Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094646-iphone-4-japon-applesfera.jpg

The iPhone 4G images posted yesterday by Engadget have been proven to be fake. Applesfera reports that the device is a Japanese iPhone counterfeit. They have posted another image of the device (above) which is claimed to have been purchased in Japan by a reader.

Article Link: Images of iPhone 4G Actually a Japanese Counterfeit

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
LOL China is not alone in making iPhone counterfeits! I thought that Japanese people do not make counterfeits and think that's a shame.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So how many of us are surprised?

I didn't read that whole other thread, but from what I saw it's not many of us, right?

Honestly, I prefer the "he photoshopped a new device just to fool people" kind of fake rumor to these. At least those look cool.

xerent

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
I'm more surprised that serious mac news sites published the photos in the first place when they were so hideous to begin with.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'd laugh more at the people who actually thought it was real. This is never an Apple design in a million years
Android lovers were happy because Apple "has made" a new iPhone which looks the same as their Nexus or Droids with iPhone os inside! It's just like what everyone's reaction if Apple allows MacOS to be installed on a Dell PC.

AlohaiPhone

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2008
That pic is fake.
See how the lower corner of that phone look ?
Its liner perspective ain't right AT ALL.
It's obviously a photoshop mokup of one of the previous images to make it look like the guy's holding it.

FAKE,
This is no counterfeit phone.
This might actually be the iPhone HD...

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Not really a surprise. Couldnt believe when some people really thought it could be legitimate. I'm going to place a FCC logo on the back on my iPod touch now and will start the new rumor.

iPhone S is here
(S for Slim :p)

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Well that was obvious. Really think apple would put their name to something that looked that cheap!?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Ok people lets please not pretend that if Apple actually did release that phone you wouldn't think it was the best looking phone in the history of mankind and be hanging off Ives nutsack saying how you love it and its so magical

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ok people lets please not pretend that if Apple actually did release that phone you wouldn't think it was the best looking phone in the history of mankind and be hanging off Ives nutsack saying how you love it and its so magical

99% of the time I respect opinions I disagree with.

You are the rare 1% that I feel comfortable telling "you are wrong" without any qualifications.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Though do you remember when the back casing of the iPhone 3G was touted as fake but ended up being genuine. I wouldn't put it past apple to do something like this to throw us off the scent,

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I really doubt it's a Japanese fake, more likely a Chinese produced knockoff that was purchased in Japan. Japan isn't really known for producing counterfeit items any more, they still have problems with stores selling them though. I've seen a few news reports about stores selling fake Louis Vitton items and stuff.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

I said in the other thread that I would buy a 3GS in the summer instead of this because this phone looks ugly as sin.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Though do you remember when the back casing of the iPhone 3G was touted as fake but ended up being genuine. I wouldn't put it past apple to do something like this to throw us off the scent,

The thing is, we've already established what the device is and where it's from.

otozuz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I was waiting for this news! It's a shame that so many user (on Engadget) had believed to such a horrible design.

Jonathan Ive is one of the best industrial designer in the world, He will never design something so ugly.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Man, looking at those pictures from the last post, I don't know how ANYONE who owns Apple products made in the last 5 years could ever believe this was an Apple design. Blech.

Still entertaining though. I suspect that we'll be seeing more and more of these purported 4th Gen iPhone pictures over the next two months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.