Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Just wondering if the new iPhone will be sold unlocked in Italy and Belgium as in the following years? If so, a trip to Italy might be on the cards!!

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Just wondering if the new iPhone will be sold unlocked in Italy and Belgium as in the following years? If so, a trip to Italy might be on the cards!!
This is especially true since Italy is on the list of countries for the initial rollout; none of the other countries on that list (US/Canada/France/Germany/Spain/Switzerland/UK) currently have unlocked iPhones available at retail. If they do sell the 3GS unlocked, that'll be the earliest available option.

(Hmm, maybe I should price flights....)

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
is the iPhone 3G currently sold in italy unlocked? is it with TIM, or another carrier?

Graefe

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
As far as I know, the iPhone (and any mobile) is sold unlocked in France, too.

Graefe

wez99950

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
As far as I know, the iPhone (and any mobile) is sold unlocked in France, too.

Graefe

does that mean (excuse my ignorance) that i could buy the iphone 3gs payg from a phone company in France and just simply stick my irish meteor sim in it and it will work fine??
if that's true i think i will be doing that!!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
does that mean (excuse my ignorance) that i could buy the iphone 3gs payg from a phone company in France and just simply stick my irish meteor sim in it and it will work fine??
if that's true i think i will be doing that!!

A regular, over-the-counter contract iPhone in France will be sold to you locked to the carrier. However, due to French law, it is mandatory to offer an authorized system to unlock the phone upon request.

Within the first 6 months of ownership, it will cost you extra to unlock a phone in France. After the first 6 months are up, you can have the phone unlocked for free.

But if you entered into a fixed-term contract, you'd still be bound by the rest of the terms of the contract even after having your phone unlocked.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Last year I brought my iPhone 3G from TIM in Italy. It's unlocked so I could put my Orange UK SIM in (and my ATT when I go to the US). I will probably do the same again with the 3GS, as I get a great deal from Orange and travel a lot with work.

The only issue is the premium price - I think I paid £400 for the phone (but I brought 12 others and put them on eBay to pay for it!!)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
A regular, over-the-counter contract iPhone in France will be sold to you locked to the carrier. However, due to French law, it is mandatory to offer an authorized system to unlock the phone upon request.

Within the first 6 months of ownership, it will cost you extra to unlock a phone in France. After the first 6 months are up, you can have the phone unlocked for free.

But if you entered into a fixed-term contract, you'd still be bound by the rest of the terms of the contract even after having your phone unlocked.

Same story here in Aus.

Buy the phone for 8 or 9 hundred on pre-pay, pay a bit more for an unlock straight away and you're done. Use it anywhere, anyway you like.

If you get it on a contract (generally the phone is free) then the above post applies almost word-for-word. The phone may be unlocked but you're still bound by your contract.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I've bought two Italian iPhones and I'm planning the same this time. I'll have to wait until later in the summer to upgrade if I do it the O2 way.

If it's on eBay soon enough I'll be able to order it and have it before it even gets released in Ireland.

fatgorilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Hi guys, is it allowed to talk about jailbreak here ? I'm really not a punk but a few months back I gathered enough courage to jailbreak my phone. I just wanted some themes and it worked great..

Does anyone know if its possible to jailbreak such an officially unlocked iPhone from Italy or France without losing the carrier unlock ?

I'm really sorry if I'm not allowed to talk about this, please don't ban me, just let me know I'll edit my post.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Man, I really wish they would sell them unlocked here in the UK. I don't even have a problem keeping a contract with O2, I just want to be able to pop a local SIM in when I'm traveling so my phone is always operational and I don't have to worry about voiding the warranty by unlocking it myself.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Man, I really wish they would sell them unlocked here in the UK. I don't even have a problem keeping a contract with O2, I just want to be able to pop a local SIM in when I'm traveling so my phone is always operational and I don't have to worry about voiding the warranty by unlocking it myself.

Same here. And I pay for my phone upfront on Pay and Go, I don't think my request is unreasonable.

toddlermn

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Last year I brought my iPhone 3G from TIM in Italy. It's unlocked so I could put my Orange UK SIM in (and my ATT when I go to the US). I will probably do the same again with the 3GS, as I get a great deal from Orange and travel a lot with work.

The only issue is the premium price - I think I paid £400 for the phone (but I brought 12 others and put them on eBay to pay for it!!)

Olisones....

Count me in for an unlocked one from itally, if you're gonna pick up a few extra!! Are they going to be available unlocked in italy next week?

mitico

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Italy
Both Tim and Vodafone will sell it unlocked from June 19th. Similar prices as for the iPhone 3g are expected (i.e. 499 lower memory unit,599 higher capacity ones).

kleinishere

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
@olisones I'd be very interested in an unlocked 3GS as well. Seriously, if you get more I'd be happy to do a PayPal money transfer to you and get one from you. If you'd be willing, send me a PM and let's talk it over!

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I will be looking into taking a short trip to Italy at some point - depending on availability and ease of getting them - last year I found a store in Sardinia who were very helpful and more than willing to part with them!

Does anyone know if there would be a 1 per limit or anything this time around?

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
nothing official yet, but definitely unlocked and a friend of mine told me the prices will be as before, probably 399€ for the 8GB 3g, and 499€ for the 3g s⃣ 16gb and 569€ for the 32gb and not 599€, but we'll see in a few days.
Tim/Vodafone shops, especially these last ones are the ones selling contractless phones from day one. Same would go for Saturn/Mediaworld shops, they sell electronics and Apple Premium Retail stores. I asked and they told me they'd have iPhones in June but they still didn't know the pricing points and how many they'd have.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
nothing official yet, but definitely unlocked and a friend of mine told me the prices will be as before, probably 399€ for the 8GB 3g, and 499€ for the 3g s⃣ 16gb and 569€ for the 32gb and not 599€, but we'll see in a few days.

That's pretty much what they came it at last year. That said, it might be easier to get on a train to Belgium and pick a load up. Although I think Mobistar priced them higher than in Italy.

Does anyone know if you can purchase a phone in Belgium without actually living there?!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I will definitely be getting an italian one. Didn't decide though whether to get the 16 or 32. Will probably go with the 32, recording video and higher resolution pics will definitely occupy more space. Also GS games will be quite big.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I will post here as soon as I know the official prices..
On a side note, how is it that the Pay&Go O2 version costs so much now compared to the old 3g prices? I hope Tim and Vodafone don't follow that trend and my friend was right, since he'll be selling them..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.