Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Just got my new iPad!!! I have a jail broke iPhone running mywi. On avg a streaming video from netflix uses 1.8 GB of data.

I'm wondering if I'll get into any "trouble" with AT&T for using that much data through my iPhone. Anyone have any exp with that or have any opinions?

I know with my cell phone contract I have "unlimited" data. But obviously they didn't plan on it being used this way.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
A) Your iphone's battery wont last for the whole movie when using MyWi.

B) I doubt you get enough bandwidth over 3g to stream a netflix movie, but I could be wrong on this one...

waltermitty

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010

B) I doubt you get enough bandwidth over 3g to stream a netflix movie, but I could be wrong on this one...

I was on vacation this week and streamed netflix from my tethered iPhone with great results. My download speed was up to 200kbps and the video quality was flawless. It was actually twice as fast as the hotel's wifi, which would stop to buffer in netflix. I kept my phone plugged into the charger the entire time, but I used at least 3gb of data.

dimebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010

Sorry meant to add that I'm using from a location where my iPhone can be plugged into a wall.

I tested a movie for a few mins and no problems regarding the bandwidth.

My question is will AT&T come down on us that are using our iPhones in this manner? I would think we would be ok since we are supposed to have a tethering feature with the 3GS.

tyrone7000

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Louisiana
Just got my new iPad!!! I have a jail broke iPhone running mywi. On avg a streaming video from netflix uses 1.8 GB of data.

I'm wondering if I'll get into any "trouble" with AT&T for using that much data through my iPhone. Anyone have any exp with that or have any opinions?

I know with my cell phone contract I have "unlimited" data. But obviously they didn't plan on it being used this way.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have been doing this a while before my ipad came along with mynetbook. I have used over 14GB some months, with no notices from AT&T.

waltermitty

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
The whole experience made me laugh at the concept of a two hundred and fifty megabyte a month data plan.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I tested a movie for a few mins and no problems regarding the bandwidth.

My question is will AT&T come down on us that are using our iPhones in this manner? I would think we would be ok since we are supposed to have a tethering feature with the 3GS.

It's fairly simple. You're not "supposed" to have tethering. Your agreement with AT&T specifically reinforces that. Will AT&T do anything about it? It's unlikely. Could they? If they chose to, yes--and they would be within their rights.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
- I've streamed Netflix over iPhone 3GS w/ MyWi with good results

- I doubt you'll use much more data than anyone who uses video streaming applications on the iPhone, such as Slingplayer, TVants, YouTube, AirVideo, Justin.tv, Ustream... etc.

YMMV

claygill

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I've also had a good experience streaming Netflix on my iPad using MyWi/iPhone. Same goes for Slingplayer, AirVideo, Simplify Media, LogMein, you name it.
Netflix streams are usually around 1.8G and AirVideo converted movies 900M. I use around 12gb of data a month with no problems.

MacDanielG

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
FLA
Don't sweat it.... I use way more than that watching movies from my phone without tethering and I haven't heard anything. And I mean I use wayyyyyyyy more than 1.8

Run23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
You should be fine. I've been streaming movies over my iPhone forma while with no issues from AT&T.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I can't get netflix or abc to run when I'm trying to use mywi. Is there anything special I forgot to do?! eta: I can check email, search the web, and play most games while on mywi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.