Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
bought a new headset, it has 2 cables. one is the music one and the other is headphone.

i got the music one. which one is the microphone one? the 1 beside the music one? i have it plugged in but its not showing in the sounds in preferences

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Plug it in / go to system preferences / sound / input / make sure your mic is set up correctly.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
White MacBook
apple-macbook-laptop-ports-all.jpg

Aluminium Unibody MacBook, the same as with the white MacBook
3040249249_343516df2e.jpg

The White Unibody MacBook has no dedicated audio in.
4536457638_cfefda6d2e_o.png

The Aluminium Unibody 13" MacBook Pro also has no dedicated audio in.
4535826085_d39f8dc527_o.png

So, I'm out of guesses, someone else has to tip in now and guess further what the problem could be.

So, what MacBook do you have and do those jacks connected to the headset have some kind of colour coding (green/reed/pink/...)?

Any more information you can give us, like OS version, software you use with the headset, ...?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ok so you have some headphones where the mic cable is plugged into the line in and it's not working? Check the mic? Use another just to see.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Ok so you have some headphones where the mic cable is plugged into the line in and it's not working? Check the mic? Use another just to see.

Is it in all the way I know the new MBPs need to be pushed in harder.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
sigh why does everything have to be so difficult...

they're all pushed in. I went to the input tab in sounds and there are only 2 options: built in mic and Line In. Nothing shows up regarding my microphone from my headset.

My headset/microphone is from razer.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
sigh why does everything have to be so difficult...

they're all pushed in. I went to the input tab in sounds and there are only 2 options: built in mic and Line In. Nothing shows up regarding my microphone from my headset.

My headset/microphone is from razer.

So what happens if you choose LINE-IN?

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
nothing.

i talk, and notthing shows up on vent , no sounds. the audio logo on vent doesnt even move when i talk

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
after doing some research, do i need an imic?

im so pissed off atm everything seems more difficult with macs now...

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I DONT WANT TO USE THE BUILT IN ONE

I bought a $120 headset/microphone, came home opened it plugged it into my computer everything is good except the microphone doesnt work. they are all plugged in properly.

I'm willing to take pictures/videos for more help if im not explaining this good enough.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
nothing.

i talk, and notthing shows up on vent , no sounds. the audio logo on vent doesnt even move when i talk

MacBooks (even in the PowerBook days) do NOT have a microphone input jack. Line-in jack is different from microphone jack. A microphone input is an amplified port, whereas line-in is not (it is simply an audio input).

The reason your headset is not working is because the audio signal is not being amplified through the line-in port. I tried getting a headset before and used the line-in thinking it would work. Nope. Tried (and returned) two different headsets before realizing this. I needed a powered USB headset.

I guess either buy an external sound amplifier or get a USB-powered headset.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
lol wow. last time im ever buying an apple computer. such great computers with the easiest problems that they won't solve.

is the imic an external sound amplifier ?

you're not going to buy a Mac again because you can't use a headset straight out of the box? That seems like a VERY small annoyance to the otherwise vastly overwelming benefits from using a Mac and OS X.

But to answer your question, yes, the iMic would be an example of what you are looking for. Your headset microphone should work now with one of those.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
i take that back

just been frustrating. i need to go replace my logic board cause apple screwed up their video cards, and now i need to spend more money to get a headset to work

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I gotcha. That sucks that you're having other problems. I'd be kinda pissed too. Hopefully the logic board replacement is covered under AppleCare.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
are there any alternatives to the imic where i can buyit at bestbuy or futureshop?

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
lol wow.
is the imic an external sound amplifier ?

Yes and no. Your headset will work with it as well as the mic (I have one). The no part is that it's technically an external sound card so it will show up as another option in the Sounds of System Preferences.

are there any alternatives to the imic where i can buyit at bestbuy or futureshop?

BestBuy only has:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Creativ...423921440&skuId=8953705&st=creative&cp=1&lp=8

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Creativ...037433764&skuId=9149977&st=creative&cp=1&lp=9

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Will that 2nd USB one actuallly fit the left side of the mbp without blocking the charger adapter?

matoch

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2006
I use an imic on my macs for vent. I bought mine at the University of Alberta bookstore and I'm pretty sure I've seen them at mymacdealer if you happen to be in edmonton.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I DONT WANT TO USE THE BUILT IN ONE

I bought a $120 headset/microphone, came home opened it plugged it into my computer everything is good except the microphone doesnt work. they are all plugged in properly.

I'm willing to take pictures/videos for more help if im not explaining this good enough.

Line in needs an amplified signal to work, your mic isn't one.

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Not going to shop BB in Canada for you, but how about something like this?
http://www.macworld.com/article/49514/2006/02/ahs302usb.html

What about something like this?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX093LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

That's what I was thinking of getting for use with the iPhone, and one of the comments/reviews says it works with a Mac. Should, its just a Bluetooth device afterall.

Maybe this?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW373LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Anyway, Google or search the Apple Store for 'mac headset'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.