Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clarkee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Please excuse this post if its in the wrong place, i did a search for PS3 and several posts where here.

Ive taken the 2.5" 80 GB HDD out of my PS3 and i want to copy it on to a new 250GB HDD, my normal way of copying or duplicating a HDD using SuperDuper doesnt work because of the format of the PS3 drive.

Ive tried creating a disk image in disc utilty, as SuperDuper will see the disc image and copy it across, but disc utility keeps giving me an error message after a while.

I have tried the usual ways to update my PS3, but for some reason it will not work. I am not a complete novice to copying and replacing HDDs on a mac , but ive never dealt with one formatted to FAT 32.

Is there any pieces of software that will allow me to copy the FAT 32 PS3 HDD to a new HDD on the mac???

Thanks in advance.

clarkee.

thetruth1983

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
I'm almost positive that the ps3 has a utility that let's you copy everything from the internal drive to a connected external drive. Look in the ps3 backup settings.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
If you put the drive back in you can use the built-in PS3 utility to back it up to a USB drive (but not a Mac partition). Then after installing the new drive you use the same utility to restore everything.

I've done it several times. Works well and is easy-peasy.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
The PS3 uses encryption.
Copying the drive in any other way but the PS3 backup is useless.
If you pull out your drive and put it in another PS3, it wouldn't recognize it and ask to format.

clarkee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I ended up doing it the traditional way, back up using ps3 utility, swap hdd, update software with memory stick and off you go.

I just tonight there maybe a way to duplicate the hdd using the Mac, but obviously not.

Thanks for your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.