Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
So, since we are already allowed to buy contract-free iPhones from AT&T, for the next iPhone i wanted to buy an iphone contract free. It avoids the hassle of getting my parents to sign a contract (i'm 17 and use gophone), and i have extra $ from mowing lawns and fixing computers.

For those of you who have done this or have tried to do this in the past, would it be possible to pre-order an iPhone, but at full retail value (~$599 or $699)? What stores can you and can't you do this at? Can i do this at 17 since i won't be signing a contract?

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
In the past, they haven't allowed the phone to be purchased off contract right away. Its been a few months after release.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
In the past, they haven't allowed the phone to be purchased off contract right away. Its been a few months after release.

I thought that if you paid the full retail value there are no strings attached?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I thought that if you paid the full retail value there are no strings attached?

There aren't any strings when you buy full retail, but they don't offer that option right away. For the first couple of months you will probably only be able to buy the new iPhone WITH a contract. After a few months, Apple will sell the new iPhone w/o a contract like they did with the 3GS.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
ATT will hold all the new iPhones for customers who will sign a contract so they get more money. They may sell the new iPhones off contract after several months since it will be in such high demand.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
There aren't any strings when you buy full retail, but they don't offer that option right away. For the first couple of months you will probably only be able to buy the new iPhone WITH a contract. After a few months, Apple will sell the new iPhone w/o a contract like they did with the 3GS.

Is there a certain time, like 90 days? How will i find out?

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
ATT will hold all the new iPhones for customers who will sign a contract so they get more money. They may sell the new iPhones off contract after several months since it will be in such high demand.

What if i get it from the apple store, or best buy?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Is there a certain time, like 90 days? How will i find out?

You'll find out the same way you found out about no-contract 3GS iPhones. Just keep checking MacRumors and other sites and they'll break the news as soon as Apple announces it.

There's always ebay, but this time around the iPhones are going to be much more expensive because of the $325 ETF.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
When you pre order on Apple's site, it will tell you how much you qualify for and if there is an unsubsidized price, you can pay that.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
It's hard for me to believe that Apple will not sell you an iPhone just because you don't qualify for a new 2yr contract or an upgrade. They will be more than happy to sell you an iPhone 4 for full price; $600+.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It's hard for me to believe that Apple will not sell you an iPhone just because you don't qualify for a new 2yr contract or an upgrade. They will be more than happy to sell you an iPhone 4 for full price; $600+.

NO, but they will be more than happy to sell you a phone with a new activation.

They've always been reluctant to sell iPhones without getting them committed to a service.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
NO, but they will be more than happy to sell you a phone with a new activation.

They've always been reluctant to sell iPhones without getting them committed to a service.

I still have a year left on my contract. Don't think Apple cares that much about the commitment to service. Money is money. Now ATT, I can see since they lose money on every iPhone with a contract.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
So wait... If I wanna buy the phone without extending my contract I have to wait MONTHS? WTF apple.. Screwing it's best supporters over again.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
So wait... If I wanna buy the phone without extending my contract I have to wait MONTHS? WTF apple.. Screwing it's best supporters over again.

They always have. How long did it take them to sell an iPhone sans activation in the first place?!

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I still have a year left on my contract. Don't think Apple cares that much about the commitment to service. Money is money. Now ATT, I can see since they lose money on every iPhone with a contract.

It's probably somewhere in the Apple/AT&T agreement. AT&T doesn't get the customer locked into a contract if they buy full retail. I'm sure they'd much rather sell with contracts than without, and come launch that's probably what they'll do.

But you're right, I don't think it matters to Apple. They get their money either way. Either from you at full price, or from you + AT&T subsidization.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA

No, you will be able to. Some people here do not know how to word their posts correctly. Since you are saying you HAVE a contract, you will be able to buy an iPhone 4, at full price (most likely). I got the iPhone 3G the day it came out on contract. When the 3GS was launched I was no eligible for an upgrade, however, through AT&T pre-orders, I paid full-price and received the iPhone 3GS on launch day, June 19th, I believe? So, you will be able to get the iPhone 4 without extending your contract- because you already have a contract. AT&T isn't going to say "Oh, you've been with us for this long, but no upgrade? Well, screw you, no phone". If you want to give them more money for a phone, they will sell it to you.

However, for the OP, I do not believe you will be able to get an iPhone. As I said to SimGar- (s)he will be able to get an iPhone at full price due to there being an existing contract. You however have no contract, and I know that a friend of mine went to AT&T for the 3GS pre-order last summer and they said he needed to have a contract to get the 3GS. He did not want to sign a contract (wanted to sell the phone for much more than it's worth), and they denied him. So I highly doubt you would be able to buy the iPhone full price.

Bottom line. If you have a contract you will be able to get the new iPhone, whether you are eligible for an upgrade or want to pay full price or that one-year early upgrade price. If you don't have a contract, I believe, from past experience, you are S.O.L.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Hey man, try this. I did and crapped my pants in excitment.

Click here and put in your info

I thought I was gonna pay full price. I Did the *639# txt and I always got 12/22/10 with a 2yr up (which I don't want to do. Have had an iPhone since April 09)

What I got: I qualify for a 16GB 3GS @ $399. ($199 w/ 2yr and $599 w/o)
Now hopefully that stays true for the iPhone 4. If it does, I'm gonna Quad-Yeah all day (let's see if there are any Jim Rome fans out here).

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Any updates? is ebay still my best option to get iPhone 4 without a contract?

adeloren

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Yes you could go the ebay route, but look to spend ATLEAST 1000 bucks the first couple weeks of release. Atleast thats what im guessing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.