Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
So after following a similar thread about a year ago for my 13" MPB, I thought I'd start a similar one to get a feel of the type of panels Apple are putting in the 15" 2010 MPBs.

My i5 15" delivered today has a:

HR Anti-Glare
9CBB
LP154WE3-TLB1
LG-Philips

This appears to be the first mention of a 9CBB panel so far on the forums. Only has the "yellow-tint issue" in so far as I would expect a TN panel to have (with limited vertical viewing angle), ie, not really a problem for me.

If you are wondering how to check the panel you can do two things:

1. System Preferences > Displays > Color > Color LCD > Open Profile > Line 17 (under "Model")

2. Issue the following command at a terminal:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Edit:

So thus far we have:

High Resolution:

9CB7
LTN154MT07
Samsung
Anti-Glare

9CB6
LTN154MT07
Samsung
Glossy

9CBB
LP154WE3-TLB1
LG-Philips
Anti-Glare

9CBA
Glossy?

Standard Resolution:

9CA4
LTN154BT08
Samsung

9CA3
LP154WP4-TLA1
LG-Phillips

Edit: So I said mine didn't have a yellow tint issue. However, after letting the screen warm-up a bit and then using it in a slightly darkened room (ie, at night) it definitely suffers from a hue change towards the bottom 1/3 of the screen.

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
00009CB7
LTN154MT07

not the best lcd, but ok. can't really get a mac with a better one..

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
if all mine says is 9CB6. I don't see a "LTNxxxxxx number. How do i tell who the manufacture is and how good of a panel it is compared to you who have listed? Are they all really so different?

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I have a new 17" and had access to another new 17" and a new 15". All are glossy.

The 17" screen I have is very fine, and better than the other 17" which had a clear magenta cast. It is also far preferable to the 15" (hi-res) which had a strong blue tint at lower right and uneven lighting from left to right (brighter on the left). My own 17" is undoubtedly the best of the three, with nice even lighting.

Also, my 17" uses a Matsushita disc drive and it operates MUCH more quietly than the drive in the other two (LG) which are particularly loud in operation.

I've noticed no difference between the standard (5400) 17" HD's, with the Hitachi in mine being equally as silent as the Seagate in the other 17". However, I did detect a fair amount of operating sounds from the 15" that uses a WD drive.

I'm delighted with my 17", but would be somewhat less happy with the others I've laid hands on. There is a clear difference between them.

My screen is listed as a 9CCD.

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
if all mine says is 9CB6. I don't see a "LTNxxxxxx number. How do i tell who the manufacture is and how good of a panel it is compared to you who have listed? Are they all really so different?

Have a look at point number 2 in my OP.

lyngstad

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
iMac 27" i7 and MacBook Pro 15,4" i7... almost the same number..

Display models;

iMac 27" i7 (2560x1440) - Model: "9CB5"
MacBook Pro 15" i7 (1680x1050) - Model: "9CB6" (LTN154MT07)

But how do I find the manufacturer? I think these models seems like Apple's internal product serial numbers.. Or do you think its actually the exact same manufacturer and the next model they released in their stock? Hmm..

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Display models;

iMac 27" i7 (2560x1440) - Model: "9CB5"
MacBook Pro 15" i7 (1680x1050) - Model: "9CB6" (LTN154MT07)

But how do I find the manufacturer? I think these models seems like Apple's internal product serial numbers.. Or do you think its actually the exact same manufacturer and the next model they released in their stock? Hmm..

Just google the panel model.

LTN154MT07 is a Samsung panel.

Oktagon

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
I have the LP154WE3-TLB1 panel with 9CBB listed as the model.

I'm not very happy with this screen, the vertical viewing angle is terrible, with large colour shifts as you rotate the screen. I also get a bright fringe at the bottom of the screen when the machine heats up.

Try viewing the following test images and rotating the screen vertically.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

On my screen the colours change in hue quite dramatically.

In fact, I get such strong white->purple shifts that a white screen causes the laptop keyboard to be lit bright purple.

I have the 15" HR AG.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mine has a 9CA3, and its good.
A slight hint of blue, I've tried to calibrated it a few times, but it always ends a bit bluer than my Eizo, it's looking great tho, but a bit over saturated.

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
And which one is better? Samsung, LG or something else?
Is the manufacturer related with the "yellow tint" issue?

No idea really. Just trying to get a feel for what is out there.

Edit: Can you guys post what screen you've got? IE, HR Anti-glare, glossy, etc.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This thread is pretty pointless if you don't post what type of screen you ordered (i.e. standard or high resolution). Doesn't matter if it's matte or glossy, because the LCD panel itself isn't affected by the screen surface.

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Mine has a 9CA3, and its good.
A slight hint of blue, I've tried to calibrated it a few times, but it always ends a bit bluer than my Eizo, it's looking great tho, but a bit over saturated.

I'm assuming yours is a standard resolution screen?

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
HR Anti-Glare
9CBB
LP154WE3-TLB1
LG-Philips

not particularly impressed :-s poor vertical viewing angles - seems worse than the samsung that Anatech tested

The brightness is not great either - just about enough in office setting, but only just (full brightness, no autodim)

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
15" Hi-res antiglare

9CB7
LTN154MT07 -Samsung (same one as Anandtech reviewed)

Screen is beautiful. Don't notice a yellow tint at all. Very minor color shifts at extremely wide viewing angles, but that's to be expected.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
15" Hi-res antiglare

9CB7
LTN154MT07 -Samsung (same one as Anandtech reviewed)

Screen is beautiful. Don't notice a yellow tint at all. Very minor color shifts at extremely wide viewing angles, but that's to be expected.

Same here. Best screen I've ever had on a notebook.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
9CA4, standard res, very good quality! I'm usually very picky about displays (my previous MB Rev E was awful). This 9CA4 is a good one finally.

MicDK

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
Denmark
9CB6 for me aswell. High-Res glossy. Beautiful screen - haven't noticed any sign of a tint or anything. Love it!

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
I am familiar with panel lotteries, but I don't think this thread should be titled 'panel lottery' until it is determined that problems can be isolated to specific part numbers.

Azazul

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
9CB6 for me as well in a HR glossy. Kickass screen, totally wipes my old Dell XPS LED.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
9CB7 (HR, Matte). No colour problems, dead or stuck pixels. Beautiful from straight on, viewing angles not bad for an STN display.

Jof

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
HR, AG
9CB7
LTN154MT07
Samsung

Yellow tint: no
Dead Pixels: no
Backlight bleed: normal for a MBP (i.e. not great)
Viewing angle: normal for a MBP (i.e. not great)
General remarks: over-saturated - impossible to remove slight magenta tint with calibration (unlike my 5,1 with a 9C85)... but most of the new MBPs regardless of screen seem to have this, IMO. It is, however, an extremely vivid and powerful screen. Except the magenta hugh it's probably the 1st or 2nd best laptop screen I've had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.