Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chew

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Hi there,

I bought Torchlight the day it was released and played it a while. Then, it lay untouched on my harddisc until Steam came out for Mac. I added my Torchlight key to Steam and downloaded the game on Mac as well as on my PC. On my PC, there are my old savegames present, on my Mac everything goes from scratch.

As far as I know, Steam stores savegames in this "Steam Cloud". But it doesn't seem I could access the savegames of my PC from Mac or visa versa.

Have I to configure something? Could it be that the presence of local savegames on my PC deactivated the cloud saving? Any ideas? It'd be cool to share my savegames between PC and Mac through the cloud.

Thanks!

Metalmorphed

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
Hi there,

I bought Torchlight the day it was released and played it a while. Then, it lay untouched on my harddisc until Steam came out for Mac. I added my Torchlight key to Steam and downloaded the game on Mac as well as on my PC. On my PC, there are my old savegames present, on my Mac everything goes from scratch.

As far as I know, Steam stores savegames in this "Steam Cloud". But it doesn't seem I could access the savegames of my PC from Mac or visa versa.

Have I to configure something? Could it be that the presence of local savegames on my PC deactivated the cloud saving? Any ideas? It'd be cool to share my savegames between PC and Mac through the cloud.

Thanks!

This is not possible. You can share pc saves with with saves (though pc to pc or mac to mac does work). This isn't a steam cloud problem, it's a problem with Torchlight, since their save system is different in mac and pc.

Note on SteamCloud support – the Mac version DOES support SteamCloud, however our implementation of that is not cross platform. i.e. you can migrate your saves from PC to PC, and Mac to Mac, and they won’t collide with one another, but your PC saves will not migrate to Mac and vice-versa. Our saves ( and all the other compressed files associated with them when using mods ) are not cross-platform, and we would have had to have thought of that a lot earlier to make it happen. This isn’t a limitation of Steam, it’s just how we initially wrote the game.

It will not overwrite saves – they will pass each other by. You won’t have to worry about erasing the other platform’s games.
(http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/576)

Slux

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
If you just want to copy your save games from PC to Mac, you can do that (see my post in this thread).

If you want to genuinely share your savegames between the two computers I think you're out of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.