Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Is there any combo card out around that's USB3.0+eSATA 6?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
there is no esata add-on card for the Mac pro.

There is.

OP, if you meant that is there a card that has both, USB 3.0 and eSATA 6Gb/s, no I don't think so. The both require their own controller so that might cause issues. If you're okay with getting two PCIe cards, then go ahead

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
There is.

OP, if you meant that is there a card that has both, USB 3.0 and eSATA 6Gb/s, no I don't think so. The both require their own controller so that might cause issues. If you're okay with getting two PCIe cards, then go ahead

Yeah, I meant both... I know there's quite a few solo eSATA cards out there. (There's also this one: http://www.directron.com/rocket622.html , though I think I'd prefer the 4-port http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/connection/highpoint-pcie2-x4-quad-esata-6gb-raid-hba )

I was hoping for a single-combo card to not use so many slots...like an Adaptec AUA-5020 but newer and OSX ready. :) heh.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Yeah, I meant both... I know there's quite a few solo eSATA cards out there. (There's also this one: http://www.directron.com/rocket622.html , though I think I'd prefer the 4-port http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/connection/highpoint-pcie2-x4-quad-esata-6gb-raid-hba )

I was hoping for a single-combo card to not use so many slots...like an Adaptec AUA-5020 but newer and OSX ready. :) heh.
Avoid Highpoint like the proverbial Plague. Their gear tends to be all over the place (it all comes from different ODM's, so consistency is a joke), and the support is worse. Not all of their products will even work in MP's, and some that they state will boot, won't (RAID cards certainly come to mind).

As per a combination card, No. There's no such animal, and I actually doubt there will be (has to do with how PCIe lane configurations). :( So you'd be looking at separate cards (now for sure, but likely the only way you'd be able to do it).

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
On the Caldigit USB3 has anyone here actually tested it? I looked on their site and it seems that it is shipping. I get the impression that they are not well regarded around here but surely someone has bought it by now? :)

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
As per a combination card, No. There's no such animal, and I actually doubt there will be (has to do with how PCIe lane configurations). :( So you'd be looking at separate cards (now for sure, but likely the only way you'd be able to do it).

Well, that's not true.

I just need this card to have OSX drivers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995004

On Slickdeals, this guy said the eSATA ports worked in OSX, but not the USB3.0s so far: https://slickdeals.net/deals/tech/

[added]
Actually looks like its just an NEC 3.0 USB controller on that chip, wonder if I can track down some isolated drivers for it... I'll take a chance on it for $25.

While I originally held some hope for using CalDigit's driver, I came across another post in the forums here that said he tried and it seems CalDigit has not only locked the driver to their cards via vendorID, but it also locked the driver to their ENCLOSURES for USB3.0...that's just sad.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Well, that's not true.

I just need this card to have OSX drivers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995004

On Slickdeals, this guy said the eSATA ports worked in OSX, but not the USB3.0s so far: https://slickdeals.net/deals/tech/

[added]
Actually looks like its just an NEC 3.0 USB controller on that chip, wonder if I can track down some isolated drivers for it... I'll take a chance on it for $25.

While I originally held some hope for using CalDigit's driver, I came across another post in the forums here that said he tried and it seems CalDigit has not only locked the driver to their cards via vendorID, but it also locked the driver to their ENCLOSURES for USB3.0...that's just sad.

This is pretty simple: No drivers................ no card.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Well, that's not true.

[added]

It's the first I've seen, but it has some limitations.

1. The card's a bit gimped (PCIe Gen 2.0 compliant = 500MB/s per lane). Both the SATA and USB 3.0 ports exceed 500MB/s each, so it will throttle if the device attached can really utilize the interface, just as every other USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0Gb/s chip does. The currently available chips (6.0Gb/s SATA and USB 3.0) are a compromise to do with PCIe lane configurations/availability. Once more lanes/higher band become available, better chips will release (i.e. PCIe Gen 3.0 = 1GB/s per lane).
2. As mentioned, No Drivers for OS X, so it's useless OTB.

If you want to give it a shot, go for it. You might get lucky attempting to use CalDigit's drivers and the OEM SATA drivers in OS X (newertech non PM card and others using the same chip will do this).

Good luck with it.

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I've got a Asus U3S6 SATA 6GB/ USB 3.0 controller in my Mac Pro, the SATA ports show up as Esata, but as of yet there are no drivers for the USB3 ports, I don't personally need to use them anyway so it's not a problem for me. Hope this helps.
P.S. it's only about £30 as well :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Just spoke to Caldigit. The usb 3.0 port card is not locked to their drive only if that is what the above post was saying. It will work on any usb 3.0 device or drive.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Just spoke to Caldigit. The usb 3.0 port card is not locked to their drive only if that is what the above post was saying. It will work on any usb 3.0 device or drive.

Ah okay, yeah, I got that from another thread here on MacRumors of someone who was doing some testing with their card.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
It's the first I've seen, but it has some limitations.

1. The card's a bit gimped (PCIe Gen 2.0 compliant = 500MB/s per lane). Both the SATA and USB 3.0 ports exceed 500MB/s each, so it will throttle if the device attached can really utilize the interface, just as every other USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0Gb/s chip does. The currently available chips (6.0Gb/s SATA and USB 3.0) are a compromise to do with PCIe lane configurations/availability. Once more lanes/higher band become available, better chips will release (i.e. PCIe Gen 3.0 = 1GB/s per lane).
2. As mentioned, No Drivers for OS X, so it's useless OTB.

If you want to give it a shot, go for it. You might get lucky attempting to use CalDigit's drivers and the OEM SATA drivers in OS X (newertech non PM card and others using the same chip will do this).

Good luck with it.

Thanks. Do note that the Asus card is a 4x PCIe card, where as the CalDigit card is only a 1x PCIe card, and most 6gb eSATA cards I see around are 1x PCIe as well. Our Mac Pro's are actually one of the more interesting motherboards floating around with extra 4x slots instead of only 1x slots without having to grab a graphic card slot.

My plan was something along the lines of eSATA 6gb SSD's, and a USB3.0 for the external platter-based stuff...

Just have to hope for a random driver show up. :) lol.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thanks. Do note that the Asus card is a 4x PCIe card, where as the CalDigit card is only a 1x PCIe card, and most 6gb eSATA cards I see around are 1x PCIe as well. Our Mac Pro's are actually one of the more interesting motherboards floating around with extra 4x slots instead of only 1x slots without having to grab a graphic card slot.
I know the ASUS card is 4x lanes (Gen 2.0 compliant). I just wanted to let you know, that the currently available controller chips are gimped as a compromise to do with the PCIe lanes (i.e. 1x lane per port, and at best, can only transfer 500MB/s, not the full band the port tech is capable of; ~540MB/s for SATA 6.0Gbs real world, or 625MB/s for USB 3.0). IT's still faster than SATA 3.0Gb/s and USB 2.0, but it's not giving you the full bandwidth the tech is supposed to be able to do. ;)

As per the MP, you might want to be aware, that the board's not as special as you might think, as Slots 3 & 4 share the same 4x lanes via a PCIe switch located on the backplane board (the chipset only has 36 lanes, and the graphics slots take up 32 of them). :eek:

It's the lane count and target usage that limits the slot configurations (why servers tend to go for 8x lane slots, as RAID, FC, .... cards used in such systems tend to be 8x lane cards). But gamer boards will go for graphics slots (SLI and/or Crossfire configs) to get customers after higher frame rates. It all depends on what the board is meant for.

There are ways around this, but it means either another chipset (master-slave config; not seen any board makers take this route), or a 3rd party part(s), such as the nForce 200 that other boards do use (why there are boards with 3 or 4x graphics card slots, though they also allow those to be shared for an 8 + 8 config if the user desires). But such boards, assuming the firmware is capable of handling Xeon parts (ECC based RAM), are also good for high-end workstation use.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I figured I was going to run into the lane limitations with one card or two, so I was thinking I'd at least try to keep some flexibility in there. I know it would hit performance depending on what I was doing, but it does leave some options open. Does the 36-lane limit just apply to all PCI 2 chipsets?

I'm not that desperate for USB3 connectivity yet, I prefer the eSATA 6 for the SSDs I'd like to get to mount them internally...outside of the SSD's, the other drives I use will be fine chugging a long on the OEM eSATA ports since I only get 7200rpm drives... I don't have the low-latency disk access use case that most of the video guys have, this is just a personal preference to have the primary functions of the mac (and booting) work faster, so it didn't need to be perfect. :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Does the 36-lane limit just apply to all PCI 2 chipsets?
To those meant for the LGA1366 parts, Yes (highest lane count made to date). The original intention was to make both a 24 and 36 lane part for each system (4x total chipsets), but ark.intel.com only lists out the 36 lane variants, so they must have decided against it.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
There now is a PCIe card that have both USB 3.0 and eSATA. It's the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 2 Port USB 3.0 & eSATA 6Gb/s Host Adapter.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/FASTA6GU3/

I'm considering this card, along with a few OWC two bay eSATA enclosures. I'm also looking at a Sans Digital 4 bay enclosure that comes with card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10446076&PID=4169666&SID=1c2ovcrtsgh35

The Sans Digital, which I'd most likely not use for RAID, seems like the better deal. Any opinions?

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
On the Caldigit USB3 has anyone here actually tested it? I looked on their site and it seems that it is shipping. I get the impression that they are not well regarded around here but surely someone has bought it by now? :)

I am using 1 of these with a Stardom JBOD.
Works OK, but I have found 2 issues:
1. Won't detect an un-initialised drive (I confirmed this with a Voyager Q HDD Dock - wouldn't detect via USB3, but success via the Firewire interface).
2. Read only for NTFS drives even when Paragon NTFS installed.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.