Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

132142-malware_ipad_enticement.jpg

On its Malware City blog, antivirus firm BitDefender notes that malware creators have begun to take advantage of the hype surrounding Apple's new iPad tablet device as a means of social engineering to encourage users to download their malicious software disguised as an iTunes update.
Identified by BitDefender as Backdoor.Bifrose.AADY,the piece of malicious code inadvertently downloaded injects itself in to the explorer.exe process and opens up a backdoor that allows unauthorized access to and control over the affected system.

Moreover, Backdoor.Bifrose.AADYattempts to read the keys and serial numbers of the various software installed on the affected computer, while also logging the passwords to the victim's ICQ, Messenger, POP3 mail accounts, and protected storage.
The malware is advertised in the form of an awkwardly-worded email message and includes a link to a site formatted similarly to Apple's iTunes download page but hosting the malicious software.

The report is careful to note that the malware in question only targets Windows, and thus users of Mac OS X are unaffected. The iPad itself is also unaffected by the malware, as its mention is simply used to entice its owner to download the infected software.

Article Link: Windows Malware Disguised as iTunes Update Targets iPad Owners

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
If ANYONE falls for that, they deserve what they get. The grammar in that email makes me sick.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Well, this message is indeed awkwardly-worded. Anyone who speaks English and uses iTunes will instantly realise that something is wrong with this!

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I'm confused.

Malware creators supposedly ignore the Mac platform because it's too small and they go after Windows because it's larger, not because it's less secure. However this malware is targeting Windows based iPad users...that's maybe what 500K right now more or less? And to be clear, it only affects the Windows platform, not the iPad itself (which is OS X based).

So tell us Windows fan boys, why did this happen?

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I'm confused.

Malware creators supposedly ignore the Mac platform because it's too small and they go after Windows because it's larger, not because it's less secure. However this malware is targeting Windows based iPad users...that's maybe what 500K right now more or less? And to be clear, it only affects the Windows platform, not the iPad itself (which is OS X based).

So tell us Windows fan boys, why did this happen?

Exactly. Since like 10 people probably have a iPad and update it through there windows computer.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
I could see maybe earlier on with the iPhone being the deception, since you're probably more likely to see more users who are new to computers and/or never used iTunes (until they got their phone) and not knowing how Apple updates work on Windows, but I don't see too many iPad users falling for it.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Bahahaha, I can just see someone looking at that and going "Cool. Seems legit."

A hacker who was also an adept writer would be really dangerous.

Even then, the download link that is clearly NOT the Apple website would give it away. No point going to too much effort to make it any more convincing. You are only hoping to fool the incredibly stupid anyway - which by the way is a surprisingly huge amount of computer users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.