2, they are by (and the audio inputs for) the yellow composite input which is Video2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.