Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boostin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Phoenix
So semi strange question, but hopefully a fairly simple one. For recording video, which of these will have better quality? I know the Canon 7D can record HD video, but is it the same/worse/better then the Canon Vixia? Thanks for any input. O, i will be recording in Las Vegas for my friends 21st birthday. These are the only two camera options i have as well. My friend will let me borrow his 7D, and my mom has this Camcorder. Thanks again in advance.

Also, the camera is not for professional anything, i just mean overall, what would the best solution be. When we are walking around vegas, and he is partying his face off, which camera will give me overall better video/sound quality. Im very novice in camera/camcorder, but i can somewhat handle my own with a DSLR as i took a digital photo class in college. But, if the DSLR is going to be a huge headache then it wont really be worth it to me. Thanks in advance again.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Well, the Canon Vixia wins, because the 50D cannot do video.

Canon cameras that can do video are
- 5D mk II
- 7D
- 1D mk IV
- 500D (T1i)
- 550D (T2i)

Summery: The dSLR is better, but its also a lot more work

Comparing a camcorder to a dSLR is not really the best way to look at it; they are different systems. For pure IQ, the dSLR will be the better system. These systems are being used professionally, such as ... , part of the intro on SNL, the entire season finale of House and perhaps (still unconfirmed) even some scenes in Red Tails, a film from George Lucus. The Camcorder? I don't see it being used that much in this type of work. However, with dSLR, the processing is a SOB. The on-board sound is poor compared to the camcorder, the focus is done manually, and depending on the aperture/depth of field, the scene can look blurry. Also, the IS of the lenses was designed for still photography, and does not transition completely to video work. With the camcorder, its basically hold it and forget. With the dSLR, you really need to be on top of your game, and even then you get a lot of crap. Still, though for pure IQ, the dSLR is the way to go, just understand it comes with a headache.

Boostin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Phoenix
If you meant the Canon EOS 500D and not the Canon EOS 50D, I would go with the 500D just because the sensor is bigger and you have manual control over zoom and focus, but I'm used to shoulder cameras with manual controls, thus I prefer them over many other aspects.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/index.aspx

I ment the Canon EOS 50D. Here is link to camera that my friend bought.
http://www.samsclub.com:80/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod863502&navAction=push

Well, the Canon Vixia wins, because the 50D cannot do video.

Canon cameras that can do video are
- 5D mk II
- 7D
- 1D mk IV
- 500D (T1i)
- 550D (T2i)

Wow, silly me. You are totally right. I apologize.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I knew i wasnt crazy, i just talked to my buddy, and he actually has a 7D. heres camera he has.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356
thanks.

So now it is time to decide between the 7D and that Vixia thing or is the 50D still on the table? Because the 50D still has no video capability.

I would still go with the 7D, as the 7D and the Vixia both use the H264 codec, so you lose image quality on both sides. With the 7D you just have more image quality to begin with.

If you want, you can edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Btw, you can multi quote via the
multiquote_off.gif
button and you can edit your posts via the
edit.gif
button, as consecutive posts by the same user are not really welcome here.

Boostin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Phoenix
So now it is time to decide between the 7D and that Vixia thing or is the 50D still on the table? Because the 50D still has no video capability.

I would still go with the 7D, as the 7D and the Vixia both use the H264 codec, so you lose image quality on both sides. With the 7D you just have more image quality to begin with.

If you want, you can edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Btw, you can multi quote via the
multiquote_off.gif
button and you can edit your posts via the
edit.gif
button, as consecutive posts by the same user are not really welcome here.

Yeah its the 7D vs the Vixia. And ok, well cool deal. Well i think ill play with both and see which i like better and go from there. Thanks a bunch.

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
aren't we forgetting the purpose of the movie. if this dicussion will go on, we will end with a red ;-)

friends wedding, nothing pro.
so with a consumer cam, you can film an keep on filming and have that special moment captured, while with the dslr you are still turning buttons for the setting of the thing. sound in sync. etc.

and, more important, i guess you want to be part of the game and also have some fun:)

so, do as i do in those cases, have your camcorder, with lots of storage (tapes, cards) and keep the thing running and move around the party. then you will have enough material to edit it in something nice (oh, also have a plan, not just shooting of course).

have fun :)

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Also, the camera is not for professional anything, i just mean overall, what would the best solution be. When we are walking around vegas, and he is partying his face off, which camera will give me overall better video/sound quality. Im very novice in camera/camcorder, but i can somewhat handle my own with a DSLR as i took a digital photo class in college. But, if the DSLR is going to be a huge headache then it wont really be worth it to me. Thanks in advance again.

You are asking for the best solution not the best camera. The best solution would be a dedicated video camera - not a DSLR. A video cam will have zoom, is lightweight, and is perfect for walking around Las Vegas. A DSLR will require several lens to cover all possible focal lengths (remember zoom lenses have lesser quality than fixed focal length lenses). And you would have to change out lenses as required. But the most important piece of equipment you should carry with you is a good, solid tripod with a fluid head. If you hand hold a camera for as long as you are going to have it in action, you will make your viewers seasick and most will get up and leave before it's even half way over. Even amateur video can be made so much better by using a tripod/fluid head combo - in the end the camera is secondary to a tripod.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'll concur with Xstep, baypharm and Richard,

The Vixia is your answer...and if you're shooting (no pun intended;)) for Image Quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed there either.

The DSLR's are a lot of fun, especially as a B cam, crash cam, or specialty footage (Shallow DOF, Low Light, Super Wide, Super Tele, etc)....BUT, as the others have mentioned, that magic comes at a tremendous cost...stabilization, 2nd system audio, fast glass (to take advantage of it's low light capabilities), sometimes...a PITA in post, etc. ALSO, don't discount the IQ of these higher end consumer video cameras...I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass the 7d, 5d2, 1d4, t2i, et al in true resolved lines. The current batch of DSLRs are plagued by aliasing and moire...which is actually false detail. They aren't resolving much more than standard def at this point....Just under 600 lines and primarily due to their Low Pass Filter which is optimized for still photography...at 16, 18, and 21 megapixels....not video at 2 megapixels.

It's one or the other, and while these cameras are outstanding still cams, there are still plenty of limits for them in motion.

Exciting little pieces of technology though...they'll only get better as time moves forward. I don't think Canon had ANY idea about how popular these would become...actually, it was Nikon first out of the gate with the venerable D90, wasn't it? Regardless, the ability to use interchangable lenses on an S35 or true 35mm sensor for motion...at under $100,000 was a blessing from the video Gods, for sure! And, therefore...a huge demand from the indie market was born....as well as from the big boys (and female directors) because of the cost...availability, and the chance to buy a full prime set of glass for 10 large...instead of a quarter million dollars!:eek:

Bring the Vixia....grab a P&S still cam, and tear the town apart!

Have fun:) Try to get some good shots, and enjoy yourself!!!

Jer

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I agree that the Vixia would be better. The 7D will give you better video, but you're going to do a lot more work to get it. The Vixia will still give you great video, but much easier.

soundtrak00

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
I agree with Xstep, baypharm and Richard also.

I actually was in the same situation and couldn't decide on a canon rebel t2i or the vixia m30. I ended up getting the m30 because I didn't want to carry all those lenses, and I can fit the thing in my pocket. Get the vixia with the Canon-WD-H37C-II-Wide-Angle-Converter-Lens or the Raynox HD-5050LE wide angle lens and you'll be able to take unbelievable video. You definitely won't be diappointed. My buddy has the 7d and It was great for still shots. But as for video, it took great video, but really waaaayyy too chunky and I'm not a fan of carrying too many lenses. I like to keep my luggage for my camera down to a minimum.

Just my 2 cents.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
This was a question of video quality, not size. For quality, the DSLRs will smoke this camcorder and any camcorder in their price range. The season finale of HOUSE, shot entirely on 5D Mark II. 7D certainly doesn't have the shallow depth of field or low light ability, but shoots at a slightly higher bitrate and has 720p 60FPS capability, which is good for slow motion.

I happen to be friends with some people who use these cameras for their professional work so I'm surrounded in the technology. I myself own a T2i and used to own a HF10 for personal work, these SLRs provide incredible quality. They have their issues, but for strictly video quality... they will smoke things in their price range. Get a tripod, and a RODE Video Mic for 130 bucks and you're set. Hand held footage is crap no matter the camera, whether it's an Arri S16 or a DSLR.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
This was a question of video quality, not size. For quality, the DSLRs will smoke this camcorder and any camcorder in their price range. The season finale of HOUSE, shot entirely on 5D Mark II. 7D certainly doesn't have the shallow depth of field or low light ability, but shoots at a slightly higher bitrate and has 720p 60FPS capability, which is good for slow motion.

Actually, just a minor correction, but the Canon EOS 550D (also known as the T2i), 7D, 5D Mark II and the 1D Mark IV all shoot video with the same bitrate.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

I happen to be friends with some people who use these cameras for their professional work so I'm surrounded in the technology. I myself own a T2i and used to own a HF10 for personal work, these SLRs provide incredible quality. They have their issues, but for strictly video quality... they will smoke things in their price range. Get a tripod, and a RODE Video Mic for 130 bucks and you're set. Hand held footage is crap no matter the camera, whether it's an Arri S16 or a DSLR.

I disagree. The DSLRs make for some very good digital cinema cameras. But that doesn't sound like what he needs for this situation. Go with the Vixia.

And this is coming from a 7D owner.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
For the OP: do you intend to take still photos as well as video, or do you just want to shoot video? If you are just after video, then I'd take the VIXIA hands down. It's much easier to control than a DSLR will be for video. However, if you also want to take stills, then the DLSR might be a better option since you won't have to juggle two cameras. I've done this before on vacations and it's annoying.

Now I'll throw in a third option: use a flip-style camcorder and a point-and-shoot. Much easer to carry around, and less obtrusive when trying to get candid shots and video of people doing, um, "stuff" in Vegas. People tend to clam up when you point a full-size camcorder or a DSLR at them. Not so much the case with their smaller cousins.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
If it were me, I'd go with the 7D and a wide angle prime... 24mm to 35mm.
It'll be wide enough for group shots and fast enough for the low light conditions. And sharp. And it won't be huge. It's a great camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.