Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hey all. After stumbling on Landon Fuller's Java 6 Port for OS X and realizing that I only have up to Java 5, I download the associated file (soylatte16-i386-r2.tar), expanded it, and now have no idea how to use the files in the folder it created. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Java is an integral part of MacOS X. Software Update will automatically update Java to the most recent version that is appropriate to your system.

dev-random

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Germany
Well, Soylatte lacks most of the integration into Mac OS X, but it makes newer versions of Java available to old versions of Mac OS X.

Let /Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3 be the folder you extracted the downloaded archive to, then open up the Terminal app and run your java application via:
/Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3/bin/java /path/to/my/jar-file.jar

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Well, Soylatte lacks most of the integration into Mac OS X, but it makes newer versions of Java available to old versions of Mac OS X.

Let /Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3 be the folder you extracted the downloaded archive to, then open up the Terminal app and run your java application via:
/Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3/bin/java /path/to/my/jar-file.jar
Terminal was having trouble finding the file (it's in my Favorites folder) - what does this do once entered?
EDIT
Upon entry I received this, thoughts?
-bash: /Users/my user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java: cannot execute binary file

dev-random

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Germany
Terminal was having trouble finding the file (it's in my Favorites folder) - what does this do once entered?
EDIT
Upon entry I received this, thoughts?
-bash: /Users/my user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
Sry, missed a parameter there. You need to tell the interpreter, that it's a jar-file:
/Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3/bin/java -jar /path/to/my/jar-file.jar

(And I'm sure you encapsulate paths with spaces in them by double-quotes ")

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Sry, missed a parameter there. You need to tell the interpreter, that it's a jar-file:
/Users/Username/Downloads/soylatte16-amd64-1.0.3/bin/java -jar /path/to/my/jar-file.jar

(And I'm sure you encapsulate paths with spaces in them by double-quotes ")
Hmmm....
Mac:~ user$ /Users/user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java -jar /path/to/my/jar-file.jar
-bash: /Users/user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
Still not liking it. Is it possible I downloaded the wrong version of the port?

dev-random

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Germany
Mac:~ user$ /Users/user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java -jar /path/to/my/jar-file.jar
-bash: /Users/user/Favourites/soylatte16-i386-r2/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
Did you adjust the path to the jar-file as well? /path/to/my/jar-file is just an example. Sry for asking but I don't know your skills and experience ;)

dev-random

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Germany
The jar-file should be in the folder of the application you want to launch. May I ask, which java application you are trying to open?

xtiansimon

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Me too!

Oi! I'm trying the same thing now using the soylatte16-1386-1.0.3 package from http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/

Not used to Java, I don't know how to troubleshoot execution of java apps. I landed here for experiencing the same error. Since I see no resolution here, I thought to post my version. The instructions say to download to any dir. so I put my soylatte here:

/Developer/Java/soylatte16-1386-1.0.3

and tried the instructions (above) from this directory:
/Developer/Java/soylatte16-1386-1.0.3/demo/management/MemoryManager

#/Developer/Java/soylatte16-1386-1.0.3/bin/java -jar MemoryMonitor.jar

this produced the error: "cannot execute binary file"

xtiansimon

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Are you using an Intel Mac? This won't run on a PowerPC Mac.

Actually the SoyLatte Open SDK page for Java 7 has a port to PPC 10.5 and Intel 10.4, and I mistakenly believed it would include PPC 10.4, which is what I am using.

As I recall, from when I upgraded my PPC to 10.4, this is the true "last island" of the PPC chain of machines. Starting with 10.5, OSX is "machine specific" which means that newer versions of OSX are not backwards compatible, ending, with 10.4, a long history of being able to extend the life of older machines. Not since the end of OS9 has Apple made such a significant break from supporting older machines. So, its not with a little bit of disappointment that I discover the OpenSDK did not choose to bridge this gap. It would have been a significant contribution to the Apple community.

:(

darkvoltage

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Everything I try just gives me the same message..

like the other guys said ummm almost 7 years ago it keeps saying -bash:

/Users/Jonathan/Downloads/soylatte16-i386/bin/java-jar/path/to/my/jar-file.jar: No such file or directory

and this is my current path or what shows up in Terminal when I start it..

export PATH=/usr/local/soylatte16-i386/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
export JAVA_HOME=/Users/Owners/desktop/soylatte16-i386

And also yes I have a PPC running Mac Lion I believe 10.5.8 PLEASE HELP!!!
:confused::confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.