Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Hey guys this is around the internet but I thought I would point it out here I grabbed my mobiltimer app from my iphone 3gs and put it on the ipad works great just like the real one just ssh and put it in the applications folder! here is a link to the app so you don't need to copy it your self
photo1.png

photo2.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/czys1j
Here is a how-to video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTnIewmZ4k

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

CocoaPuffs said:
well the app wasnt included stock

I understand...but is that it?

For some it matters, for some it doesn't. You fall into the latter.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. I was simply expecting something much interesting and thought I have overlooked.

erillanos

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I added it into my applications folder like in the video and it has not shown up . do I have to do a extra step.?

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
It should just work i went to / then to applications and added it. After that you need to respring it will show up as a blank icon and its called mobletimer it works just as the clock does if you do a hard restart of the ipad it will come up with the clock icon leme know if it works

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain

CocoaPuffs said:

Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. I was simply expecting something much interesting and thought I have overlooked.

No problem, just came across as a little belittling of someone (the OP) who has taken some effort to inform & help others who may be interested. It's fine that you don't find it interesting.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
It should just work i went to / then to applications and added it. After that you need to respring it will show up as a blank icon and its called mobletimer it works just as the clock does if you do a hard restart of the ipad it will come up with the clock icon leme know if it works

Works well..thx for the vid

Although, i can't seem to get the clock icon...just stays as the white icon after a soft reset and a hard reboot..

Any ideas on what i might try to score the icon?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Blank icon only.

Wish it could be in HD like they made the Voice Control work on it but I'll take this for now. Thanks. But how to solve the Blank icon issue (and name change)

Imidazole

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2004
Here's the question though: does it work properly? Or will I have to leave it open like all the other alarm apps?

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
To get the icon

To get the icon you can try a respring/Hard restart all I had to do was hold the power button and restart and i twas there when it came back. Hope this helps

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Hi, are you able to do the same for the other stock iPhone apps, eg the phone app?

Thanks
Yes I have heard that the compus app works but I am assuming this is with the 3g ipad. The phone app can be put on the ipad I remember putting it on the ipod 2g back in the day, It will not work for obvious no phone parts but maybe they can get it working over the 3g modle one day..... it would suck to try and talk on the ipad though lol but good for speaker phone

bluraven

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Thank you very much for sharing this. I posted these comments on the youtube video and thought they might be helpful here as well:

Didn't work for me. I SSH'd and put it on the ipad and rebooted the ipad and a white icon for mobiletimer showed up and when I try to launch it-it crashes/does nothing. I did the SSH and upload of mobiletimer from a windows machine. I uploaded the main MobileTimer.app folder and not the ._Mac_OS one. Any suggestions? Does it have to be done with a mac.

update: apparently I had to set permissions recursively to 755 for the folder after I uploaded it, now the app launches but it still has a blank white icon. Hoping someone knows a fix for the icon problem.

Update again: Downloading any app from cydia will fix the icon for the MobileTimer.  I guess something cydia does when installing the app must force a rebuild of the icon cache or something.

Last Update I swear: just wanted to mention that for some reason after putting the mobiletimer app on my ipad it broke my wifi icon from showing up when connected to wifi. If this happens to you too, I found that under the settings app>General>reset>Reset Network Settings, fixed that. I had to do it twice I think but then the wifi icon started showing up again after that. Also a quick way to rename the icon from "MobileTimer" to clock can be done by grabbing an app from cydia called Rename

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
How is it working fine for everyone when my Timer section is totally unuseable. Does everyone's timer work OK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.