Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
MikeCase said:
On a comic related note, CZ has been crashing an awful lot for me. A couple of my comics will crash on every page turn. Even just rotating it will crash.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, there were a few series which crashed. That's due to the resolution of the images. I've resized them and it works. According to the dev twitter the coming update fixes these things

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
The new sync tools is now available. This allows higher res than the old one

if it crashes maybe its not the syncs problems its the app not being able to handle it, for all the CZ fan boys that talk crap about Cloud Readers, Cloud Readers never crashes on me.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I am sticking to Cloud Readers. The recent updates have made it bearable.

The progress bar on the list view allows me to see how far I was in the comic, and continue where I left off (once I find which comic it was that I was reading from nearly 300 in my list). Now if only they'd implement some kind of folder organization... No crashes etc, whatsoever.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
if it crashes maybe its not the syncs problems its the app not being able to handle it, for all the CZ fan boys that talk crap about Cloud Readers, Cloud Readers never crashes on me.

What the hell is wrong with you? How much did CR paid you for your crusade?
Why are you even calling people as fanboys. Cloud reader has it's own problems. The files which crashes in CZ won't even open in CR.
So which app is more stable?

Thing is, I don't even feel like reporting the bugs to the CR-devs, because the app itself is not worth it for me.

It's GUI is ugly, navigating is clunky, but worst of all READING is impossible for a lot of comics. The image quality is fuzzy AND the pages won't display in the right order.

Here's the one complicated page (highres, fine lines, small fonts) on cloud reader:
t8m9et.png

This is the same page on CZ
axy89h.png

Notice how CZ is much sharper? And how it's centered? (oh, and the page ordering isn't messed up)
Image quality: THAT's everything that counts on a comic app.

If I ever give an iPad-demonstration with CR, I'll bet Apple would lose a lot of customers "THAT's the superb IPS-screen? My netbook looks better than that!"

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Ah I was afraid I would have to reinstall. I've already transferred and processed about 8GBs. I've noticed that transferring over 300 chapters individually zipped is dial-up slow.

Thanks for the tip!

How are you transferring? You shouldn't use the C-sync tool. Just throw it in itunes transfer.

To have CZ autosort the files, the naming convention should be
"<series name> <number>.<extension>"
But even if you throw them in CZ unsorted, it's quite easy to sort them manually.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
It's GUI is ugly, navigating is clunky, but worst of all READING is impossible for a lot of comics. The image quality is fuzzy AND the pages won't display in the right order.

Here's the one complicated page (highres, fine lines, small fonts) on cloud reader:
<snip-snop>
This is the same page on CZ
<snip-snop>

Notice how CZ is much sharper? And how it's centered? (oh, and the page ordering isn't messed up)
Image quality: THAT's everything that counts on a comic app.

If I ever give an iPad-demonstration with CR, I'll bet Apple would lose a lot of customers "THAT's the superb IPS-screen? My netbook looks better than that!"

Wow! :eek: I hadn't tried CZ thinking the difference quality of images displayed would be negligible, but this side by side comparison is really astounding. CR looks rather, well, crap in comparison. Even though CR has been rock stable on my iPad, I need to try CZ post haste. Thanks for the post!

PS: I am still learning Dutch, which comic is that?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010

Can't you just go start your own cloud readers thread, or blog, or something? This stuff adds zero to the conversation.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Not that I have much to add, but I for one love CZ. One of the better purchases I've made for the IPad. Truly one of the apps that really shows how versatile the IPad is, and I get to read books that I otherwise wouldn't see with the other comic book apps.

MikeCase

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Melbourne, FL
How are you transferring? You shouldn't use the C-sync tool. Just throw it in itunes transfer.

To have CZ autosort the files, the naming convention should be
"<series name> <number>.<extension>"
But even if you throw them in CZ unsorted, it's quite easy to sort them manually.

Those transfers were made through iTunes and I also followed the naming convention and it had problems organizing a series called H2. H2 001.zip didn't auto organize with H2 002.zip all the way up to H2 338.zip.

A simple edit and organize was no problem but the couple hour transfer through iTunes was not fun.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Wow! :eek: I hadn't tried CZ thinking the difference quality of images displayed would be negligible, but this side by side comparison is really astounding. CR looks rather, well, crap in comparison. Even though CR has been rock stable on my iPad, I need to try CZ post haste. Thanks for the post!

PS: I am still learning Dutch, which comic is that?

Yes, I didn't noticed at first too. But then I decided to test out more apps and the difference was just too much.

It seems CR is using the wrong resizing filter. And if there's something that could kill a comicapp, that's bad image quality. (and yes, I did use the latest versions of both app to test)

That comic is Douwe Dabbert btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douwe_Dabbert

I chose that as a test because it's an EU-comic (meaning it's almost A4) and one with very fine lines and letters. The best to test an app-quality.

Those transfers were made through iTunes and I also followed the naming convention and it had problems organizing a series called H2. H2 001.zip didn't auto organize with H2 002.zip all the way up to H2 338.zip.

A simple edit and organize was no problem but the couple hour transfer through iTunes was not fun.

Apparantly, the newest version has been submitted to the appstore. So let's see what that brings us. (I think it's been less than three weeks since the devver got his ipad. And this would be the second release.)

http://twitter.com/bitolithic

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
To conclude everything. Here are the screenshots of other programs.

goodreader
nl69f6.png

ComicBookRreader
qplz7b.png

The difference in quality is less noticeable when the original images has a lower resolution. The first images were in the 3000px range. The following images are 1300x1700px.

comiczeal
25zplhe.png

CBR
x3a8f7.png

Goodreader pdf
2crowpk.png

goodreader jpg
1jvqzq.png

Cloudreader
2ypizo3.png

I guess CZ not only use the correct way to resize, but it also adds an unsharp mask and contrast enhancements on the images.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
yeah there paying me!

Yeah a developer thats giving a free product is paying me!
While most of the CZ4 people havent even used Cloud Readers.

About the way Comic readers display comics they should all display the image in high res, is one didnt it would be CZ4 because there version is an upgrade of there iphone and they used cbm a compressed form. Cloud Readers was built from the ground up for the ipad so it uses high res pictures.

A Cloud Readers comic screenshot.
Comic books should not be resized! IT deforms the image just like making a 16*9 to 4*3 crop.

s1pwuq.png

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah a developer thats giving a free product is paying me!
While most of the CZ4 people havent even used Cloud Readers.

So, as long as the product is free, you will defend it blindly? I've already shown that I've tested ALL existing comic book readers on the ipad.
CZ4, ComicReaderMobi, Meeep, Goodreader and yes, even cloudreader.

If cloudreaders is working for you, fine. But that doesn't mean that other apps can't be better.

About the way Comic readers display comics they should all display the image in high res, is one didnt it would be CZ4 because there version is an upgrade of there iphone and they used cbm a compressed form. Cloud Readers was built from the ground up for the ipad so it uses high res pictures.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. CZ4 is made for the ipad. It support the C-sync utility.
If you use he OLD C-synctool, which is indeed made for iphone, you will indeed get iphone (lowres and highly compressed) images.
But you don't need to use it. If you just transfer the comicfiles through itunes, the images will not be reprocessed.

The new C-sync can resize for the ipad too. Which is a valid option for those with less diskspace. There really is no need for 3k pixels images on the ipad.

A Cloud Readers comic screenshot.
Comic books should not be resized! IT deforms the image just like making a 16*9 to 4*3 crop.

You don't even know what you're talking about. Every image which has a too high resolution will be resized to fit he ipad screen of 1024x768. EVEN cloudreader
But there is NO devver who's stupid enough to resize the without the correct aspect ratio. The images will NOT be deformed!

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
So, as long as the product is free, you will defend it blindly? I've already shown that I've tested ALL existing comic book readers on the ipad.
CZ4, ComicReaderMobi, Meeep, Goodreader and yes, even cloudreader.

If cloudreaders is working for you, fine. But that doesn't mean that other apps can't be better.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. CZ4 is made for the ipad. It support the C-sync utility.
If you use he OLD C-synctool, which is indeed made for iphone, you will indeed get iphone (lowres and highly compressed) images.
But you don't need to use it. If you just transfer the comicfiles through itunes, the images will not be reprocessed.

The new C-sync can resize for the ipad too. Which is a valid option for those with less diskspace. There really is no need for 3k pixels images on the ipad.

You don't even know what you're talking about. Every image which has a too high resolution will be resized to fit he ipad screen of 1024x768. EVEN cloudreader
But there is NO devver who's stupid enough to resize the without the correct aspect ratio. The images will NOT be deformed!

Have i defended it blindly, have you even read what i posted, i have alot of bad comments on cloud readers. BUt you make seems CZ$ is by far the best when its not , it doesnt even have simple features or complex features the Banned Comic Reader Mobi had. For me there is no Comic book reader thats the best.

You dont know what your talking about, When Comic Zeal was made for the iPad the ui was changed to adapt and it had slow transfers, it crashed, did not even support itunes sync and there images where not high res and people like you still said it was better then Comic Reader Mobi!

One thing is resize it with the original aspect ratio!, but CZ does change the aspect ratio, for a comic book purist like a film buff purist no one should never mess with the aspect ratio.

Prove that CZ4 did not make the app from the ground up is that the Accelerometer LOCK is still in the app. Why do you need a Lock built in the program if you have the hardware lock. The lock was design for the iPhone that does not have one.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Have i defended it blindly, have you even read what i posted, i have alot of bad comments on cloud readers. BUt you make seems CZ$ is by far the best when its not , it doesnt even have simple features or complex features the Banned Comic Reader Mobi had. For me there is no Comic book reader thats the best.

For me, there are only 3 things that really counts for a comic app.
  1. It has to display the pages in the best quality.
  2. It has to be easy and fast to read through a comic.
  3. It has to be easy and fast to load another comic.

All other features are nice to have.

1) The screenshots proofs that CZ4 has the best image quality of all current readers
2) CZ4 browsing through pages is a clunky swipe at this version. But it's faster than CRM. And less clunky than cloudreaders, which scrolls too far ahead when there are landscape/portrait-pages mixed into the file and you have to scroll it back to fit the screen.
3) CZ4 has collection ordering just like CRM, but cloudreaders does not. So it's a win for CZ4 and CRM for me. CRM however, is slower to navigate through the files and has no preview.

These are reasons enough for me to favor CZ4. It's far from perfect, but it certainly has an advantage over other current comic readers.

You dont know what your talking about, When Comic Zeal was made for the iPad the ui was changed to adapt and it had slow transfers, it crashed, did not even support itunes sync and there images where not high res and people like you still said it was better then Comic Reader Mobi!

So? The first ipadversion was buggy? Like every other app out there. Diff is, they released debug-versions soon enough. And I compare the current version of apps.

The version I (and a lot of other buyers) got was the first bugfix release, which was released within 6 days after the ipad launch. And that one already had the itunes-transfer.

One thing is resize it with the original aspect ratio!, but CZ does change the aspect ratio, for a comic book purist like a film buff purist no one should never mess with the aspect ratio.

Well, I can say "no it doesn't". But the screenshots has already proven that CZ4 does not change the aspect ratio. See the borders at the left and the right?

And a "purist" you should opt for the app with the best image quality. Which is not cloudreaders. CZ4 is better, but not as good as the Marvel app itself, as that guarantees the best quality you can get.

Prove that CZ4 did not make the app from the ground up is that the Accelerometer LOCK is still in the app. Why do you need a Lock built in the program if you have the hardware lock. The lock was design for the iPhone that does not have one.

Why do you need to build a app from the ground up when you already have proven code to work with? Re-using code doesn't mean an app can't be made for ipad.
And the devvers didn't know that there was a hardware scroll lock when they got their beta-sdk. Goodreader has it too.
It doesn't hurt to leave it there either, makes it easier to let the app transcend to an universal app, which is in the roadmap of cz4.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
For me, there are only 3 things that really counts for a comic app.
  1. It has to display the pages in the best quality.
  2. It has to be easy and fast to read through a comic.
  3. It has to be easy and fast to load another comic.

All other features are nice to have.

1) The screenshots proofs that CZ4 has the best image quality of all current readers
2) CZ4 browsing through pages is a clunky swipe at this version. But it's faster than CRM. And less clunky than cloudreaders, which scrolls too far ahead when there are landscape/portrait-pages mixed into the file and you have to scroll it back to fit the screen.
3) CZ4 has collection ordering just like CRM, but cloudreaders does not. So it's a win for CZ4 and CRM for me. CRM however, is slower to navigate through the files and has no preview.

These are reasons enough for me to favor CZ4. It's far from perfect, but it certainly has an advantage over other current comic readers.

So? The first ipadversion was buggy? Like every other app out there. Diff is, they released debug-versions soon enough. And I compare the current version of apps.

The version I (and a lot of other buyers) got was the first bugfix release, which was released within 6 days after the ipad launch. And that one already had the itunes-transfer.

Well, I can say "no it doesn't". But the screenshots has already proven that CZ4 does not change the aspect ratio. See the borders at the left and the right?

Why do you need to build a app from the ground up when you already have proven code to work with? Re-using code doesn't mean an app can't be made for ipad.
And the devvers didn't know that there was a hardware scroll lock when they got their beta-sdk. Goodreader has it too.
It doesn't hurt to leave it there either, makes it easier to let the app transcend to an universal app, which is in the roadmap of cz4.

All i hear are excuses, i dont give excuses! if theres a problem with a app theres a problem. Read what i wrote, Cloud readers had problems
Large Jpegs would slow down the app.
Rars and Cbr's would not display right.
Arrange problems with Cbrs and Rars.
Some people dont like the True display ratio.
Some people dont like the Ui.
1.04 fixed 2 of those and 1.05 will fix 2 more.
Finding and fixing problems is good.

You bash on products and insult people.
There is not a single comment where i trash talk any app or insult.
Im not so attached to a App, i used to like Comic Reader Mobi.
Also your comments are all opinions! never have you shown a true point.
And lets stop this nonsense , dont want the forum with long threads of hate for apps.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I've cleaned up in this thread, and it will remain open as long as all participants can discuss their differences respectfully and remain on topic. If not, it will be closed.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I noticed lately that CloudReaders will not read CBZs I created. The culprit seems to be the Thumbnails that OSX creates. Does anyone know whether Comic Zeal handles this problem?

MikeCase

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I noticed lately that CloudReaders will not read CBZs I created. The culprit seems to be the Thumbnails that OSX creates. Does anyone know whether Comic Zeal handles this problem?

I haven't had any problems with the OSX zips I created. From what I know, CBZs are just ZIPs renamed right? If that's true, then you shouldn't have any problems with CZ

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I went with the Marvel app.

Magnificent app IMO

Extremely user friendly both in usage and in acquiring additional content.

I started off using it in the iPhone and bought comics thru there. Content transferred right over to the iPad (re-download)

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I went with the Marvel app.

Magnificent app IMO

Extremely user friendly both in usage and in acquiring additional content.

I started off using it in the iPhone and bought comics thru there. Content transferred right over to the iPad (re-download)

Are you able to get 'homebrew' comics into, e.g. cbr/cbz/pdf? If so could you be specific about the steps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.