Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Per Request, here's a thread for people to post their cool tips and whatnot about Leopard

I'll start with the ones I posted to the front page

• Photo Mosaic Screensaver: Choose a photo album from the Desktop & Screen Saver control panel, then click on the 3rd "Display Style" (Mosaic). (ed note: Very cool.)
• iTunes Visualizers (iTunes -> View -> Visualizer): Lathe, Jelly and Stix
• Spotlight can be used as a calculator
• Control Panel -> Speech -> Text to Speech. New Alex Voice in Leopard.
• DVD Player with Chapter Index and Full Screen Controls
• Retro and Security screensavers are included in the Developer Tools (instructions)
• Coverflow works for fonts.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Dragging a Window to the extreme edge of the screen and holding it there will trigger you to move to the next "Space"

Spaces: After pressing F8, pressing "C" will collect all windows into Space 1. Pressing C again reverses it.

arn

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Apparently, you can get the old ribbon-style dock back in Leopard using some Terminal commands:

f_OldschoolDom_0975e1a.png

Disclaimer: I don't have my mac yet, and I haven't tested this. I ran across the tip on another forum.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Dragging a Window to the extreme edge of the screen and holding it there will trigger you to move to the next "Space"

Spaces: After pressing F8, pressing "C" will collect all windows into Space 1. Pressing C again reverses it.

arn
Note that you can toggle them back and forth while in the Spaces layout display, but if you go back to your desktop with all the windows in Space 1, you can't press "C" the next time to have them return to their multi-window arrangement. It doesn't remember the multi-Space arrangement after you choose the collapsed arrangement.

Lh'owon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
New Zealand
From Macworld's Ten Overlooked Leopard Gems:

Resizable partitions
In Leopard, you can create and resize hard disk partitions on the fly, without having to erase your drive and start over. For people looking to create temporary workspaces for projects, or to boost productivity in Photoshop, this will be huge.

Print preview
Being a printer guy, I have spent a lot of time over the years pondering the print dialog box. One thing has regularly confounded me: why can Microsoft can give me a (small) preview of what I’m about to print in Word or Excel, but I have to click a Preview button in the standard Print dialog box? I don’t want to launch Preview to see the preview, especially because it’s not really Preview, since I can’t do anything other than preview. I want it inside the Print box. I’ll need something new to complain about though, since Leopard gives me a nice big preview every time I go to print.

leopard-print-preview.png

It may not seem like a big deal to some, but the print preview in the print box is awesome to me. I really hated having to open Preview! (I don't actually have Leopard yet, but am really looking forward to it.)

macguysoft

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
A nice trick for all those who forgot would be to shift click on stacks and it'll go in slow-motion. Would be good to show-off to your PC friends :D

In stacks, you can also navigate through the arrow keys or tab key and it'll move around all your files. This works in both grid and fan mode... Furthermore, you're also able to type the name of the file and it'll jump right to it.

picture1qk1.png

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
A nice trick for all those who forgot would be to shift click on stacks and it'll go in slow-motion. Would be good to show-off to your PC friends :D

In stacks, you can also navigate through the arrow keys or tab key and it'll move around all your files. This works in both grid and fan mode... Furthermore, you're also able to type the name of the file and it'll jump right to it.

picture1qk1.png

thanks for that! very useful!

if you right click on the time machine icon in the dock you can backup to your external now. this would be useful to me when i have take my laptop somewhere quickly and i can do time machine backup right away without waiting till the next hour.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Something I've been waiting for is here finally. Either I didn't know how to do this in Tiger or this is a new feature. If you select multiple files and and hold down option and drag them, it will move all the files. Tiger behavior doing the same thing only moved the first file selected.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
If you want an opaque menu bar, you can adjust your desktop image with a 22 pixel tall (YMMV) #666666 coloured (again, you can choose other colours, too) rectangle, to fit right under the menu bar.

Attachments

• screenshot 1.jpg
    screenshot 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,076

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Apparently, you can get the old ribbon-style dock back in Leopard using some Terminal commands:

f_OldschoolDom_0975e1a.png

Disclaimer: I don't have my mac yet, and I haven't tested this. I ran across the tip on another forum.

do you remember which forum?

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Does the mosaic screensaver only work on intel? It just shows the first picture and nothing else on my PPC. Anyone confirm?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
print preview in the print box is awesome to me.

Okay that's great, but there's still one MAJOR flaw with Mac printing. For such a well designed OS, it's bizarre to me that there are TWO different menu items resulting in TWO different option windows that are both required to control your print output - the "Print" window and the "Page Setup" window! It's so crazy and inexplicable to me that Apple added such a huge amount of unnecessary complexity!

Has this changed in leopard?

I'm sure there is some historical or advanced-user reason why this is the way it is, but for 99% of users, having your print control settings spread across 2 totally disconnected windows is a huge annoyance and is very confusing to new users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.