Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Sorry if this sounds a little stupid but this is my first macbook. Selling it tonight to fund a new i7 MBP ( own a C2D now )

Was curious of a few things....

1) How do i format it so its a fresh install of OSX and ALL my info is GONE? ( i never really looked in the box when i got it, so i am not sure if they come with a OSX CD or if its on a partition or if you do it another way? i am use to windows.

2) how long does the clean install normally take? Reason i ask is because i do not want to do a clean install and then have the buyer NOT show up and be stuck reinstalling ALL my stuff. So if its a rather quick process i can do it while he/she is here waiting.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Here are easy steps to delete everything...
  1. Click on your finder logo
  2. Go to your HDD
  3. Click on it
  4. highlight everything
  5. right click
  6. click delete

That should take 15-20 minutes.

By the way... unless you are doing heavy video editing I would recommend the i5 because it is still VERY powerful and you get 1-2 hours of more battery life than the i7. But it's your decision.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
  2. Go to your HDD
  3. Click on it
  4. highlight everything
  5. right click
  6. click delete

By the way... unless you are doing heavy video editing I would recommend the i5 because it is still VERY powerful and you get 1-2 hours of more battery life than the i7. But it's your decision.

ok and doing it this way will delete all email accouns? conacts in address book? ical syncing with gmail, etc, etc ( all my personal info ) ?

WOW this seems way to easy as opposed to cleaning a windows machine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
  2. Go to your HDD
  3. Click on it
  4. highlight everything
  5. right click
  6. click delete

That's NOT the way to do it! For one thing, it won't even let you delete most system files while the system is running. Your Mac should have come with grey install discs, which you will need.

How To Prepare a Mac For Sale

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Insert the DVD that came with your computer. Reboot and boot to DVD. Access Disk Utility, select the HD and choose to zero the disk at the 1x, 7x or 35x level. Reinstall the OS.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
ok and doing it this way will delete all email accouns? conacts in address book? ical syncing with gmail, etc, etc ( all my personal info ) ?

WOW this seems way to easy as opposed to cleaning a windows machine.

1. Ohh internet stuff? Go to
  2. Settings
  3. Preferences
  4. Auto Fill
  5. Click edit on the 1st one
  6. Select All
  7. Delete
  8. Repeat for the 2nd and 3rd ones

For History go to
  1. Settings
  2. History
  3. Select All
  4. Delete
I have no clue on iMail or anything but I guess some people are saying I am "wrong" I guess see what they say...

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Whoops sorry I guess you have to insert the CD for Snow Leopard and delete it then re-install it. Sorry I thought my way worked too. No trolling intended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.