Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Think The New MacBook Pro Games?

• Total voters

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, the way it works is... when I upload the video to youtube - it takes some of the umph of the graphics away, which is shame because I can't stress how good the graphics are.
True, it is something you need to experience in person. A few of my friends that play with me compare Bad Company 2's jungles to those in Crysis.

It's a very beautiful game and it runs well enough on the 9500 GT but it's gorgeous on the 4830 at 1680 x 1050.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Dalaran is never going to run smooth on the MBP. Dalaran typically chugs on Hardcore gamer PCs. A Mid Grade GPU is guaranteed to chug

To some extent, it's memory-driven; under 3GB = horrible lag, 4GB = livable. I'm going to be very interested in seeing how this compares to my desktop, which is running Linux (and thus, indirectly, running essentially single-threaded for the core processing, because the Linux GL library isn't multithreading-friendly). That machine gets the same frame rate in Dalaran whether it's at 800x600, no AA, or 1920x1200, 8xAA, because the limiting factor is a single CPU core.

mrobison

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
AR
Does anybody have any 15" HR (1680x1050) reports? I'm curious as to see how Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, L4D2, etc. hold up at native res.

Benjones-KY

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I have the higher res i7 version. So far the only games I tested were Team Fortress 2 and ran the Half Life Lost Coast benchmark.

TF2: 1680x1050, tested everything on high with 2x Anti-Aliasing and HDR off (I prefer it off). Didn't have time to play an actual game because I had classes. I averaged about 60-90 frames running playing around in badlands. Expect lower with a lot of action. I got about 30-50 frames on koth_viaduct which is one of the hardest maps to run and I had 16 AI controlled bots sapping my processor. Probably going to have to dial back settings slightly to get a steady 60 fps.

Lost Coast Benchmark: 1680x1050, everything on high, HDR on, probably 2x AA I recieved an overall average of 123 fps. This pretty much assures that LFD2 will run fine.

Right now I'm downloading L4D2, Crysis, HL2: episode 2 and Bad Company 2 . If you guys want to know how they run I won't mind posting benchmarks.

First time ever using these forums so sorry if there's another thread addressing this or whatever.

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
I have the higher res i7 version. So far the only games I tested were Team Fortress 2 and ran the Half Life Lost Coast benchmark.

TF2: 1680x1050, tested everything on high with 2x Anti-Aliasing and HDR off (I prefer it off). Didn't have time to play an actual game because I had classes. I averaged about 60-90 frames running playing around in badlands. Expect lower with a lot of action. I got about 30-50 frames on koth_viaduct which is one of the hardest maps to run and I had 16 AI controlled bots sapping my processor. Probably going to have to dial back settings slightly to get a steady 60 fps.

Lost Coast Benchmark: 1680x1050, everything on high, HDR on, probably 2x AA I recieved an overall average of 123 fps. This pretty much assures that LFD2 will run fine.

Right now I'm downloading L4D2, Crysis, HL2: episode 2 and Bad Company 2 . If you guys want to know how they run I won't mind posting benchmarks.

First time ever using these forums so sorry if there's another thread addressing this or whatever.

Post benchmarks please :)

mrobison

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
AR
Yes, please. That would be awesome. Welcome to the forums! By the way, you are running at native resolution?

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA

Wow yes please get these up, would love to see that stuff.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Just got done with some L4D2:

Results:
All settings at High, 2xAA, 4x AF, Vsync is OFF, 1440 (native), Pagepool is Low, Multicore is on.

c1m3_mall0000.jpg
c1m3_mall0003.jpg
c1m4_atrium0007.jpg

The game avg. in the mid 40's and went as high as low 60s to as low as high 20s. The game felt extremely smooth and I never felt a chug. Considering I am running some pretty hefty settings, you can probably avg. a low 60s or high 50s if you drop the AA.

Benjones-KY

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Just finished playing a few games.

Crysis: First tried 1680x1050. Frames are terrible with everything on high, but runs perfectly fine on medium. I don't know the console command to show FPS in this game, but I would guess 30-40 fps on medium.

Bumped everything to high to see what resolution it would run at. Dropped to 1280x800 and it ran smoothe and also ran smoothe at 1366x768. For comparison 1366x768 is about 80% of the pixels as people who get the 1440x900 display. They could probably run Crysis with some settings on high up until the last parts of the game.

Left 4 Dead 2- 1680x1050, every setting on max with V synch off and 2x AA and Trilinear filtering. I toggled settings a few times, but no dramatic changed. Ranged from 25-60 fps, usually hovering around at 35-40. Used the console command net_graph 1 to monitor fps.

Team Fortress 2: Played this for a few hours last night with power saver mode on accidentally. Had everything on high and 1680x1050 res. Ran perfectly fine with about 40-60 fps and a lot of action on screen. Hope I remember this correctly. I played in a larger server as well, probably 24 man. TF2 will run perfect.

Half Life Lost Coast Benchmark: Just ran it a few seconds ago and got 124.61 fps. Ran it last night with Power Saver mode on and got 100.00 exactly.

All these results are from an i7 Macbook using Windows 7 Ultimate. The only other relevant games I have are Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge and I guess GTA IV. I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing Battlefield, but he was playing it in lower res and 4:3 aspect ratio so it really didn't push the comp at all and probably looked weird.

Basically, any Source game will run well at native res on high settings and all other newer games will have to be scaled back slightly in resolution or graphics for the high res screen.

seitou

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
New York City
Has anyone gotten a chance to try the Starcraft 2 Beta? I'm very curious about that game in particular because its going to be a must buy game whenever it comes out. :)

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
2.66GHz i7 - GTA 4 patch 1.0.6.0 and over-clock ?

anyone tried the latest HW with GTA 4 + latest patch ?
I really enjoyed this game but i played only a but, as it was pain in the ass on the latest C2D.

Especially the strange stuttering effect. Doest the 330M helps in this ? How well does the VGA overclock ?

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I just got done overclocking the GT 330m. My first 3dmark 06 benchmarks at stock was 6.8k.

I used nvidia tools and overclock to:
Graphics: 650
Memory: 900
Proc: 1430

I ran stress tests and then benchmarks. My new 3dmark06 score is 7.8k which is a thousand point increase for you math whiz's. Not bad and the thing has run solid so far. It's a decent overclocker so far but I havent OC'd to test the threshold but by gauging the temps I am pretty sure I am near the max. I MIGHT be able to hit 700 grafx but it may run a little too hot. I am content with this at the moment.

@Seitou: I am installing SC2 as we speak and I'll get back in here.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Just got done with some L4D2:

Results:
All settings at High, 2xAA, 4x AF, Vsync is OFF, 1440 (native), Pagepool is Low, Multicore is on.

c1m3_mall0000.jpg
c1m3_mall0003.jpg
c1m4_atrium0007.jpg

The game avg. in the mid 40's and went as high as low 60s to as low as high 20s. The game felt extremely smooth and I never felt a chug. Considering I am running some pretty hefty settings, you can probably avg. a low 60s or high 50s if you drop the AA.

Going to be grabbing my i7 soon enough, wait what config in yours again?? I am wondering if AA really helps out on such a small screen...

maximus06

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
I just got done overclocking the GT 330m. My first 3dmark 06 benchmarks at stock was 6.8k.

I used nvidia tools and overclock to:
Graphics: 650
Memory: 900
Proc: 1430

I ran stress tests and then benchmarks. My new 3dmark06 score is 7.8k which is a thousand point increase for you math whiz's. Not bad and the thing has run solid so far. It's a decent overclocker so far but I havent OC'd to test the threshold but by gauging the temps I am pretty sure I am near the max. I MIGHT be able to hit 700 grafx but it may run a little too hot. I am content with this at the moment.

@Seitou: I am installing SC2 as we speak and I'll get back in here.

YES, that makes me very happy. What did you use to overclock (drivers, program?).

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I used nvidia tools for overclocking as stated. AFAIK, it is the only way to OC the 330m since rivatuner does not support it yet.

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Warranty

Would this be a SW overclock in windows or a semi-permanent HW overclock affecting MAC as well ?? This will be my first mac in ten years :D after ruddy d-link wireless card failed in jan :mad:
anyways, this would be the first time i over clock anything ;) but would this void the warranty ??

soon to get 15" i7 when UK back to school starts

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Would this be a SW overclock in windows or a semi-permanent HW overclock affecting MAC as well ?? This will be my first mac in ten years :D after ruddy d-link wireless card failed in jan :mad:
anyways, this would be the first time i over clock anything ;) but would this void the warranty ??

Nvidia tools is purely a software tool and does not affect the hardware clocks on the physical side. Overclocking is always at your own risk.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA

There isn't a way to OC a mac from the hardware side, and in most cases not a SF either.

(I think?)

Really wish that would change, though the thermal envelope on a MBP is pretty small.

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
WoW on base 13"

Does anyone know how WoW will play on a new 2010 13" MBP? I have a 2006 15" MBP 2.16, and I get about 30 to 40 fps which is ok. I only do occasional gaming.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone know how WoW will play on a new 2010 13" MBP? I have a 2006 15" MBP 2.16, and I get about 30 to 40 fps which is ok. I only do occasional gaming.

Was that the radeon x1600? If so, you are going from an discrete to an integrated card. BUT, you are getting a better processor, better ram, and a lowe res so i'd say you'd still be in the same 30-40fps range but with maybe a bit more bells and whistles. It's tough to say because so little is known on the 320m

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA

Same settings you should kill it, with the new MBP you could turn things up and average the same FPS

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009

On my 2009 13" MBP (9400M) I can get between 30-60 fps running with low settings at the native 1280x800. Dalaran usually hovers around ~20fps, but 5 mans run pretty smoothly in the ~30fps range. Haven't raided much on the 13" so I can't say for certain how well it would go.

If the 320M is as fast as Apple claims it is, you should see some improvements over this.

tjp820

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anyone here plan on playing The Old Republic? I got a Hi Res i7 15 and was thinking about not opening it when I get it and exchanging it for a stock i7 just to make sure I have better game performance. What do you guys think?

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Anyone here plan on playing The Old Republic? I got a Hi Res i7 15 and was thinking about not opening it when I get it and exchanging it for a stock i7 just to make sure I have better game performance. What do you guys think?

As in Kotor? You could run that maxxxxxxxed out Np

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.