Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hey guys,

Planning on buying the Ipad 3g when its released, wanted to know your thoughts on which store I should grab it from.. Basically its because I dont know if I should get the Applecare warranty or the Best buy warranty.

Which store is usually more easy going with repairs/fixes?
Is one better then the other?
Im not sure on prices yet, but I will be getting the 32Gig 3g Ipad, so im thinking Best Buy might be pricier for their warranty.

or should I go with a third party warranty like SquareTrade

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ip..._071:ipadad1&gclid=CIaNvLzsoqECFSd75QodtiA7xw

Thanks guys..
mzt

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I think you can get AppleCare separately - I haven't specifically looked for the iPad but you can for most Apple products.

Apple Stores will work with any Apple product, it doesn't matter where you bought it.

If I'm right about AppleCare (you should verify), it really doesn't matter where you buy it, other than factors you already know, like which is closer to you or which has the better shopping experience. I plan to buy at the first that has the model I want available for me to walk out with it during the visit (ie I don't want to order online or preorder and pick up later).

fusarium

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Square Trade!

Go with SquareTrade. It's $1 less a year than Apple Care, plus includes accidental damage. I called ST last night and asked. They said I'd get a full replacement if I "dropped it in the lake ... and recovered it", "ran over it with a lawnmower", "dropped a weight on the screen" or the usual wear-and-tear.

And 3 of the above 4 have happened to my iPod Touch, iPhone.

Time to get Square Trade!

mzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Go with SquareTrade. It's $1 less a year than Apple Care, plus includes accidental damage. I called ST last night and asked. They said I'd get a full replacement if I "dropped it in the lake ... and recovered it", "ran over it with a lawnmower", "dropped a weight on the screen" or the usual wear-and-tear.

And 3 of the above 4 have happened to my iPod Touch, iPhone.

Time to get Square Trade!

Ah ok, SquareTrade sounds good for sure. they are pretty legit?

There warranty includes problems obviously like the hardware just stop working..etc.. They replace it with a new Ipad?

After my 1 year from apple, I would use SquareTrade?

I will research further, maybe give them a call as well.. sounds really to good to be true :p

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
The difference between AppleCare and SquareTrade is that AC is hardware warranty without accidental damage, but with tech support. ST is a warranty with accidental damage and without tech support.

ST is a little cheaper - $89.99 with code IPAD25IPAD - and since I do not want tech support, that's the one I am choosing.

mzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
The difference between AppleCare and SquareTrade is that AC is hardware warranty without accidental damage, but with tech support. ST is a warranty with accidental damage and without tech support.

ST is a little cheaper - $89.99 with code IPAD25IPAD - and since I do not want tech support, that's the one I am choosing.

right, I dont care about tech support either, I just want to know if I brick it messing around with it or the hardware just fails ( wifi not working etc.)..

That I know I can get it replaced etc. Also having the accidental coverage is great as well.. im not bringing on any jetskis tho lol...

Thanks for the promo code.. ill use it when I most likely go with SquareTrade.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
My Amex gold card adds an extra year to the warranty. Amex has reimbursed me about $3,000 for two laptops that died just after the mfgr warranty.

Lotus Esprit V8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
New England
Most people never make claims on these extended warranties and it is really not worth it for such a low priced item as an iPad.

If you have a 55" LCD, obviously if something happens to it, it would be more of a pain to replace it then get in home service so that is something that I would get an extended warranty on.

mzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Most people never make claims on these extended warranties and it is really not worth it for such a low priced item as an iPad.

If you have a 55" LCD, obviously if something happens to it, it would be more of a pain to replace it then get in home service so that is something that I would get an extended warranty on.

heh, I dont really think a $88 dollar investment to cover a $729 dollar Ipad is that all of a waste? Esp for spills and drops added in this type of warranty.

I think its alot of money heh :p

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Squaretrade!!

Wow I did not even know these guys existed until I read this thread. So since I dont have 89 bucks to be throwing around, I actually did some research. I checked the BBB online and these guys have had an A+ rating since 2007. And mostly 5 start reviews on nextag.... I got the bestbuy coverage but I can still cancel within a week.... Might not be worth the hassle but best buys insurance is 130 for 1 year. Squaretrade's is 89 for 2 years.. might be too good to pass up...

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Definitely get SquareTrade. They're great and it's well worth the money. There is really no need for tech support on an iPad, they're extremely simple. And most problems will come from accidental damage. There is no deductible and they will replace your iPad no matter what, as long as you still physically have it.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
...extended warranty? I cant lose!

- Homer Simpson

How about just taking care of it guys? I mean almost $100 per year? Really? You have waaaay too much disposable income.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.