Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jviphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Im sure this is posted somewhere, but for those that don't know, all you need is camera connection kit, jailbroken ipad and ifile through cydia:

I was able to get my ipad to read the usb and and sd card through the camera kit with no work arounds, the ipad auto mounts the device for reading, all you need is ifile,

with the drive/card in the slot open ifile go to var/mount and you will see your mount point, click on the mount1 point and there ya go your mounted drive, i was able to view pictures full screen without importing them and also view excel, word docs and other pics from a usb drive etc..

Was able to view pdf's and mp4 movies directly off the card or usb drive rather quickly, so basically you get a 32gb usb flash drive and you just expanded your ipad storage by 32.. ;)

* This is also great for those that dont want to import photos from their sd cards, you can view them in full screen right off of the card

epicnemesis

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I'm still waiting for someone to make an app or show me how to transfer a video from my flash drive to my ipad so I can play is off of the ipad storage from the video app as opposed to playing it with a thing sticking out and in the ifile app.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I'm still waiting for someone to make an app or show me how to transfer a video from my flash drive to my ipad so I can play is off of the ipad storage from the video app as opposed to playing it with a thing sticking out and in the ifile app.

Copy it using Fugu on our Mac or some other SSH/SCP client on your PC. :)

Once Mobile Terminal is updated, I suppose you can do it right from your iPad itself. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Can't you just use ifile to copy the file off the flash drive to some directory on your ipad? You won't be able to play it through the ipad video app, but you can watch it from ifiles.

drporf

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Does a WD My passport drive work via this method? Not one with required AC adapter, portable on that is powered by usb...Thx

lightest

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Hi there! Does anyone have any idea how to get ifile working with SD/Flash in read/write mode?

cimonc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
i tried using a 32GB flash drive on the ipad 2 and it said the power source wasn't strong enough. How were you able to play a whole movie with that?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
i tried using a 32GB flash drive on the ipad 2 and it said the power source wasn't strong enough. How were you able to play a whole movie with that?

That's because Apple reduced the power output to the dock connector from iOS 3.x to iOS 4.x. I haven't yet seen if there's a way to increase the power output as the hardware can obviously support it, it's the OS that is restricting it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My iPad 2, running 4.3.3, just mounted an 8GB thumb drive and played a tv just fine through iFile. It did not, however, have enough power to mount my Iomega eGO portable drive.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
My iPad 2, running 4.3.3, just mounted an 8GB thumb drive and played a tv just fine through iFile. It did not, however, have enough power to mount my Iomega eGO portable drive.

Ah good point, I have an original iPad. :) After 4.x, I can no longer mount even a Sandisk 4GB flash drive.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
I suspected .mp4 could be played directly off the stick since ifile has a video player, but I didn't know for sure since so far I've only tried .avi (which you have to have auto-copied onto local storage for avplayer) . Thats good to know, I'll convert any higher res or long movies that I dont want to save space for and wait 10 minutes to copy.

None of my thumb drives work but Ive got a 16 and 8 gig sd card at least... ill pick up a 32 eventually.

danialbi

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Hi everybody! useful thread!
I have ipad2 4.3.3 jb, iFile 1.6, cck, SanDisk 32G SDHC, OplayerHD 1.0.16, vlc 1.1.0.
SD get mounted ok, I can see the Flash drive and the files.

When I tap onto a .pdf file I'm given the option PDF Viewer/ Web viewer and all works ok.

But when I tap on .avi I don't get the option to 'open with'...after a few secs Oplayer is launched but revrts to 'File servers' screen and stops; differently from the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CSPTSmUes&feature=related

It only works if I copy as link and paste into Oplayer documents directory - which is not bad anyway.
Anyone succeeded in launching .avi video from iFile using Oplayer or vlc?
What am I doing wrong?
Tnx

Last-minute:
I found that when tapping .avi it gets copied to /inbox in OplayerHD, no option given (but I don't want to copy, want to play off SD)??. I have a 'cracked' iFile not registered...

Last edited:

danialbi

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
It depends on the flash drive. I have two flash drives. I only get the power message on one of them. The other one works fine.

I had so far no luck with USB on my ipad2 4.3.3 jb

I tried a small 2G USB thumb drive and get the message 'too much power'

Then I tried with a (very old) FAT32 HD externally powered: access LED blinked but nothing happened at all

Suggest you stick with SD...

By the way, anyone has the same behaviour with iFile and .avi as reported in my previous post?

danialbi

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
FYI there is someone working on the "too much power required" issue.

This is a quote from the other CCK thread.

Hopefully he will get it ready soon.

This is very good news, including the fact that Comex has included the patch, so it will be easy to implement!

...but apart from 20mA current limitation:
Has anybody been able to make an external (powered) HD work with ipad2? This should not exceed the limit!

riceguy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Hi everybody! useful thread!
I have ipad2 4.3.3 jb, iFile 1.6, cck, SanDisk 32G SDHC, OplayerHD 1.0.16, vlc 1.1.0.
SD get mounted ok, I can see the Flash drive and the files.

When I tap onto a .pdf file I'm given the option PDF Viewer/ Web viewer and all works ok.

But when I tap on .avi I don't get the option to 'open with'...after a few secs Oplayer is launched but revrts to 'File servers' screen and stops; differently from the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CSPTSmUes&feature=related

It only works if I copy as link and paste into Oplayer documents directory - which is not bad anyway.
Anyone succeeded in launching .avi video from iFile using Oplayer or vlc?
What am I doing wrong?
Tnx

Last-minute:
I found that when tapping .avi it gets copied to /inbox in OplayerHD, no option given (but I don't want to copy, want to play off SD)??. I have a 'cracked' iFile not registered...

To play Videos I use XBMC found in cydia, it plays avi, mkv, mp4 etc...

its a bit weird to use at first because its made for use with a mouse but it plays everything ive tried. XBMC allows navigation thru file structure of Ipad and will play directly from the file without copying, just locate the folder where your files are and add add it as a directory (mp3s got messed up in the recent update)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.