Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13, 2010, 06:59 AM   #76
One Love 1867
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK
Valve are treating Mac as a Tier 1 platform. Steam has been available for less than 24 hours on that platform.

Yes there will be bugs and glitches, but yes they will be fixed.

I think some people need to grasp some perspective. Steam might not be perfect in it's current guise, but for the first time on Mac it is here, and Valve have made a firm commitment to support it as much as they support their other platforms. This is still a massive step forward.

Heck, they're even giving us one of the most critically acclaimed titles in their catalogue for free!

As a Mac and a Playstation 3 owner, I'm delighted we've finally got Steam at all! Personally, I'm willing to be patient with them over it.
__________________
Mac mini: 2GHz|4GB RAM|1TB External HDD
iPad WiFi 16GB
iPhone 3G
One Love 1867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:02 AM   #77
REM314
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodom View Post
So far Im not impressed. The games included with it on launch were a joke except for tourchlight and Portal. Where in the holy hell is L4D, L4D II, KF, HL and TF?!?!!? Valves own games no less!! What about Steamplay!??! I have these games on windoze steam already....they are the only reason I dual boot windows. It's like a cruel joke, they delayed it for nothing, only to deliver this client with 2 playable games!!! Valve pisses me off so much they lie all the time with every announcement they make. All valves game will be available at launch.....Steam and it's library will be available in april....the list goes on, they are so full of ****. Valve are either good at full of **** statements or are lazier than a cut buck....

Get some good games on steam QUICK and stop ******** around with mac users.

When I launched it and logged in the following occured:

Killing Floor appeared as a playable game, started to download then vanished. Portal began to download and stopped, not it wont resume or do anything. Tourch Light I haven't tried yet and the rest are a joke...something you would buy in a 5 dollar value pack from wal-mart. Steam also crashed on me like 7 times.
Holy rage and entitlement. It's the first day of something that's never been attempted before calm down. Mac Users shouldn't immediately expect that these games are going to run smoothly on their macs when Apple computers are far far far from sophisticated gaming machines. Macs are great for everything else just not gaming.
REM314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:10 AM   #78
Stepint0sh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjones View Post
Running at 30fps with dips to 26 fps on these settings:

Thumb resize.

Just on training level at mo, I can more than likely expect heavy drops in actions scenes. Maybe more tweaking to be done.
Disable vertical sync, that will save you a lot of FPS.
__________________
~Step ; 2.66 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD Unibody MacBook Pro w/Matte Display & 1.83 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD Mac Mini & 2.83 GHz C2Q, 8 GB RAM, 2.16 TB HDDs Hackint0sh

Last edited by kainjow; May 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: timg
Stepint0sh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:13 AM   #79
G-Force
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Well, I don't really like the interface but I only see it for short times just to launch my games. It's not like my webbrowser, which I use for several hours a day. It is a little buggy, but it will get fixed. What I absolutely don't like is that it stores all it's crap in the Documents folder. The Documents folder is for user created files, NOT for "Application Support" files. Use the (~)/Library/Application Support folder for that Valve!
G-Force is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:21 AM   #80
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
I've seen sluggish Steam Window servers to. I'm sure there is a surge of activity bogging things down.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:29 AM   #81
amadeus3000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
What I absolutely don't like is that it stores all it's crap in the Documents folder. The Documents folder is for user created files, NOT for "Application Support" files. Use the (~)/Library/Application Support folder for that Valve!
This. That's the Windows spirit behind it. Hate it too. What can we do? Ask Valve nicely.
amadeus3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 07:51 AM   #82
misterwebmaster
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Does Steam directly download into the documents folder, or is there a download directory? Time Machine is churning like a demon during the downloads, and while I don'e want to exclude the program files, I would like to exclude the downloads from being backed up during the download.
misterwebmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 08:34 AM   #83
gatepc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Send a message via Skype™ to gatepc
I love it but I am hoping for improvements. The performance is the only thing I am complaining about. For example there is NO reason I should not be able to totally max out portal at 1920x1200 the GT 330m GPU scores higher then the desktop 8600GT on 3dmark and I can max out portal at 1920x1200 on an 8600gt ( on windows ) but when I try that with a GT 330m I have to lower the res and some of the settings to 1600x1000 and it still stutters here and there. Thats crazy ether apple needs to fix there video drivers or steam needs to optimize this stuff... however besides that I absolutely love it and have already purchased a few games I understand that the software is new to the mac platform and so I am expecting them to fix these problems eventually.
__________________
15" MBP i7 2010 & 24" ACD Photographs Anime
gatepc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 09:23 AM   #84
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040
 
ViViDboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Running great for me on a Late '09 21.5" iMac with the ATI videocard. I'm running at default setting and Native resolution.

As for Steam UI not being remotely native... It never has been. When you run Steam for Windows it's not even remotely native either. Just wait for someone to make a native looking skin.
__________________
iMac 21" Late '09 8GB iPhone3G Jailbroken MacbookPro iPod v5.5, Ubuntu x64 tower & EeePC 900, Lenovo T400
WinMatrix Profile | UbuntuForums Profile | XDA Forums
ViViDboarder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 11:21 AM   #85
rbarris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Irvine CA
Send a message via AIM to rbarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatepc View Post
I love it but I am hoping for improvements. The performance is the only thing I am complaining about. For example there is NO reason I should not be able to totally max out portal at 1920x1200 the GT 330m GPU scores higher then the desktop 8600GT on 3dmark and I can max out portal at 1920x1200 on an 8600gt ( on windows ) but when I try that with a GT 330m I have to lower the res and some of the settings to 1600x1000 and it still stutters here and there. Thats crazy ether apple needs to fix there video drivers or steam needs to optimize this stuff... however besides that I absolutely love it and have already purchased a few games I understand that the software is new to the mac platform and so I am expecting them to fix these problems eventually.
Come visit the new Mac forums on steampowered.com - players there have been looking at the first release and tweaking out settings.

One good thread to look at there:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1266144

Steam / Mac forum home URL:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=890
__________________
rbarris "at" gmail.com
rbarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 11:26 AM   #86
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
I'm not disappointed. Not one bit. It's saved me loads of hard disk space, and soon I'll have the power of TF2 on my hands.

It can only get better, and I think this is a damn good start.
__________________
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:20 PM   #87
Krevnik
macrumors 68020
 
Krevnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
Well, I don't really like the interface but I only see it for short times just to launch my games. It's not like my webbrowser, which I use for several hours a day. It is a little buggy, but it will get fixed. What I absolutely don't like is that it stores all it's crap in the Documents folder. The Documents folder is for user created files, NOT for "Application Support" files. Use the (~)/Library/Application Support folder for that Valve!
Used to be worse, it used to store it at the root of your boot drive!
__________________
iMac 2013 27", 13" rMBP, iPad 4, iPhone 5s
Krevnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:50 PM   #88
G-Force
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
That is even worse, both are not-done. This is one of the reasons I don't use Microsoft software because they always put that damn Microsoft User Data folder in MY Documents folder.

Here is a nice read for Valve and Microsoft -- "Don’t Pollute User Space":
http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...01411-BAJHCHJI

Also.. the icon is too big, another nice read:
http://www.artofadambetts.com/weblog/?p=105

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we have Steam now. I can't wait to play Left 4 Dead (2) on my Mac. But the above points should be fixed in the future to make this app even better than it already is if you ask me.

Last edited by G-Force; May 13, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
G-Force is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:52 PM   #89
Sodom
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM314 View Post
Holy rage and entitlement. It's the first day of something that's never been attempted before calm down. Mac Users shouldn't immediately expect that these games are going to run smoothly on their macs when Apple computers are far far far from sophisticated gaming machines. Macs are great for everything else just not gaming.
Neither are PC's...DUH.

Im just sick to death of valve making statements that are 99% of the time full of **** statements. As a customer I expect if valve releases a statement saying "Steam and all of valves games available on mac in April" they should be available in April. If they say valves games available at May 12th launch...I expect that not one valve "game" at launch, and not even one of the games mac users what steam for mac for in the first place.

So yes, Im a little pissed off at valves trademark lack of commitment to it's following and valve time ********. I have an easy way to eliminate valve time: Not going to make deadlines....don't make full of **** statements to begin with.
Sodom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:55 PM   #90
Sodom
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
anyone know when steamplay will actually be functional with games you would actually buy like Killing floor, L4D, L4D II, TF, Half Life.???
Sodom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 01:00 PM   #91
rbarris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Irvine CA
Send a message via AIM to rbarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodom View Post
anyone know when steamplay will actually be functional with games you would actually buy like Killing floor, L4D, L4D II, TF, Half Life.???
TF2 will ship on a Wednesday, as will the other Source games.
__________________
rbarris "at" gmail.com
rbarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 01:04 PM   #92
REM314
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodom View Post
Neither are PC's...DUH.

Im just sick to death of valve making statements that are 99% of the time full of **** statements. As a customer I expect if valve releases a statement saying "Steam and all of valves games available on mac in April" they should be available in April. If they say valves games available at May 12th launch...I expect that not one valve "game" at launch, and not even one of the games mac users what steam for mac for in the first place.

So yes, Im a little pissed off at valves trademark lack of commitment to it's following and valve time ********. I have an easy way to eliminate valve time: Not going to make deadlines....don't make full of **** statements to begin with.

Well things happen I suppose. It's either them having to not fulfill what they originally promise. Or go blizzards route and just not say anything until very close to the date or even apples way of just not saying anything whatsoever. Personally I don't know which i prefer. I can say one thing, apples secrecy has made me not buy their products on a few occasions where I would buy an apple product but not know if they'll put out what I want so I buy the other product. Bothers me beyond measure.
REM314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 02:01 PM   #93
Krevnik
macrumors 68020
 
Krevnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
That is even worse, both are not-done. This is one of the reasons I don't use Microsoft software because they always put that damn Microsoft User Data folder in MY Documents folder.

Here is a nice read for Valve and Microsoft -- "Donít Pollute User Space":
http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...01411-BAJHCHJI
I'm not disagreeing that the Documents folder isn't any better... but it isn't quite so cut and dry either.

I consider polluting the system space even worse than user space. At least in the context of putting it in ~/Documents/Steam versus / is that the user knows what can be cleaned up in ~/Documents/Steam. Even if it isn't where it should go. Trying to clean up 5+GB of crap out of '/' when it isn't even in a folder is a bit of a nightmare.

Also, we aren't talking about an app with an uninstaller, or that only keeps around a few MB of resources that get installed. We are talking on the order of 5GB for Portal + Source. If you don't offer the user a good way to access and delete this folder when they go to uninstall your app, you've polluted the file structure in a way that isn't obvious to the end user.

I'll take obvious pollution to a 5GB folder hiding somewhere that a normal user will have difficulty finding if they aren't using something like AppZapper (if that still exists). There needs to be a better solution to handling large caches and application support folders, which currently doesn't exist. Apple isn't providing it, and their guidelines are only really useful to a point when it doesn't offer guidance on how to handle these disk space hogs.

Neither putting put in ~/Library or ~/Documents is ideal, IMO. At least with the way the OS currently works, lacking an uninstall mechanism anyways. I suppose Steam could throw in an uninstall.pkg though.
__________________
iMac 2013 27", 13" rMBP, iPad 4, iPhone 5s
Krevnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 02:09 PM   #94
G-Force
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
You can delete games from within Steam, so I don't see this as a big problem to be honest. Disadvantage is that you need to remove the games from within Steam first before you can trash Steam.app. I'd rather do this than have the Steam Content folder polluting my Documents folder.
G-Force is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 02:13 PM   #95
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
The option to store Steam Games in a folder of the user's choice would be nice.
__________________
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 02:34 PM   #96
Krevnik
macrumors 68020
 
Krevnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
You can delete games from within Steam, so I don't see this as a big problem to be honest. Disadvantage is that you need to remove the games from within Steam first before you can trash Steam.app. I'd rather do this than have the Steam Content folder polluting my Documents folder.
You can, but again, it isn't ideal because not every user is gonna think to delete everything before deleting the .app. It has the same flaws as putting the folder in ~/Library. You can completely miss the extra steps beyond "Trash the .app" that users have been conditioned to do with OS X.
__________________
iMac 2013 27", 13" rMBP, iPad 4, iPhone 5s
Krevnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 02:53 PM   #97
knweiss
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
Here is a nice read for Valve and Microsoft -- "Donít Pollute User Space":
http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...01411-BAJHCHJI
I agree with this rule. But don't GarageBand and iTunes also pollute the user's "Music" folder and don't iChat, iPhoto and Photo Booth pollute the "Pictures" folder?
__________________
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro 13", iPad Air, iPhone 4S
knweiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 03:00 PM   #98
Krevnik
macrumors 68020
 
Krevnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by knweiss View Post
I agree with this rule. But don't GarageBand and iTunes also pollute the user's "Music" folder and don't iChat, iPhoto and Photo Booth pollute the "Pictures" folder?
With user data. I add an MP3 to iTunes, it puts it in Music. I add a Photo to iPhoto, and it puts it in Photos. What it doesn't do is put Application Support files like fonts, images, iDVD templates, etc into those locations.

iChat is very likely borderline on this policy though. It's avatar icons are clearly Application Support, so they are stored there, but they still spit that alias (which you can delete freely it seems).
__________________
iMac 2013 27", 13" rMBP, iPad 4, iPhone 5s
Krevnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 03:08 PM   #99
peskaa
macrumors 68020
 
peskaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by knweiss View Post
I agree with this rule. But don't GarageBand and iTunes also pollute the user's "Music" folder and don't iChat, iPhoto and Photo Booth pollute the "Pictures" folder?
With iTunes you can point the Music folder to wherever you want it.
__________________
rMBP 15"(2012) 2.3 i7 | 16GB | 256GB | 650M
iMac 27"(2011) 3.1 i5 | 8GB | 1TB | 6970M
DS211j 2x2TB
peskaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 03:45 PM   #100
cheetahxt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I'm happy they've released it, but there will need to be many updates in the future.
Like somebody on the first page said... the design doesn't look like the usual OS X application yet.
__________________
My Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2010)

flickr - my Flickr Photostream
cheetahxt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time Mac buyer - so disappointed - wifi issues ZoomOut MacBook Pro 22 Jan 14, 2014 04:15 AM
OS X: Nancy Drew games on Steam / Steam support issues mollyparrot Mac and PC Games 0 Jul 25, 2013 09:49 PM
OS X: Steam Mac Borderlands 2 - DLC for Mac too? Dirtyharry50 Mac and PC Games 4 Jul 15, 2013 09:47 AM
Very disappointed from new Mac Mini 2012 Woyzeck Mac mini 58 Jan 24, 2013 12:59 PM
Will anyone else be disappointed if the new mac pro doesn't offer nvidia? fox10078 Mac Pro 26 Jun 5, 2012 11:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC