Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chreller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Hi!

My 2cents on the performance issue: I would at lest wait to see the Asus benchmarked to be sure how much more sheer CPU power it has.

I am using Matlab quite often as well as LaTeX compiling and both runs decently fast on my 15 uMBP 2.66 GHz. I would just like to have 8GB RAM instead of the 4GB I have for several applications being opened (VmWare, Matlab etc.).

Ergonomy: I think it's more important then the sheer CPU performance. I use the MBP relatively often on the ride (train or aircraft) and there the ergonomy of the huge MBP trackpad is unbeaten. Whenever I see those other guys around with their tiny trackpads having their mouse beside on a foldable table in the train I feel with them, this is not the way I could work for some hours.
I personally can compare to HP's 8530's lot's of my colleagues got from the company and being even better speced than my MBP. If I use these machines and the trackpad I ask myself after putting two fingers on "and how should I move now, the trackpad is already nearly fully covered by my fingers".

I do not know about the Asus trackpad, seems not as tiny as the HP's but I would definitely compare such things in advance.

Fortunately, I got my MBP from my company but even if I now would have to by one again I would go for it with my own money. Do you have no option to buy it over student friends? This saves 12% ;)

I have friends who both have the MBP and the UL30A Asus (same case), and of cause the Macbook is unbeatable when it comes to ergonomics.

I'm in a position where the price of the Macbook and Asus are almost the same, the Macbook cost 8500 (danish crowns) and the Asus cost 8000 (danish crowns.)

The Macbook I can get now while the Asus hasn't been released yet, and no real reviews have been made yet, so i'm a bit torn between the two.

smelly cat

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
There's a big piece of the puzzle everyone here is missing.

Here's my take on the issue: the OP seems to be emphasizing battery life as an important part of the notebook he purchases. Additionally, both laptops are rated with a battery life of 10 hours.

However it seems that nobody has considered the number of recharges that each battery is rated for. Sure both batteries can hold their own for 10 hours on a charge, but how many years will they be able to retain that charge capacity? the MBP uses a lithium polymer battery with adaptive charging and is rated for 1000 recharges or 5 years of use. The asus on the other hand is still rocking industry standard technology with lithium ion chemistry. thus giving it only about 300 recharges or about 1/3 the lifespan the life of the mbp's battery.

not to try and spew apple marketing hype but it's something to keep in mind. the battery lifespan was one of the biggest reasons i went with apple this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.