Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Open the below attached GIF images in full screen (the thumbnails won't be so obvious)

If you are viewing this on a TN film based panel the colours will change depending on your vertical viewing angle.

- Purple:
From below, the colour will be close to pure blue
From above, it will appear a washed out bright purple

- Green:
From below will be close to dark green
From above a washed out bright yellow

- Cyan:
From below will be almost pure blue
From above almost turquoise

- Grey:
From below will look black
From above white

If you are NOT getting these distortions, you do NOT have a TN film based panel - it will either be S-IPS or S-PVA.

Again, open the attached GIF images in full screen (the thumbnails won't be so obvious)

NOTE: All notebooks will produce this side effect as they all use TN Film panels. This is normal.

Thanks for participating!

L

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
It would be handy if this could be tested by a NEW iMac 20" and 24" owner.

I'm hoping the 24" panel will not have this distortion. :rolleyes:

Thanks

L.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Attached GIF equivilents for those without Photoshop

Click on thumbnail for full screen

Attachments

• cyan.gif
    cyan.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 798
  • grey.gif
    grey.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 380
  • purple.gif
    purple.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 371
  • yellow.gif
    yellow.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 354

kap91

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
With my iMac 20" Intel Core Duo the colors stay practically the same unless I'm at like a 180 degree angle at which they darken slightly. Anyway though, what is a TN Film based panel?

kap91

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Cheers.

Is this the new 2007 iMac?

Are you viewing from above and below (not left to right?)

Well, if your talking to me, then no. This iMac is the original Intel iMac with the Intel Core Duo NOT Core 2 Duo. I have viewed it from top, bottom, left, and right. The colors stay practically the same,only very slight darkening. If you're not talking to me then sorry for making this post.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Well, if your talking to me, then no. This iMac is the original Intel iMac with the Intel Core Duo NOT Core 2 Duo. I have viewed it from top, bottom, left, and right. The colors stay practically the same,only very slight darkening. If you're not talking to me then sorry for making this post.

That sounds about right as the older iMacs have the superior S-IPS panels just like the cinema displays. The new 20" iMac has the TN Film type (as will ALL notebooks) which are generally 6bit and have this known side effect. The new 24" iMac is still an unknown, which is the main reason for this post.

Thanks for checking :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
That sounds about right as the older iMacs have the superior S-IPS panels just like the cinema displays. The new 20" iMac has the TN Film type (as will ALL notebooks) which are generally 6bit and have this known side effect. The new 24" iMac is still an unknown, which is the main reason for this post.

Thanks for checking :)

What do the previous gen iMacs have i.e the Core 2 Duos in white.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
They seem to change as you describe for me. I'm on a new imac 20" bought yesterday....

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
They seem to change as you describe for me. I'm on a new imac 20" bought yesterday....

Thanks Craiger - this is normal behavior for a TN Film panel.

I would like to know if anyone with a new 24" iMac is getting the same behavior or not...

Applespider

macrumors G4
A suggestion: you know the answer to all Mac laptops and the new 20" is a TN screen. I'm not entirely sure why you re-edited your original mail to ask everyone to post the answer.

The only question you have left is whether the new 24" iMac has 'fails' your test. Change the title to something like "New 24" iMac owners - test your screen" and you'll probably get an answer quicker.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
A suggestion: you know the answer to all Mac laptops and the new 20" is a TN screen. I'm not entirely sure why you re-edited your original mail to ask everyone to post the answer.

The only question you have left is whether the new 24" iMac has 'fails' your test. Change the title to something like "New 24" iMac owners - test your screen" and you'll probably get an answer quicker.

Done - thanks for the suggestion :)

Looking more into the 24" panel type, I have reason to believe Apple have chosen the same panel that Dell are using in their 2407WFP, which is the Samsung S-PVA LTM240M2 or LTM240L2. No proof yet, but that is where I'd put my virtual money... :)

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
AT the local apple store now - trying this out on a 24" aluminum iMac.

I am not tall enough to tell the colors from above and the wire is too short to move the monitor. However, from below the colors do not appear to change dramatically - what I can tell you at about the lower level from two
heads
below - is that the colors appear to be a bit muddier - not necessarily darker.

In person the glare is really a non-issue for me. The screen is super bright and I thought for sure I would hate bright. But really liking it. Especially since i have the old 24 right next to it to compare. Much brighter and cleaner looking colors for the same imagery.

BTW - unrelated - I am liking the keyboard. 'Course I also have a macbook and that may be why - pretty used to it already. Could have a bit more of an angle - but typing is really nice. I tend to fat finger and kill my text typing.

I like it!

Therese

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus

I am not tall enough to tell the colors from above and the wire is too short to move the monitor. However, from below the colors do not appear to change dramatically - what I can tell you at about the lower level from two
heads

In person the glare is really a non-issue for me. The screen is super bright and I thought for sure I would hate bright. But really liking it. Especially since i have the old 24 right next to it to compare. Much brighter and cleaner looking colors for the same imagery.

BTW - unrelated - I am liking the keyboard. 'Course I also have a macbook and that may be why - pretty used to it already. Could have a bit more of an angle - but typing is really nice. I tend to fat finger and kill my text typing.

I like it!

Therese

Awesome, good news on all fronts.

24" is not TN.

Hd 2600 pro is actually a custom made card for apple.

Glossy screen can be fixed with screen protector.

I heard the 2.8 is overclockable??

Cool...:cool::apple:

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007

heads

I like it!

Therese

Great stuff!

If you're near a 20", try the test again. In theory the results will be dramatically different the 24" (so just to confirm you are seeing a difference between the two)

Thanks again!

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Awesome, good news on all fronts.

24" is not TN.

Hd 2600 pro is actually a custom made card for apple.

Glossy screen can be fixed with screen protector.

I heard the 2.8 is overclockable??

Cool...:cool::apple:

Yeah, the 2.8/24" is looking like the one for me.

Good news about the GPU being better than the standard 2600 Pro (closer to an XT). Hoping improved drivers will keep upping the performance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.