Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Why do my soft contact lenses keep squishing in when I try to put them in?

And do the weighted contact lenses with the line on the bottom of them does the line have to be on the bottom when putting them in? or do they automatically align?

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
If you mean they keep folding, they do that. Just make sure they're not folded on your finger before you put them in.

And weighted contact lenses align automatically (that's the reason they're weighted) but they will align faster if you put them in with the line on the bottom.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
haha, when i hear that squishing, i know they are in good!

Its the air between your eye and the contact escaping (if you are talking about that farting sound you hear). Nothing to worry about

And no, i have an astigmatism as well and i have never had to put the contact in the right way. it will find its way to the right position in a few blinks. Things look funny for a second, but it gets better. :)

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Also as the night went on the contact lenses got blurry, I couldn't see thing close up very well and stuff faraway I could see just fine.

And at nighttime the dash lights and speedo gauge on my car were very blurry to look at.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
You probably have astigmatism and the contacts are rotating out of place.

Theres typically only TWO positions where astigmatism lenses will be in focus. Each 180° from the other.

Try using your finder, clean and smooth of course, to turn your lens every so slightly.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
You probably have astigmatism and the contacts are rotating out of place.

Theres typically only TWO positions where astigmatism lenses will be in focus. Each 180° from the other.

Try using your finder, clean and smooth of course, to turn your lens every so slightly.

Yeah I do I have toric lenses for my astigmatism.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
When I switched from Acuvue Hydroclear to the Acuvue Oasys for Astigmitism. The first pair turned blurry in a matter of days. I had to change them. They were fine after that.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
This is an incredibly important question that me and my engineering buddies specifically addressed back in college. Here's the deal: when you wash your hands before touching the contact lenses, you leave moisture on your fingers. This moisture has inherent surface tension (surface tension is what causes a meniscus to form in a glass of water). While your eye is wet, it's not soaking wet like your finger. Additionally, the tears in your eye have surfactant chemicals that reduce the surface tension. As a result, the contact lens will prefer to stick to your finger instead of your eye.

The solution? Just before you put the contact lens into your eye, try dropping one single drop of water into the side of the contact lens that will touch your eye. If you put the lens into your eye in such a way that that drop of water doesn't drip out of your lens as you're placing it in your eye, you'll get a very strong bond between the lens and your eye. Hope this explanation helps!

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
This is an incredibly important question that me and my engineering buddies specifically addressed back in college. Here's the deal: when you wash your hands before touching the contact lenses, you leave moisture on your fingers. This moisture has inherent surface tension (surface tension is what causes a meniscus to form in a glass of water). While your eye is wet, it's not soaking wet like your finger. Additionally, the tears in your eye have surfactant chemicals that reduce the surface tension. As a result, the contact lens will prefer to stick to your finger instead of your eye.

The solution? Just before you put the contact lens into your eye, try dropping one single drop of water into the side of the contact lens that will touch your eye. If you put the lens into your eye in such a way that that drop of water doesn't drip out of your lens as you're placing it in your eye, you'll get a very strong bond between the lens and your eye. Hope this explanation helps!

I would assume solution would work too?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
do you mean the contact rolls in on itself?

If that's the case, simple - your contact is inside out. Every contact I've ever had has done that. Just flip it inside out in your palm using your other hand then put 2 drops of saline solution in it.

I put the contact on my index finger and use my other hand to pry my upper and lower eyelids apart, then insert the contact. My eye doctor at the time told me to close my eyes then gently pat a finger on my eyeball which puts pressure on the contact to adhere to the eyeball and push any fluid out for a proper fit.

Haven't had any issues with blurriness although contacts are usually not as sharp as glasses. Maybe you have an astigmatism, but if you were just at the eye doctors, they would have ordered proper contacts.

hope that helps.
keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.