Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2012
UK
My rMBP used to display a window when I pressed the power button, that allowed me to select whether to sleep or shutdown. Now under 10.9 it just goes straight to sleep. Not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Sevbh

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
mine too, and my brothers laptop.

Very annoying.... can't find the settings to fix it though :mad:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
My rMBP used to display a window when I pressed the power button, that allowed me to select whether to sleep or shutdown. Now under 10.9 it just goes straight to sleep. Not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Pretty sure it's been mentioned a couple times in the 'all the little things' thread.

Press - sleep
Short hold - dialogue (sleep, shutdown, restart)
Long hold - forced power down

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Hey there

I noticed this too! Couldn't find a setting to change it but if you hold down the power button, the old options box comes up.

:)

Fred Leonard

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Fix yet?

It was so stupid when Apple reversed the vertical mouse access, and now this!

Does anyone know of a fix yet until TinkerTool or someone comes out with one?

Is there a plist file to edit somewhere?

I have no idea why Apple would screw with the power button when it has worked well since the 1st Mac.
Maybe the guy that reversed the mouse wanted to try hard to get fired by creating another blunder.

ruqui

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
This new behaviour is just plain stupid! If I want to quickly sleep my notebook, I just need to close the macbook, I don't know why I need TWO different ways of doing the same thing, the worst part is that, by modifying the behaviour of the power button, they remove the option of quickly shutting down the computer.

In other words, before Mavericks I have the options to 1) quickly put the notebook to sleep and 2) shutdown the computer; now I have 2 different ways of putting the notebook to sleep and no way to quickly shutdown it ... stupid.

xxyff

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
it only turns the screen off, not sleep

oh yes it does go to sleep! because the internet connection breaks too!

it's a super nice design when you have a one year old son pressing your keyboards all the time, and accidentally the computer just goes to sleep and all connections break! yohoooo!

stobre

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
power menu

unfortunately i dont have a solution for deactivating the sleep mode on a normal press of the power button.

but if u want to access the power menu, u can either hold the power button for 2 seconds (which is slow), or press control+power button (which is faster).

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Loved how the power button worked before.
Hate that the power button functionality has now changed.

Who would want to keep the lid open on their macbook and put it to sleep?
No thanks. Just close the lid, keep the dust out and let it sleep.

Power Button -> shut down like before please. Quick and easy. No fuss. Very nice.

I am at pains with this stupid, stupid change.

lo100469

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Brussels
i guess on the iMac the new features allow quick access to sleep, while this is pointless on a laptop as you just close the lid.
But the only change on the laptop is that you have to press longer to get to the menu, so not too much of big deal..

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Yes. Sleep is better for you. Most people will want to do this rather than shutdown, so a quick tap is the quickest and most effective approach. It also cuts down on the number of people who moan on the internet that it takes ages to do a shutdown!

----------

Article on apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5869?viewlocale=en_US

Seems like the only solution is to only use ctrl-power button or ctrl-eject. I will probably stick with ctrl-eject as I'm used to it on other systems.

You only need solutions to problems. It's not actually much of a problem if you have to spend 1.5 seconds of your life requesting a shutdown.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I was sure there was a widget you could put on your desktop which allowed easy access to shutdown, restart and sleep...

losblancos

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Bad Idea

I hate this new power button option, simple reason for that i use vpn for my office work so when I'm writing code and accidentally press the power button in mountain lion it would show me the shutdown restart dialog which was nice, but now in mavericks it puts the damn thing to sleep and my vpn connections, uploads all get reset which is very irritating, its happened twice already so now whenever i need to press the delete button i need to look carefully at which button it is I'm pressing

whoever the genius was who thought that this is a good idea is a c*** :mad:

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
i guess on the iMac the new features allow quick access to sleep, while this is pointless on a laptop as you just close the lid.
But the only change on the laptop is that you have to press longer to get to the menu, so not too much of big deal..

You don't even have to wait. You get the get the shut down dialog straight away if you hit ctrl and Power.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Pretty sure it's been mentioned a couple times in the 'all the little things' thread.

Press - sleep
Short hold - dialogue (sleep, shutdown, restart)
Long hold - forced power down
You don't even have to wait. You get the get the shut down dialog straight away if you hit ctrl and Power.
Thanks for this :) ...don't know why Apple would do this and not mention it somewhere, ...at least for those of us updating and not getting new machines, you know? ...I mean, we are all used to hitting the power button and getting the options of what we want to do...it's kind of freaky to hit it and the screen goes black!

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
So riddle me this, Batman: after updating my rMBP to Mavericks, the computer goes to sleep IMMEDIATELY upon hitting the power button. By which I mean, before I even have a chance to lift the button up. The second the key bottoms out, the screen is dark.

What this means is that I am not given any opportunity to "hold the button down" as documented in order to get the dialog box with the shutdown options. I can continue to hold the power button down after the screen goes dark, but if I hold it down long enough, that will only result in the computer being force-powered-off.

Ctrl+Power works as expected, but WhyTF can I not hold down the power button "for 1.5 seconds" as documented to get the dialog box?

-- Nathan

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out: I'm using KeyRemap4MacBook, and apparently it somehow causes this side-effect. I don't even have a remap specified for the power button and it still causes it to act this way. If I unload it, the power button works as documented. If I leave it running but simply disable all key remaps and tweaks, the power button still instantly makes the machine go to sleep. From the sounds of it, this will be fixed in the Mavericks-only version 9.0.0 due out shortly. In the meantime, I will live with remembering to use Ctrl+Power.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.