Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
So, I'm an avid user of :apple:TV and Handbrake. Both amazing products. I have a DVD library that I'm wanting to rip, and I am having a strange little issue that I can't seem to solve.

After a lot of playing around, I've found the 'universal' preset to be the best, I'm going after perfect quality rather than suppressing file sizes.

However, when I rip SOME DVD's and I must stress, it is just some. Not many at all actually. My :apple:TV unit registers the movie file as HD, and as such puts a little HD logo next to the movie. This is frustrating for me, as the movies arn't really HD at all. They are just DVD rips.

Does anyone know what I'm doing that is causing this? I'm a bit OCD when it comes to uniformity amongst my movie library. And having HD symbols next to non HD movies really kinda ticks me off.

Chiisu

macrumors member
So, I'm an avid user of :apple:TV and Handbrake. Both amazing products. I have a DVD library that I'm wanting to rip, and I am having a strange little issue that I can't seem to solve.

After a lot of playing around, I've found the 'universal' preset to be the best, I'm going after perfect quality rather than suppressing file sizes.

However, when I rip SOME DVD's and I must stress, it is just some. Not many at all actually. My :apple:TV unit registers the movie file as HD, and as such puts a little HD logo next to the movie. This is frustrating for me, as the movies arn't really HD at all. They are just DVD rips.

Does anyone know what I'm doing that is causing this? I'm a bit OCD when it comes to uniformity amongst my movie library. And having HD symbols next to non HD movies really kinda ticks me off.

Are the DVD's in PAL format? If so the TV will mark them as HD when your viewing them on NTSC. At least It did that for a PAL DVD that I ripped.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Are the DVD's in PAL format? If so the TV will mark them as HD when your viewing them on NTSC. At least It did that for a PAL DVD that I ripped.

The one I just ripped that it happened on is PAL yes. But I thought all DVD's in my region are PAL? Perhaps not! Hrmmm. The plot thickens! I definitely don't have any NTSC equipment though...I live in a country outside of the US where PAL is standard.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
What is the resolution of one of the offending files? After allowing for the file being anomorphic than a PAL DVD encode should be no bigger than 1024x576. I think if the height is bigger than this it will be marked as HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.