Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Great pricing for sure, although never heard of the brand. It looks like the actual memory chips are samsung, which is generally very good. You could be the first to try it out and let us know :)

Oh, and I'd probably steer clear of the set with a heatsink. These aren't needed unless your overclocking your memory into oblivion and would probably cause more harm than good in your MBP.

LeviSnuts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
thanks.
if no one gets them and tries them before i get my new 15" MBP in june (educ. special), i'll get the the ones for 235 and see how they work.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Cool. Also, you might consider getting the PC8500 chips vs the PC10600 you linked earlier. The PC10600 chips would work just fine, but PC8500 generally has faster memory timings and would be quicker in a MBP. (MBPs would just downclock the 1333mhz memory to 1067 - and retain the slower timings of the 1333 chips)

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Has anyone used (or heard of) Komputerbay RAM?

here's one set of 2x4GB for $235
http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-S...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274492283&sr=1-148

an another 2x4GB with "SODIMM Heatsink for extra cooling" for $245
http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-S...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274492283&sr=1-153

can anyone vouch for these parts?/ the price is so temping!

Looks pretty sketchy with no feedback and such.

You can get name brand 8GB sets for close to $300 from the usual suspects. I wouldn't touch this no-name stuff regardless of the price. You get what you pay for~~~.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
To be honest, I wouldn't budge from CSX or Hynix. These are the standard stock RAMs Apple uses in their computer.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Hynix was the standard back in 2006~, but Samsung and Micron are definitely the standard chips found in Macbooks these days.

2006 ? :confused: Apple is still shipping all computers with Hynix even today. My 2010 MBP came with 2 x 2GB Hynix. And I've never seen Samsung RAMs in MacBook Pros.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
2006 ? :confused: Apple is still shipping all computers with Hynix even today. My 2010 MBP came with 2 x 2GB Hynix. And I've never seen Samsung RAMs in MacBook Pros.

Interesting. Don't get me wrong, I think hynix stuff is fine, it's used exclusively in Dell machines. I just haven't personally seen (and ive cracked open a good number of C2D and i5/7 machines), or even read about anyone receiving hynix memory in a macbook for a good number of years.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Interesting. Don't get me wrong, I think hynix stuff is fine, it's used exclusively in Dell machines. I just haven't personally seen (and ive cracked open a good number of C2D and i5/7 machines), or even read about anyone receiving hynix memory in a macbook for a good number of years.

No, not getting your wrong at all :) just saying what I know.

hoosierbluesman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Not Such Good Luck....So Far

I purchased the 4GB module and it did not demonstrate any increase in performance over the first couple of weeks. Last week, my machine (2.4Ghz MacBook) began to have very routine nasty freeze/crashes. Worried that my logic board was dead, it occurred to me in a panic that it may be the RAM. After I removed the new module, the issues disappeared and have not returned. I am 4 days beyond the 30 day return window and will call tomorrow and hope to get a RMA to get a credit. Will post how that goes.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
OWC had 8Gb of DDR3 RAM for the same price. I bought my RAM upgrade from OWC and have been very satisfied. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with OWC, Newegg, or Crucial from a number of sites. Avoid Apple's own RAM. It is overpriced and no better than that which a bunch of sites offer for significantly less money.
I was also going to suggest OCW( www.macsales.com )there ram is priced very near to what the OP said he found on Amazon. I would feel better getting more of a name brand ram from OWC.

bward24601

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Samsung

Don't forget to size isn't everything. Any info on the RAM speed?

on a side note -

My 2008 MBP has Samsung memory in. It came fro Apple that way.

varma1986

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Komputerbay stay away

Komputerbay sells 8gb DDR3 ram at 2 bus speeds of 1033 and 1333.
They tell you that both are compatible with your MacBook. pro Notebooks.

The facts:
-Macbook Pro are very specific about their ram and the 1333 bus speed ram will NOT work well with MacBooks.
Your Snowleopard OS will freeze and not respond and might even crash or ask you to restart.
Your problems are more if you are running "Parallels" as that will freeze and crash as well.
So say no to anybody recommending 1333 bus speed to your Macbook Pro.
That will make your life easier.

-KomputerBay sells cheaper version of low quality memory.
The one i received had a brand of Zepplin which does not even have a website and yet offer life time warranty!!.
So you can imagine what will happen to the 235 US$, Down the drain.

-When you insert the KomputerBay Zepplin memory, your Mac will not identify its serial or product number and that speaks for itself.
Low quality Ram from cheap chip manufacturers.

-The one that i ordered with Komputerbay was 1066 DDR3 8gb kit.
To my surprise i got a 1333 DDR3 8gb kit which was labeled as 1066 DDR3 8GB.
Komputerbay did not bother to check the item before dispatch.
Faced plenty of problems and my Mac said no to the Ram.
I ultimately returned the memory and got my refund of 235 US$.
Komputerbay processes refund very fast.

-The memory sold by Quantum technology on Ebay at 310 US$ is good and of ELPIDA brand.
Mac recognizes the serial and product number of the memory sold by these people.

-In summary stay away from Komputerbay if you are wanting to upgrade ram for your Mac Book Pro 13, 15, or 17.

RogueGypsy47

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Registered just to add my own $0.02 about Komputerbay. I did the research and thought, "Hey, this price looks great!" for a 4GB (2x2) kit that was marketed specifically for an Apple. I couldn't get my computer to even boot up without one of Apple's 1GB sticks plugged in to babysit the Kombuterbay stuff.

I've learned my lesson: you get what you pay for. I don't plan on making this mistake again and I suggest anybody else out there learn from my mistakes.

Oh, and another one is not researching the company before buying. : ( If I had, I probably would have found this thread earlier and saved myself some hassle. Now I just hope they're as good at refunding as advertised. :p

revcom

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
komputerbay ram

i would steer clear from this ram,i put 8gb 1333 in my MBP it froz after twenty mins,i put my old one back in,i will try a well known make next time..
hope this helps you make up your mind..good luck

wedgeman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
i would steer clear from this ram,i put 8gb 1333 in my MBP it froz after twenty mins,i put my old one back in,i will try a well known make next time..
hope this helps you make up your mind..good luck

Agreed.

I recently bought a substantial amount of their "Komputerbay" ram modules. It looked like a bargain - Most of Komputerbay brand was $20 off of the best price I'd seen elsewhere, and it was supposedly high quality product according to all their information.

The Komputerbay RAM sticks arrived in plain boxing (no static protection) with nothing more than a black & white copied 'label' sticker (the type that comes off a standard thermal printer that Fedex uses) stuck on crookedly over the top of the case.

I didn't think too much of it until I opened the package to find that the RAM is cheap Chinese knockoff memory chips mounted on generic PCBs. There is nothing quality about it. Apparently Komputerbay is just sticking their labels on somebody else's crap quality RAM.

It gets worse. 3 of the 4 cards I bought for my MacBook Pro and iMac all failed within 30 minutes. I didn't bother leaving the fourth in - - I would rather not have to buy a $1200 logic board because some crap ram burned it up.

It still gets worse. Komputerbay customer service is terrible. They obviously speak NO English as they couldn't write a complete sentence at all, and they have offered no help. They don't include a phone number, so you can't get help other than writing an email and hoping someone answers it. [Although after reading the emails (written in jibberish), i'm not sure speaking to them on the phone would be of any use] They also don't answer email promptly, so what should be taken care of in a few minutes is now stretched over days.

My only consolation was to have purchased over Amazon, so I'll let them take care of it. I called Amazon and they've sent a box to pick it up.

So... let's see. Save $30 off of the price of decent RAM, but risk wasting HOURS of your life dealing with a bunch of scam artists? you decide.

Last edited:

afro54

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
You pays your money...

But, if you buy 1333Mhz memory for your MBP, more fool you!

Check the specs before you buy - Komputerbay memory is just fine for the MBP, if you buy the correct speed chips - 1066Mhz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.