Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonbong

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I have an iMac 20" 2.66 C2D and I have the same issue. Pretty disappointed it exists on the MBP's as well since I ordered one last week.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have an iMac 20" 2.66 C2D and I have the same issue. Pretty disappointed it exists on the MBP's as well since I ordered one last week.

The Porter Airline terminal in the Downtown Island airport has all 20" iMacs with windows on them.
I didn't try them out, but it's a shame that the headphone jack doesn't work on any of them from what I get on here. I wonder if passengers there have reported the issue to Porter or not.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Brand new MBP 13" 2.66 GHz...no sound out of the headphones in Windows 7 x64. Glad I found this thread! Let's keep an ear out until a solution is found.

Austin00

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I put a bug report page link in the first page.
If we all send in these reports, it will get sorted quicker.

ColorDelta

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Same issue here (MacBook Pro | 13.3" | Mid-2010 | Windows 7 64-bit). I've tested all the Cirrus Logic drivers I could find, but to no avail. Hopefully our bug reports will encourage Apple to make this a priority in the next Boot Camp update.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Did I understand correctly that those with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed were able to get their headphones working with the modified Cirrus Logic Windows XP driver at the Stuffed Cow website?

If so, I could revert back to the 32-bit version of Windows until a solution from Apple (if ever) is forthcoming. I don't necessarily need the microphone and could live without that feature for now.

Austin00

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Did I understand correctly that those with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed were able to get their headphones working with the modified Cirrus Logic Windows XP driver at the Stuffed Cow website?

If so, I could revert back to the 32-bit version of Windows until a solution from Apple (if ever) is forthcoming. I don't necessarily need the microphone and could live without that feature for now.

Nope, windows 7's isn't supported yet.
We shouldn't have to be flicking around on random websites to get drivers. Apple should provide them. Send a bug report

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Nope, windows 7's isn't supported yet.
We shouldn't have to be flicking around on random websites to get drivers. Apple should provide them. Send a bug report

I agree and have sent out a report...but I'm afraid we may be forced to find our own solution before we hear from Apple support.

ColorDelta

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Strength in numbers is our best bet right now, so the more bug reports the better :)

By the way, since most of you seem to have the latest 13.3" MacBook Pro with a single combined TOSLink for audio, I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the best solution for headsets that require separate line-out/microphone jacks? Is an iMic the best option?

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I've just performed a clean installation of Windows 7 x86 and have audio out of the headphones, albeit unreliably. I simply followed the instructions in the Apple Forums thread concerning this issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2037093&start=465&tstart=0

Here someone posted instructions on how to modify the BootCamp Cirrus audio drivers with a CirrusAudio.10.6.1.zip file that was uploaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmfmjhtjy0i

Guide to Working Audio Drivers in Windows 7 32 bit(may work in other Windows Operating Systems)

1. Download http://www.sussex.tec.nj.us/files/CirrusAudio.10.6.1.zip and extract the CirrusAudio.10.6.1 folder. Now find the appropriate driver, in my case it was "CirrusAudioVista32.exe" and use a file extraction tool like WinRar to extract the files from the executable.

2. Find your Snow Leopard DVD, put it into your DVD drive and from windows explorer, explore or open the DVD. Now open the Boot Camp folder and then the Drivers folder. Now find the Cirrus folder, and copy the appropriate driver to your desktop. Again use a file extraction tool like WinRar to extract the files from the executable.

3. Now open the Second CirrusAudioVista32 folder created in Step 2, find the file named "CirrusAPO_x86.dll" and copy this file. Now open the First CirrusAudioVista32 folder created in Step 1 and paste the "CirrusAPO_x86.dll" over the existing (replace) file.

4. Now if you have not uninstalled the previous version of the driver, open the control panel and uninstall the Cirrus Logic, Inc driver and reboot.

5. Once your computer has restarted, open the First CirrusAudioVista32 folder created in Step 1 and double click the DPInst.exe, and your new driver will install.

The original link was dead but I found the .zip file by Googling. I followed the instructions using the Boot Camp drivers provided with the Mac OS X installation DVD.

Headphones are now functioning, but upon restarting the driver sometimes fails to load and needs to be troubleshooted.

Not an ideal solution, but for the time being I'll live with it.

The Windows XP drivers provided at the following site also worked:

http://www.stuffedcow.net/macbook_audio

But the audio quality was poor and only one audio output is recognized (speaker), regardless of whether or not the headphones are inserted.

Here's the modified CirrusAudioVista32.exe file I created using the above procedure. Just remove the .zip extension and replace the file in the BootCamp drivers folder (\Cirrus).

Attachments

• CirrusAudioVista32.exe.zip
    694.1 KB · Views: 1,730

ColorDelta

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
You, my friend, deserve a medal :)

External speakers *and* headphones now work flawlessly in Windows 7 64-bit, luckily without the restarting issue you mentioned.

The driver version that works is 6.6001.1.13 (I had to pick it manually as Windows kept insisting on using 6.6001.1.21) and the unsigned CirrusAPO_x64.dll is version 1.0.1.11 (Built by: WinDDK).

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
You, my friend, deserve a medal :)

External speakers *and* headphones now work flawlessly in Windows 7 64-bit, luckily without the restarting issue you mentioned.

The driver version that works is 6.6001.1.13 (I had to pick it manually as Windows kept insisting on using 6.6001.1.21) and the unsigned CirrusAPO_x64.dll is version 1.0.1.11 (Built by: WinDDK).

I'd like to go back to 64-bit now since your driver is working...here's the modified CirrusAudioVista64.exe (with a .zip extension) for anyone who may want to use it. Great to hear we have a solution while awaiting an official Apple driver!

Attachments

• CirrusAudioVista64.exe.zip
    713 KB · Views: 7,398

ColorDelta

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Sounds like a plan :)

Let me know if it works for you.

Here's the configuration of the MacBook that I got to work:
MacBook Pro 13.3" | Mid-2010 | OSX 10.6.3 | Windows 7 64-bit | 2.4GHz | Nvidia 320M | 4GB Ram | 500GB HD

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Sounds like a plan :)

Let me know if it works for you.

Here's the configuration of the MacBook that I got to work:
MacBook Pro 13.3" | Mid-2010 | OSX 10.6.3 | Windows 7 64-bit | 2.4GHz | Nvidia 320M | 4GB Ram | 500GB HD

Just finished a clean installation of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate after replacing the CirrusAudioVista64.exe in the BootCamp Driver folder with the modified executable. Got the usual warning that the driver wasn't certified but it's working just fine. Very little static in the headphones. I haven't tested the microphone, though, since I never use it.

For anyone considering Windows 7 x86 vs. x64, I highly recommend 64-bit if you have 4 GB or more of RAM. The system feels much snappier and is rock solid as opposed to 32-bit, which can only use 2.74 GB of the available RAM.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
This is definitely a good thing!
I'm getting my MBP 13" in 4 days!! Can't wait! Will be sure to apply this fix.

Thanks for whoever that came up with this!! Ur a genius!

thelibrarypunk

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
My Specs:
updated model 13 Inch Macbook Pro Aluminum Unibody, purchased May 2010
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium via Bootcamp

The 64-bit driver provided by ssn637 in post #41 of this thread worked perfectly for me, thank you. After creating a restore point, I removed the bootcamp-provided driver in the device manager and installed the new one. After the install, my sound was still completely dead, but one reboot later and the driver was up and running properly. I now have PERFECT sound from both headphones and internal speakers with no conflicts between the two. Haven't tried my internal mic yet, but no big loss if it's disabled.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and help; I just about cried when I slipped on my Sennheisers to play L4D2 and heard nothing. This definitely made my day.

aldoomid

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
DPInst doesn't work!

I use Windows 7 64-bit. I have accurately followed the steps till the final step where you have to run DPInst application. The problem is that this app doesn't work under my OS. I receive a message that this program cannot be launched under my OS.

What might be the problem? Since some people here have tried this fix, and it worked perfectly for them, I have no idea what is going wrong.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have installed Windows 7 Enterprise (64-Bit) via Boot Camp and I have sound in my headphones, no issues at all...

Arie I think this issue is only with 2010 13" MacBook Pros...

Got mine yesterday. Installed Win7 on it using Bootcamp. Yeah the headphones don't work. Gonna have to install the patch....

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Yup i got an April 2010 13" MBP 2.4GHz and same issue as everyone else. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and no sound out of the headphones. Found this thread after I already installed Bootcamp and everything so didn't get a chance to "slipstream" the 64-bit driver provided by ssn637 in post #41. I just went to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Program and uninstalled the stock bootcamp cirruslogic audio driver. Rebooted, installed the 64bit driver from ssn637, rebooted, and now I get sound out of the headphone ports! (proper switching between headphone + built-in speakers when I plug/unplug headphones). Thanks ssn637! I submitted a bug report to Apple but will just use this "workaround" for now.

PercyHanna

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
I'm having problems with my headphone jack on my MBP i7, but not even using Windows. When I first plug in the headphones, and start playing music, I hear nothing. I have to unplug them, plug them back in again, or turn the volume off and then on again.

Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.