Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Hey guys - I need help!

I was restoring my iPhone, and iTunes doesn't seem to want to get past this:
4w5i

It's been stuck on this for the last half an hour, and not going anywhere. It's the second time it's happened. The first time, after 30 minutes I pulled it out and it went into recovery mode, so I tried restoring again to no prevail thus far.

Also - I'm taking it into Apple tomorrow, and I need to restore due to jailbreak. In the instance that I am unable to get it to restore, would they be able to note that I am jailbroken or will my iPhone already have been wiped?

Thanks guys.

rami.g

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Texas
Apple has issued security updates to block the iPhone from being updated after being jailbroken. I would assume that the same thing would happen when you try to restore you. It's kinda like your updating it but not really. Maybe thats why it would restore. The Apple Store might charge you the "out-of-warranty" fee because it is jailbroken.

Hope this helps.

--
RAMi.G:apple:

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Apple has issued security updates to block the iPhone from being updated after being jailbroken. I would assume that the same thing would happen when you try to restore you. It's kinda like your updating it but not really. Maybe thats why it would restore. The Apple Store might charge you the "out-of-warranty" fee because it is jailbroken.

Hope this helps.

--

Are you sure - even on iPhone 3G?

Well give it a little more time and if nothing pull it out and put it into DFU mode and try again
It won't go into DFU mode, I pull it out, turn it off. Then I hold sleep+home for around 4 seconds but it comes back on and into recovery mode.

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
Are you sure - even on iPhone 3G?

It won't go into DFU mode, I pull it out, turn it off. Then I hold sleep+home for around 4 seconds but it comes back on and into recovery mode.

Keep your phone plugged into iTunes, press and hold the power and home button and release the power button after 8 seconds (keep holding home)

Restore again.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Okay, so I plugged it into my friends MBP (same model as mine) and it restored...

Earlier I tried eliminating error on my end by restarting my MBP but it was no help.

Very strange.

Thank you all for your help - hopefully this won't happen again :)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Hope this helps.

--

Uh, delete all that in bold.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
The exact same status happened to me. I updated iTunes to 9.1.1 and it was all fixed.

Yeah, I already am at 9.1.1
I might have to reinstall iTunes and give it a go. Will post the results when I do.
I restored again on my sister's computer and everything worked fine, so it's obviously got to do with my computer.

nicksherb

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Hey I had the same problem, while beta testing 4.0 whats more so I was very worried. However, turns out you just need to uninstall itunes and some core files

If you are still unable to restore iPhone, remove iTunes by doing this:

If you are a Mac user, delete the following files:

2. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework
3. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

After that, restart your Mac and install the latest version of iTunes. Repeat the normal restore again.

For Windows users, uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and iTunes from your system, restart the computer and re-install the latest version of iTunes and try to restore again.

saiyamvora13

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Arlington
Same Problem

Ive been trying to look all over the internet about this problem and Finally I got to this thread. It seems like I started having this issue after I changed the "host" file to do a restore and sign the firmware via my SHSHs backed up on sauriks server.
Anyways a I removed whatever I changed on the host file and I am still getting the same problem(it gets stuck half way through the restore). I am a mac user and I uninstalled itunes-restarted my computer- re installed itunes and I am still getting the same problem. I guess I will try and delete those 2 files mentioned. If someone knows exactly what is happened please let me know. I am trying to restore an Iphone 3GS and an Iphone 3G both to 3.1.2 and I am getting the same problem!!

saiyamvora13

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Arlington
Still same problem

This is what I am stuck at..I uninstalled Itunes removed those 2 files restarted my computer and re installed Itunes and I am getting the same problem

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-14 at 11.24.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-14 at 11.24.30 PM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 35,583

saiyamvora13

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Arlington
Need Help

Any of the previous guys with this problem, please let me know what you'll did. Coz I have windows 7 also on my computer via boot camp and that too is giving me the same problem.

Tizucumacu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
It works

Hey I had the same problem, while beta testing 4.0 whats more so I was very worried. However, turns out you just need to uninstall itunes and some core files

After that, restart your Mac and install the latest version of iTunes. Repeat the normal restore again.

For Windows users, uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and iTunes from your system, restart the computer and re-install the latest version of iTunes and try to restore again.

Great, it WORKS !!

carltabet

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Beirut
nicksherb you are a savior

@nicksherb

I have no idea who you are but your solution is an absolute miracle!
*tears in my eyes*
I have spent the entire night trying to get out of the "Restoring iPhone Software" progress bar on my 2-year-old 3G (using Mac OS X 10.6.4 and iTunes 9.2)
I had a recent backup but I still needed to solve this and complete the restore process.
All my stuff was restored down to the very last SMS.
Bizarrely enough, my old emails on my POP account are gone, this happened before upgrading to 3.1, I wonder why.

No words to thank you!!

@saiyamvora13

If you're going through the fix under Mac OS X, you need to make sure iTunes is removed with a bunch of other files as well.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224
In addition to that, also delete the 2 files mentioned by nicksherb.

MeLtd

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Best advice EVAR!

I joined this forum solely to thank the author publicly for this advice. It worked perfectly after trying everything else.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I also had the same issue, and removing & reinstalling iTunes did the trick. I was about to smash my 3G into a million pieces were it not for this thread!

Now the $64,000 question: do I try to jailbreak again? Cydia has been giving me major headaches with ios4. I think I'll give it one more shot.

stumax

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Just like you guys, I've been stuck at the end of the restoring iphone software... for the last 4 hours without any change. Gonna try what's recommended above. Will update when I can.

stumax

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
This is great! To summarize everything. Initially tried to restore my 16gb 3G (jailbroken 3.1.3) from iTunes, but the process got hung-up at this:

4w5i

Waited at that point for 4 hours without any changes. Eventually found this thread. Decided to take a leap of faith and pulled the plug. Followed the instructions to remove itunes here plus removed the additional files listed above. Then reran the option-click restore (my phone had defaulted back into recovery mode.) Took about 20 minutes to do the restore to 4.0 and then restore my backup. Now it's resyncing. Hopefully that's the end of everything. Thanks for all of the help!

Next step: jailbreak and unlock!

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Awesome tip. I'm so glad I found this thread. I was looking and feeling like this :eek: :eek: but now I'm more :)

BMJT

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
Bristol, UK
Thanks

Just found this thread after my phone was refusing to restore, thanks so much for the great tip, all back to normal now, cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.