Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I am creating this post in case anyone found my ipad.

I left it in the seatback pocket on Continental flight 337 from Charlotte to Newark. The serial number is GB012AUUZ39. I know this is a shot in the dark but Continental's lost and found baggage resolution is a joke.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
It has been a nightmare, I didn't notice until already in the air on a connecting flight. I'm wondering if there is some way to track it outside of mobileme because like a fool I never turn on the find my ipad feature but there should still be a way to locate it via the mac address or something.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
I have a friend who works for Southwest and says that Kindles get left in seatback pockets all the time.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Really sorry to hear this. Hope you had some kind of travel insurance. For future references, Amex's travel insurance is pretty good and reasonably priced. Do you have MobileMe with find my iPhone (iPad) enabled?

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I don't have mobileme with the find my ipad enabled on the device. I have called continental and they have been zero help. I am checking my card I bought it on to see if it has traveler insurance but I doubt it even though it is NFCU. My only hope at this point is if my renter's insurance covers it but I doubt it. If it is not returned should I consider it theft, sort of like what Apple did with the prototype lost iphone? I ask because I am sure USAA covers theft.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Ugh. I am always paranoid about leaving something on a plane. I've never left anything like that, though I did leave two copies of the same book on planes within the same week. Had to buy a 3rd copy to finish it.

Was it a 3G or WIFI?

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
It's easy to do in the chaos of flying. I left a laptop on a plane once - it was my first laptop and the first time I traveled with it. I was lucky enough to get it back since I realized it just after I left the gate. I know a guy that left his laptop at security not too long ago. People forget a lot of things when traveling - lots of distractions and things to remember. Good luck!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
wow, im really really sorry to hear that. i hope you get it back or at least have some form of insurance coverage for it. i'd probably cry if it happened to me

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do not call Continental's 800 number. Call the Continental office AT Newark.

johng723

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
California
You might want to try calling the airport where you were connecting through. Sometimes the FA's or the cleaners on the airplane will see it and bring it up to the gate agent. At that point, there's a chance that it will go to lost and found. Couldn't hurt to try...Good Luck!

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I feel for you dude, but YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME?!!!
That'll be the first thing I make sure I have with me! My 3GS is the second.
Minor things such as passports and stuff are insignificant. :D

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
That's awful -- hope you get it back. I once left a $1000 Hugo Boss jacket on a plane. It was a Christmas present from my wife, and it was the very first time I had worn it. I remembered it while I was still in the terminal, but someone had already walked off with it. Insurance covered it, but still. :(

cheeseblock

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
SLC, UT
Apple has a service that helps you locate your lost iPhone or iPad. I'm not sure how it works, but you should look into it. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

EDIT: I'm sorry i didn't read the whole thread, just posted my idea. Didn't know that feature wasn't activated.
So here's my other idea:
Just in case someone has it, you could send it emails asking to help you, offering a reward, whatever. Keep sending them for a while, so you're sure they see it. Hopefully they'll see it before they change the email account. It could work

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well, either a flight attendant took it while cleaning up the plane for the next set of passengers, or the guy who had your seat on the next flight for that airplane took it. Either way it should be possible to track down.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
I left my iPad in a target shopping cart the other day, drove home 30 mins to find out it wasn't there. Got an email 15 mins later that said "I think I found your iPad"

There are still good people.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple has a service that helps you locate your lost iPhone or iPad. I'm not sure how it works, but you should look into it. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html
Kudos on reading the thread where the OP posted that he didn't have it turned on. :rolleyes:

OP, I'm not sure you can conisder this theft. It's a lost item. You don't know someone has it yet and you probably can't use the current suit as precedent because it's not yet over. That said, I'm real sorry this happened. Hopefully you can find a way to get reimbursed for it by way of insurance or something.

For anyone wondering how this can happen, that seat back pocked is big enough to hide the ipad without it being seen. In the rush to deplane there is no doubt that the ipad could be missed.

cheeseblock

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
SLC, UT
Kudos on reading the thread where the OP posted that he didn't have it turned on. :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry i didn't read the whole thread, just posted my idea.
So here's my other idea:
If it turns out someone has it, you could send it emails asking to help you, offering a reward, whatever. Keep sending them for a while. So you're sure they see it. Hopefully they'll see it before they change the email account. It could work.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Use @Continental and @UnitedAirlines on Twitter... I'm sure they'll do their best to make sure their online customer service image isn't tarnished by a poor experience that may come of this.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
christof said:
Use @Continental and @UnitedAirlines on Twitter... I'm sure they'll do their best to make sure their online customer service image isn't tarnished by a poor experience that may come of this.

Why'd they be responsible for your own carelessness?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.